So what should be my next upgrade?

Options
Milito
Milito Posts: 1,909
edited May 2021 in 2 Channel Audio
I still have my last govt stimulus check of $1,400.00 and could spend a little more or spend even more if I sell some of my present audio gear.

I showed my wife the L700's and told her I could get rid of the sub if I got them which would give up a little more room on the wall all of my audio is setup on in our new house. She wasn't too keen on having wider speaker than my 705's, but didn't completely say no. I didn't tell her what they cost yet. Any other speakers around $3,000 -$3,500 that would give better bass response and overall that the 705's or should I keep them and upgrade my other equipment?

BTW my setup sounds better in our new house. We haven't got everything place yet so pardon the mess.

Yamaha RX-A2070, Music Hall A70.2 integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, HSU VTF-2 MK5, LSiM705, LSiM704, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Fluance RT85, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp

w239skhuehik.jpg

Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.

Comments

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,369
    edited May 2021
    Options
    I'm almost disappointed to say this, but I don't see anything that needs to be upgraded. The audio setup looks solid. Maybe consider a pair of matching subwoofers for better bass.

If this is a home theater system too, what's being used as the video source? May want to consider a 4K OLED display depending on what you have now.

Congrats on the new place.
  • Milito
    Options
    Thanks for the reply and it's good to be in a one story home again. I'm nearly getting too old for climbing stairs.

I really don't have room for another sub on that wall. I have a Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios. I would rather spend the money on audio than video as what we have is good enough for us.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,871
    edited May 2021
    Options
    @Milito i would get rid of the sub and the plastic containers, mount the tv on the wall and get a smaller audio rack thus giving more room to spread out the speakers and it would look a lot less crowded.
    maybe something like this.
    https://www.crutchfield.com/p_961S24/Solidsteel-S2-4.html
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • Milito
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Marv the plastic containers are from the move and not put up yet, we have items all over the house we haven't unpacked yet.

My wife won't go for an audio rack in the main room, I have already mentioned that to her.
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,871
    Options
    Milito wrote: »
    Marv the plastic containers are from the move and not put up yet. My wife won't go for an audio rack in the main room, I have already mentioned that to her.

then once the sub and containers are gone, center the tv and widen the speakers.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Pretty solid rig.....I’d hang the TV on the wall. Maybe swim a little farther upstream with the turntable but, really, I’d by more music and call it a day.
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options
    You definitely need to spend some money on pictures or tapestry or hanging plants. That room looks like a hospital! ;)
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    Good point. :)
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,053
    Options
    I wouldn’t get rid of the sub since the rig is also used for HT.

I tend to agree with most everyone else; you’ve put together a really nice system.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • PSOVLSK
    Options
    audioluvr wrote: »
    You definitely need to spend some money on pictures or tapestry or hanging plants. That room looks like a hospital! ;)
    BTW my setup sounds better in our new house. We haven't got everything place yet so pardon the mess.

I would venture a guess that the room is not a finished product.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • Milito
    Options
    Thanks for all of the comments. My system does sound a lot better than when I started out, I'm just wondering what my next upgrade should be.

Paul is right, the room is far from finished. All of our pictures and such are still in boxes.

• SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,520
    Options
    If you had anything to trade in, you could get close to the price of
    a PS Audio Stellar power plant 3 power "regenerator".
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,973
    Options
    Thanks for all of the comments. My system does sound a lot better than when I started out, I'm just wondering what my next upgrade should be.

Paul is right, the room is far from finished. All of our pictures and such are still in boxes.

I agree with others that you have a really nice setup!

If you really want to upgrade, we need to know what you think needs improving. And whatever it is, I think it’s probably time to leave Polk 😢. As much as I like the 705s (and there was nothing NEW that could touch them at the adorama blowout prices), there are many better speakers are similar MSRP that can be had for $2000-3000 used. For instance, I liked the PSB imagine Bs better than my 703s (so @steveinaz’s towers would be awesome), and my Dynaudio contour 1.3 mkIIs absolutely destroyed them. I often see the Dynaudio focus towers around that price. The key is that you have to be willing to buy used...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,369
    Options
    I was a bit confused by the use of L700. There's an R700 at $2K a pair and L600 at $3.5K a pair. Either of those are an excellent value when looking at the prices of new speakers from the competition. Both are a little different from the LSiM705 and each other but I wouldn't say there's a lot to be gained by going to the new models if someone already has the 705s. Slightly better bass and some changes in the top end for clarity. I would stretch to the L600 if I was looking to upgrade the speakers but then I'd also want the matching center speaker.
  • Milito
    Options
    @Emlyn Yes, that was a mistake I meant to type L600.

