Not sure which SDA 2 these are.

Options
johnkalio
johnkalio Posts: 14
edited May 2021 in Vintage Speakers
Hello all,
I've been looking for a pair of Polk SDAs any model I could find but not much these days here in Canada. I stumbled on these SDA 2s. I can't tell which ones they are. I attached the pics for more clarity. I know that the tweeter on one has been changed they are pin/blade and no interconnect cable from what the owner's daughter has told me. Not sure if the are desirable either compared to the other models.
uwglnihxvy19.jpg
f4ldqauwlo4k.jpg
zl57gkghf1kb.jpg
0c541qhfvqac.jpg
obukv2tvpan3.jpg
7yz5o0s7pncc.jpg
rqn1qbsifoie.jpg
pf8u14w1zzz1.jpg
u5ppncnbovmf.jpg
Post edited by johnkalio on

Comments

• DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,480
    Options
    First pic is not the same pair of speakers. Those are 2B's. I believe because of the blade/blade interconnect, the others are 2A.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,554
    Options
    SDA2a but the very first picture is of the SDA2b two very different speakers
  • johnkalio
    Options
    DaveHo wrote: »
    First pic is not the same pair of speakers. Those are 2B's. I believe because of the blade/blade interconnect, the others are 2A.

These people are fools. No clue what she has now. Thanks for the reply.
  • johnkalio
    Options

Unreal. lol
  • johnkalio
    Options

First picture is a mistake sent by her. I will remove it.
  • johnkalio
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    SDA2a but the very first picture is of the SDA2b two very different speakers

First pic is not correct, removed.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,181
    Options
    Maybe they work for NASA and they used the same procedure they did on the moon photos lol.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    SDA2a. You'll need a good amp to drive them properly. They start at 4ohm and drop to low 3ohm, many receivers will or can go into protection mode driving them. I would NOT use that interconnect cable without the proper spades or switch the connection on the speaker to neutrik connection.

https://www.neutrik.com/en/product/nl2fx
  • johnkalio
    Options
    SDA2a. You'll need a good amp to drive them properly. They start at 4ohm and drop to low 3ohm, many receivers will or can go into protection mode driving them. I would NOT use that interconnect cable without the proper spades or switch the connection on the speaker to neutrik connection.

I have not bought them yet. Doing my homework before I watse my time and money. Do you think they're woth it? If I do get them I have a few Yamaha M80s I'm sure could rock these speakers.
  • pitdogg2
    edited May 2021
    Options
    johnkalio wrote: »
    Hello all,
    I've been looking for a pair of Polk SDAs any model I could find but not much these days here in Canada. I stumbled on these SDA 2s. I can't tell which ones they are. I attached the pics for more clarity. I know that the tweeter on one has been changed they are pin/blade and no interconnect cable from what the owner's daughter has told me. Not sure if the are desirable either compared to the other models.

OK please be very clear as to what you are asking
    The bold above Pin/Blade model will be a SDA2b very desirable speaker easier to drive at 6ohm.
    If they are Blade/blade then those are SDA2a a less desirable and a very demanding speaker as to needing a dedicated amp. The Yamaha M80's were decent amps but very long in the tooth and in need of new caps and possibly other parts on the boards.

• johnkalio
    Options
    Hello all,

OK please be very clear as to what you are asking
    The bold above Pin/Blade model will be a SDA2b very desirable speaker easier to drive at 6ohm.
    If they are Blade/blade then those are SDA2a a less desirable and a very demanding speaker as to needing a dedicated amp. The Yamaha M80's were decent amps but very long in the tooth and in need of new caps and possibly other parts on the boards.

The pics I posted above are for a pair that I'm looking to buy. I'm not sure if they are 2As or 2Bs. It looks to me pin/blade from the pics, I think. Also would they be desirable as you mentioned if they are indeed 2Bs.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,792
    Options
    They are way beyond a shadow of doubt the 2A with the blade/blade SDA cable connections.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2
    edited May 2021
    Options
    The picture you included of the interconnect socket is of the SDA2a. It is a Blade/blade socket. They are good speakers but need a good amp to function properly long term. Like I said the SDA2a are a 4ohm speaker that drops to the low 3ohm area.

