The PMC project, will build it anyway as long as its a back pack!

VR3
VR3 Posts: 27,968
For our very own @Clipdat

Tweeter/Mid Network -
Clarity Cap CMR
Path Audio resistors
Jantzen wax foil inductor
Supra Rondo wiring

Custom made Delrin terminal plates, laser finished/etched
Custom made burl maple substrates with a delrin back layer
Custom delrin component mounts
All stainless steel hardware
WBT binding post
Point to Point wired
tunable high frequency circuit, about a 1.5db difference higher when engaged

nula8d7jahpf.jpg
4q6bkzud4723.jpg
ptdyhyhuh9bt.jpg
t5hh9ibe8rv0.jpg
zscbvbojncpr.jpg

- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.

Comments

• Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,136
    edited May 2021
    Wow Wow Wow (as usual)! Will there be a switch for the tunable high freq circuit or is it movable wires on a terminal block? What adhesive works well for adhering the wood veneer to the Delrin?

Also, what are the metal cutting capabilities of your CNC laser? I don't suppose it can cut steel can it?
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • VR3
    Thanks guys!

Yes there is a terminal block that you insert a wire to bypass a resistor to adjust the highs. When simulating the crossover, I noted the rise and added a resistor to adjust it slightly back to flat.

The wood is actually quarter inch solid burl, but then it is backed by a quarter inch piece of delrin. I used power grab ultimate which seems to work really well as long as you sand the delrin.

The laser can't cut or etch metal but you can use a spray to "engrave" it but that is really a chemical reaction more than anything. A laser capable of doing cutting is way way more powerful and much more money
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • VR3
    Thanks Drew!

Im almost done with the other one which is mirror imaged, should tie it all together! 😊
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    edited May 2021
    Beautiful.
    I disabled signatures.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Crazy impressive build!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • VR3
    Thanks guys! Glad to see you around @verb! Hope all is well
  • Gerres26
    Gerres26 Posts: 859
    Freakin awesome Trey!
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    ao4b95a5dlbu.gif
    Beach Audio: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Schiit Yggy * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • VR3
    edited May 2021
    All your base are belong to me
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    I like the laser cut "Twenty.22" on the front of the felt pad.
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    Amazing work! Looking forward to the review.
  • VR3
    Thanks guys. It is neat how the laser can engrave into the felt
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Beautiful, artful work!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Clipdat
    edited May 2021
    Woot, these are now on their way back to me!

giphy.gif
  • VR3
    How do these things sound huh 😜
  • Clipdat
    edited July 2021
    To be honest I haven't had a real good opportunity to sit down for a critical listen yet. I've just been breaking them in still at background levels while tending to & tweaking my other systems. They probably have about 250 hours on them now.

However I'm getting really close now to hooking up some different/better gear to them and sitting down for a close listen.

While I do want to reserve ultimate judgement for after I've spent some more time with them, I will say that I'm more than satisfied with the sound quality and I believe the upgrade was worth every penny.
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,066
    Drew, I would be happy to have those just to admire!
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Hey Drew.

Have you had much time listening to them yet?
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Clipdat
    Unfortunately no. Been spending what little uninterrupted free listening time I've had with headphones lately.
  • VR3
    Sincerely appreciate the write up Drew and glad you have enjoyed the end result!

Thank you!
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Hey Drew.

GREAT description of the joy a person can experience when listening to music with high quality speakers and gear. Sonic Nirvana. ;)

I've had that thought of 'how can it sound better than this?" quite a few times in my journey and hobby.
    Then I hear better. But it's usually because I stepped up on the price of electronics or speakers ladder. I still have to do the interconnect upgrades so...there's more in store for me to experience when I do that.

I've learned a lot from members here and there's one common statement, If you don't think it can get better...buy some higher quality "what-ever" over what we have now.

With stereo stuff, I've found we get what we pay for.

I wish I could come over and hear those speakers. I wish I could hear that Pass Labs amp powering those speakers too!

I'm glad the cross-over upgrade proved to be a giant upgrade that you and Trey imagined AND predicted it would be.

I also love that feeling of hearing music floating all around me. Coming from the wall instead of the speakers. Sounds from the left and right where there are no speakers is one of my favorite "trips".

Congrats to you both on your collaboration success! B)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • verb
    Drew you sure have a natural talent for writing reviews! Loved it! And I’m happy for you, you’ve got a set of killer bookies for sure!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • verb
    And of course a shout out to VR3 mods for an excellent job! Wow!