@rooftop59 I'm not opposed to buying used as a lot of my system was bought used.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,433
    Options
    L600, L700, whatever it takes.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,599
    edited May 2021
    Options
    If we have to, overnight Furutech parts from Japan.
  • PSOVLSK
    Options
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    If you really want to upgrade, we need to know what you think needs improving. And whatever it is, I think it’s probably time to leave Polk 😢. As much as I like the 705s (and there was nothing NEW that could touch them at the adorama blowout prices), there are many better speakers are similar MSRP that can be had for $2000-3000 used. For instance, I liked the PSB imagine Bs better than my 703s (so @steveinaz’s towers would be awesome), and my Dynaudio contour 1.3 mkIIs absolutely destroyed them. I often see the Dynaudio focus towers around that price. The key is that you have to be willing to buy used...

Rosso Elba 2
    Usher MD2

But as @Emlyn said, you run into center channel issues if you upgrade the mains.

I’m speaking from no experience here so this may be a ridiculous thought, but maybe a better streamer than the Bluesound???
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,981
    Options
    What cartridge are you using on your TT? Also, I like the zphono a lot but that’s another upgrade option as it’s rather entry level, although great bang for the buck.
  • Milito
    Options
    @dromunds, I'm using a Ortofon 2M Blue Stylus on the Fluance RT 85.
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Options
    I still have my last govt stimulus check of $1,400.00 and could spend a little more or spend even more if I sell some of my present audio gear.

I showed my wife the L700's and told her I could get rid of the sub if I got them which would give up a little more room on the wall all of my audio is setup on in our new house. She wasn't too keen on having wider speaker than my 705's, but didn't completely say no. I didn't tell her what they cost yet. Any other speakers around $3,000 -$3,500 that would give better bass response and overall that the 705's or should I keep them and upgrade my other equipment?

Yamaha RX-A2070, Music Hall A70.2 integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, HSU VTF-2 MK5, LSiM705, LSiM704, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Fluance RT85, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp

w239skhuehik.jpg

I agree with everyone that you have a solid set-up.

If you insist upon upgrading something, never eliminate a sub from your system. 😉

Good luck on your next upgrade selection!
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • audiojh
    audiojh Posts: 1
    Options
    Before upgrading any component in your system consider having your hearing checked to see if any change might be noticeable. I was concerned my old Polk LS90s were losing some pf their capacity and was starting to look for replacements, but I had a hearing test which identified weaknesses in my hearing range. I was skeptical at first because a few years ago I had had a similar test and gor what was considered a high end hearing aid, but it was awful, like listening to music through a hollow pipe, they helped some in hearing voice, but I could not wear them to listen to music. My recent test revealed more deterioration but I was assured that these were programmable and had a specific music program. I tried the sample, sat in my listening chair and tested with Patricia Barbers version of Coltranes Nardis which is a full range test, first with the aids of, and the switched to on: my jaw dropped at what I was not hearing. My memory had been compensating from memory what I was not hearing but could not come close to the now improved sound. $20,000 speakers could not have given me better sound than $5000 hearing aids, $50,000 speakers could not, so I now have thousands left over to buy new music.
    My system: Jolida 302a recently upgraded and new EH EL34 tubes, Polk LS90 (old classical), SOTA Sapphire TT with a new Grado Timbre cartridge on Technics EPA arm, Audio Experience Phono pre amp. Now I have to decide what to upgrade with my new budget
  • Milito
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, but I already wear hearing aids and have a music setting with them which does improve the sound.
  • odcics2
    odcics2 Posts: 309
    Options
    After a few beers, all systems sound better. 👍
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,662
    edited June 2021
    Options
    @dromunds, I'm using a Ortofon 2M Blue Stylus on the Fluance RT 85.

I'm thinking like dromunds. That 2M Blue could be improved on rather easy. Over the last year I purchased a 2M Bronze and was never really satisfied with it. Just in the last week I changed it for a Denon 301 and that made a significant change for the better on that turntable.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options
    odcics2 wrote: »
    After a few beers, all systems sound better. 👍

That's nothing. You should try weed.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus