Contiental DWS06 Plus Tires

mantis
mantis Posts: 17,056
edited May 2021 in The Clubhouse
gvfwd72qtjz1.jpeg
Hello all,
Recently I purchased a full set of barely used Charger Dynamics package/Daytona 392/ 1320 / T/A Wheels in 20 x 9.5.
My original plan was just to use them at the drag strip , buy a set of Drag Radials and something from the fronts or use my Factory Scat Pack wheels up front.

Well the Nitto NT555RII's I want and the NT05R's are both on back order and I'm waiting for them to come in.
So I kept going in the garage , looking at the new wheels and said, the hell with it, I'm gonna use them as my daily Rims and go buy the DWS06 Plus tires I wanted.

So I called my local Tire City and they said they can have them in a day. They called me today and I was actually driving to a job and was basically passing right by my house. So I stopped in, grabbed the wheels in my work truck and dropped them off. They had them done in like an hour and 1/2.
So on my way back to the shop, I stopped by Tire City which by the way is 5 minutes from my house, paid for the tires and Mounting and took them home.

I came home from work and Swapped them out using my Wife's Factory Jack. It's actually nice and the wheel stops is a first. I actually enjoyed using it for my tire swap.

First impressions after a nice drive is they feel more comfortable, more planted and more stable. They have changed the way the car handles , feels and rides. The wider 9.5 wheels with the wider tires in 275/40ZR20 Square setup is absolutely fantastic and how all Scat Pack non wide body models should come. Dodge need to do away with the pointless 245/45ZR20 tires and 9 inch wheels and just use these.

WOW guys they also hook on a 40 roll where usually I spin the delights out fo the Good Years. I just didn't bother to launch hard or jump on it under 50 mph. No need to burn up brand new tires.

The DWS06 Plus tires so far are remarkable. I'm gonna drive around on them for a few weeks and post my impressions then. But so far I'm tickled pink.
Oh by the way for those who have the older DWS06's , they added Rim Protectors. Look close at the new design.ueuxsmq8xzt0.jpeg
orlod3er453z.jpeg
m95obstoajye.jpeg
Dan
My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Comments

• mantis
    edited May 2021
    anzite0gi3ec.jpeg
    Old tires and wheels. Well the are 8 months old and have 5000 miles on them. They are basically like brand new.
    epfxik8h6qde.jpeg
    Dan
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,367
    Looking good!

I had DWS06 on a 2016 Audi SQ5. Had a set of winter tires too but found the DWS06 performed just fine in light snow so I never put the winter tires on after the first season. They performed almost as well as the stock summer tires, which really were not very good Dunlops, while being more comfortable and better on wet roads.

Recommend keeping an eye on the wear markers for the “S” portion on the tires which is softer and siped for winter driving. The Charger may burn that portion down on the rears after 10K or so and make them no longer suitable as all seasons. Depends on how they’re driven on.
  • mantis
    Emlyn wrote: »
    Looking good!

I had DWS06 on a 2016 Audi SQ5. Had a set of winter tires too but found the DWS06 performed just fine in light snow so I never put the winter tires on after the first season. They performed almost as well as the stock summer tires, which really were not very good Dunlops, while being more comfortable and better on wet roads.

Recommend keeping an eye on the wear markers for the “S” portion on the tires which is softer and siped for winter driving. The Charger may burn that portion down on the rears after 10K or so and make them no longer suitable as all seasons. Depends on how they’re driven on.

I don't do burn out's. I didn't on the Goodyears except for losing traction under throttle because the car over powers those tires even at 40-50 mph. My Goodyears look brand new, yeah they only have 5000 miles on them but they don't look used.

These tires should last a long time. I don't plan on winter driving in the snow, the car will sit in the garage. Actually that's where I want it most of the winter months. I want to buy a Tacoma or 4 Runner as a daily Driver.

Dan
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,909
    Looking good, nice setup.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,926
    I have Continental TerrainContact A/T tires on the old truck, and they are the best driving tire it's ever had (quieter, better handling, and less bouncy on the all terrain suspension when driving at freeway speeds).

Both cars have Michelins with the rim protection. Nobody ever mentioned the option when I bought the tires, and we've been good to our rims after fourteen and fifteen years of use, but I also think that the tires and rims look better with this type of tire. It would certainly avoid minor scrapes.
    Alea jacta est!
  • mantis
    The tires come with rim protectors built in. It's in the side wall. Even the older models had them , they where just small so I didn't notice until I got the new one and looked at the old ones.

My GoodYear RSA2 tires have larger Rim Protectors.
    Dan
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,079
    I just put a set of them on my 2017 GTi. I had the older version on another GTi and really liked them. The new Plus is even better. I live in the Midwest and our roads are crap and we get all seasons weather. So far I'm very impressed. I've only put above 500 miles on them.

They are quiet, with a moderately stiff side wall and very sticky, very responsive and great in the wet! I am a pretty aggressive driver. I have a flash tune which gives almost 100 lb ft of torque over stock and before it was hard to hook-up with the stock Pirelli's. Now it's much easier.

5edug8o1zlc2.png

rndn5wpabeuv.png
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • mantis
    heiney9 wrote: »
    I just put a set of them on my 2017 GTi. I had the older version on another GTi and really liked them. The new Plus is even better. I live in the Midwest and our roads are crap and we get all seasons weather. So far I'm very impressed. I've only put above 500 miles on them.

They are quiet, with a moderately stiff side wall and very sticky, very responsive and great in the wet! I am a pretty aggressive driver. I have a flash tune which gives almost 100 lb ft of torque over stock and before it was hard to hook-up with the stock Pirelli's. Now it's much easier.

5edug8o1zlc2.png

rndn5wpabeuv.png

Nice ride you got there my friend. I also see you don't have any tire dressing on them. This is also our second set of them. One set is on the Audi S4 and now I got them on the Charger Scat Pack. I agree with everything you said about these tires. They really hold the road well. I'm very impressed. But trying to clean and then dress them is a nightmare. They do not hold tire dressing. It's just a mess. I've tried many different products in water based and oil based. Nothing seems so far to hold. I heard CarPro has a dressing that works with these tires but who the hell ever heard of a tire not taking dressing??
    Dan
  • charley96
    charley96 Posts: 306
    That's a first I've ever heard of a tire not holding the dressing, I guess there's a first for everything. I got some Adam's VRT to try after my next wash, it's supposed to have a low sheen.
  • heiney9
    I have not tried dressing them yet. The photo's were right after install. Let me know if you do find something that works well.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • mantis
    charley96 wrote: »
    That's a first I've ever heard of a tire not holding the dressing, I guess there's a first for everything. I got some Adam's VRT to try after my next wash, it's supposed to have a low sheen.

It's a second for me. We have 2 sets. They are the only tires in history that I have ever dealt with that has this issue.
    Dan
  • mantis
    charley96 wrote: »
    Goes both ways my friend. Let me know if you find something that works.

Dan
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,337
    The Conti Extreme Contact DWS are great all season performance tires. I switched from them to the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3. The Mich were more refined feeling but sucked in winter. They improved them with the A/S 3+ and they are some better in snow. Next time I think I'm going back to the Conti ExtremeContact DWS 06.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • mantis
    I've heard that. The DWS06 Plus are probably the best all around tire money can buy as it does everything very good. The older DWS 06 are incredible tires. The Plus just improves on everything.
    I just wish they would have improved the side wall so tire dressing would hold better. That might be silly to some but having nice looking tires is part of it. Just like having nice looking wires.
    Dan
  • heiney9
    These are noticeably better than the previous generation DWS 06. They are so grippy in the dry and a bit better in the wet. But I think the biggest improvement is a stiffer sidewall, but not too stiff. The older model took quite a bit of criticism for having a softer sidewall for UHP tire.

Two things that took Michelin A/S 3+ out of the equation was many said they rode fairly harsh and they were a tad noisy. Plus, I think the now Conti will be better in the snow than the A/S3+.

Both great tires, but I think for a daily driver in multiple climates the DWS 06 Plus is the more refined choice overall. I think they will last longer too, but only time will tell that.

H9
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,548
    Dang it took tires to wake up sleeping Brock beauty....😆

Welcome aboard stranger
  • heiney9
    Yeah, I've been lurking, but just haven;t jumped into the fray. The tires were a recent purchase so I decided to add my .02c....lol

H9
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,367
    I got an S4 last year and replaced the summer tires with Michelin A/S3+ exactly because I thought the old DWS06 were too much compromised toward a soft ride on my SQ5 that wasn't what I wanted on an S4 sedan. That must have been before the Plus version came out. Good to see Continental keeping up with the innovations.