The SDA2b (not pictured) ARE pin/blade. They are 6ohm and are a much better speaker than the SDA2a. (but look very similar in that both have 2 drivers and a tweeter and 12" passive radiator)
    The Pin/blade speakers had the socket inside the binding post cup instead of outside the cup like earlier models that had the Blade/blade connection.
  • johnkalio
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    They are way beyond a shadow of doubt the 2A with the blade/blade SDA cable connections.

Thanks for the reply. New to the SDA line.
  • johnkalio
    Options

Thanks for the reply. New to the SDA line.
    The picture you included of the interconnect socket is of the SDA2a. It is a Blade/blade socket. They are good speakers but need a good amp to function properly long term. Like I said the SDA2a are a 4ohm speaker that drops to the low 3ohm area.

The SDA2b (not pictured) ARE pin/blade. They are 6ohm and are a much better speaker than the SDA2a. (but look very similar in that both have 2 drivers and a tweeter and 12" passive radiator)
    The Pin/blade speakers had the socket inside the binding post cup instead of outside the cup like earlier models that had the Blade/blade connection.

Thanks for the clarification. My head is in the clouds today. The SDA 2a which I posted are the harder to drive ones. The 2b are easier to drive.
  • pitdogg2
    edited May 2021
    Options
    correct.

I've had the SDA2a speaker. I even recapped the entire crossover. It is a more expensive endeavor due to the cap sizes used in the SDA2a crossover. BUT it can be a very nice set of speakers. What is the price they are asking?
  • johnkalio
    Options
    correct.

I've had the SDA2a speaker. I even recapped the entire crossover. It is a more expensive endeavor due to the cap sizes used in the SDA2a crossover. BUT it can be a very nice set of speakers. What is the price they are asking?

They are asking $300 Can. But wrong tweeter and no interconnect cable. I should offer her $100.
  • F1nut
    edited May 2021
    Options

I have not bought them yet. Doing my homework before I watse my time and money. Do you think they're woth it? If I do get them I have a few Yamaha M80s I'm sure could rock these speakers.

The M80 is a dual mono amp meaning it is not a common ground amp and therefore cannot be used with the SDA 2A.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,276
    Options
    I've blown up plenty of amps and receivers over the last 30 years with my sda2a's. They are really nice sounding speakers especially if updated with new rd0194 tweeters and new caps, but they are hard to drive
  • johnkalio
    Options

The M80 is a dual mono amp meaning it is not a common ground amp and therefore cannot be used with the SDA 2A.

You learn something everyday. Sheesh. Now i'm really out of luck. lol
  • F1nut
    Options

The later models with the pin/blade SDA connection can use non-common ground amps with the use of an isolation transformer.

President of Club Polk

• johnkalio
    Options

The later models with the pin/blade SDA connection can use non-common ground amps with the use of an isolation transformer.

Would I be able to drive any of the smaller SDAs?
  • johnkalio
    Options

I haven't checked it myself yet, but they say the M80/M85 are common ground amps.
  • F1nut
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Who says?

Something I just found....
    The Yamaha has a good power supply ( TRUE dual mono with individual iron core non-toroidal transformers for each channel ).

True dual mono does not share a common ground.

President of Club Polk

• johnkalio
    Options
    Who says?

Something I just found....
    The Yamaha has a good power supply ( TRUE dual mono with individual iron core non-toroidal transformers for each channel ).

True dual mono does not share a common ground.

"The easiest way to see if an amplifier is common-ground and therefore suitable for SDA speakers, is to plug an ohmmeter across the two channel's negative terminals, to measure the resistance" That's how I will check it later on this evening to be sure.
  • F1nut
    Options
    Yep, better do that.

President of Club Polk