I also recall trying to put tire dressing on the DWS06 when they were relatively new and didn't like the spotty/uneven look so didn't bother to try it again. I figured it had something to do with the chemicals used in the tire compound.
  • mantis
    heiney9 wrote: »
    These are noticeably better than the previous generation DWS 06. They are so grippy in the dry and a bit better in the wet. But I think the biggest improvement is a stiffer sidewall, but not too stiff. The older model took quite a bit of criticism for having a softer sidewall for UHP tire.

Two things that took Michelin A/S 3+ out of the equation was many said they rode fairly harsh and they were a tad noisy. Plus, I think the now Conti will be better in the snow than the A/S3+.

Both great tires, but I think for a daily driver in multiple climates the DWS 06 Plus is the more refined choice overall. I think they will last longer too, but only time will tell that.

H9
    I agree with all of that. We had had the older set on the S4 for 2 years now and they barely look worn. They meter at 8/32's all around which is only 2/32's of wear in about 20k miles. Pretty damn impressive to say the least.

The more I drive on them the less I care about the side wall appearance. I do care but they perform so well and feel so safe.

On my Scat Pack the stock tires felt dangerous. I could spin them at will up to just under 50 mph. If you wanted to pass someone on the highway under 50 mph, and tried to switch lanes under throttle, you could easily go sideways, again unsafe. Under normal driving conditions like making left hand turns at a red light on a slight up hill, you could easily break the tires loose and get out fo control IF you gave it to much throttle. With the DWS06 Plus this is all but gone. I can make left and turns and actually give it some throttle and not spin out of control, I can pass someone at 40mph and not worry about the back end kicking out. So many improvements over stock I could go on and on and on.

These tires IMO should be Dodge's first choice for these cars. They are amazingly safe comfortable and I didn't notice any decrease in MPG. I didn't notice any increase but I thought with the wider square size, I would lose 1 or 2 per and it hasn't changed at all.
    Dan
  • mantis
    Emlyn wrote: »
    I got an S4 last year and replaced the summer tires with Michelin A/S3+ exactly because I thought the old DWS06 were too much compromised toward a soft ride on my SQ5 that wasn't what I wanted on an S4 sedan. That must have been before the Plus version came out. Good to see Continental keeping up with the innovations.

I also recall trying to put tire dressing on the DWS06 when they were relatively new and didn't like the spotty/uneven look so didn't bother to try it again. I figured it had something to do with the chemicals used in the tire compound.

gdbqbfdgvgbv.jpeg
    It's awful. I hate it BUT I did learn a trick to get the tires to look like this
    sqcw35trsy6n.jpeg
    It's not perfect but much better. let me tell you how to pull this off.
    1- Clean them with a high quality Tire and rubber cleaner. Make sure you clean them a few times to make sure there is no brown coming out and your cleaner soap is now pure white and clear.
    2- Dry the tires down with leaf blower
    3- Use a Tar Remover and spray it on a micro fiber towel and wipe the tires down with it. You will notice black stuff coming off and leaving a nice black dry rubber look when your done. Don't get it on your wheels or spray it directly, use the towel.
    4- Clean your tires one more time with a Rubber and tire cleaner.
    5 - Dry tires again and dress with a Water based High quality Dressing like Adams Polishes VRT or Chemical Guys VRP. Jay Lenos garage also makes a really good Rubber and trim dressing that is water based and also works very well.
    6- Apply with an actual Tire sponge and let dry for about 15 minutes.
    7- Apple another coat exactly like step 6.
    8- Now take a clean dry micro fiber towel and wipe each tire down to get any wet dressing out of the lettering. This will stop the streaks after you drive it.

Seems like a lot of work but once you do it, your tires are now prepped. You only need soap and water to clean them the next time around. I wash each week so it's really nice. Then I only need to apply 1 coat of dressing, wait about 15 minutes and then wipe them down. It's the best they can look.
    I'm probably gonna try Tire armor after a few more cycles of wash and dress. Then I'll use my Rubber and tire cleaner and try the Tire Armor. Tire Armor is from Adams Polishes and is a coating like a ceramic coating but for your tires. I used it on my Durango and after 7 months I got tired of the look and decided to strip it off. It lasted and looked as good as the day I applied it 7 months later. Great stuff.
    bcc5eowaos8f.jpeg
    Dan