Watermelon seedlings

oldrocker
oldrocker Posts: 2,590
I got 7 starts that took out of 10.

Be putting them in the ground soon.

Come on sunshine and stay away cicadas, lil basturds better not eat them >:)

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    Cicada's do not have mouths...
    You referring to grubs?
  • oldrocker
    I did not know that, probably why I'm not the best at gardening :o
  • oldrocker
    But dammit I got 7, yes 7 starts :D
  • pitdogg2
    Yep once they fly they die quickly. Mate lay eggs die...
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • oldrocker
    Excellent music choices, added them all to my favorites list.
  • pitdogg2
    Gosh that Tennessee Ernie Ford brings back childhood memories. My Mom and Dad would drag us kids miles to some Podunk towns county fair to see Tennessee Ernie Ford....
  • OleBoot
    OleBoot Posts: 2,065
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Gosh that Tennessee Ernie Ford brings back childhood memories. My Mom and Dad would drag us kids miles to some Podunk towns county fair to see Tennessee Ernie Ford....

I got parked at my granny's during the school holidays (Mum worked) and spent pretty much a whole summer listening to my youngest uncle playing a 78 of "Sixteen Tons" over and over again.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Hmmm, wonder if that works for inflatables. I mean...if you bury one, will a whole bunch suddenly appear ? Asking for Bruce, he's kinda like that.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • oldrocker
    Okay folks, I'm up to 16 out of 21 nicely developed, good looking starts.

If I can get 2-3 melons per start, add in our current "out of control" inflation rate.
    That makes each of these tasty treats say around 50 bucks a pop.

That should be approx. $1,600.00 to $2,400.00 bucks, enough for some new cables ;)

Hell, who am I kidding.
    I'll be lucky if 2 or 3 take and the way things are going, the damn rabbits will get em.

Little buggers already chowing down on my green beans :s
  • pitdogg2
    you need a good Hasenpfeffer recipe..... except Rabbit no good in summer.....unless you want the fever....then by all means dig in :#B)
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    You've got to send those little varmints a message....
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • oldrocker
    Checked the video on the trail cams, gotsa lotsa of the dog giving it her all. >:)

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    edited May 2021

Easier and mo' fun with a pellet **** :)
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,044
    OleBoot wrote: »

I got parked at my granny's during the school holidays (Mum worked) and spent pretty much a whole summer listening to my youngest uncle playing a 78 of "Sixteen Tons" over and over again.

That would tend to make ....... an impression.... on a person.
  • oldrocker
    Getting closer.

687v3pqtrmw3.jpg
    qfqbr4ee0h2r.jpg
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    Nice. What are those blue things?
    I disabled signatures.
  • oldrocker
    Plastic pallets.
  • msg
    Are they made specifically for aiding in growing melons, like for keeping them off the ground? I thought maybe they were foam or something.

I wasn't going to have a garden this year, but decided at the last minute to try Square Foot Gardening, and built a 4x4x1 box to start with. Got some tomatoes and jalapeños. I need to think of other stuff to grow, and am thinking about building a small greenhouse for the cooler months.

Nothing like the taste and satisfaction of homegrown stuff.
    I disabled signatures.
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    This is our first veggie garden at our new house. Keeping it relatively small for now. We started seedlings indoors for a couple months before transplanting. Lost a few in the process when we had some rare 90+ degree days early on.

I don’t have any current photos on hand, but it’s coming in well, but slow. Toms, green peps, penos, cukes, pole beans, squash, and zucchini. Found two plants in the compost pile, so I moved those over as well. One was a tomato and I think the other is pumpkin.

Watermelon, in New England….maybe next year. B)

fdm8vrldyrua.jpegwdg1nv8px1tq.jpeg
    49qngatvb04p.jpeg

Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • oldrocker
    They are just basic plastic pallets that I got from where my Wife works.

I've never grown watermelon or cantaloupe and it's advised to keep the fruit off the ground which the pallets do very well.
    Cantaloupe's have vined like crazy, no fruit yet.

FWIW, I tilled the spot, raked it a bit, put down weed barrier, cut holes in barrier, dug holes, added compost/dirt and planted the seedlings.

If it continues to work this well, next year I plan on using pallets on all ground dwelling items as weeding is a thing of the past. Heck I might just do both gardens completely with them.

I have cukes, beans, tomatoes, various peppers "mild/hot/brutal", corn, carrots, onions and yellow squash. Might be more, don't remember off hand.

Had my first ever problem with the squash vine borer, pesky little bug that killed the squash but I restarted more elsewhere and is doing fine.

Daughter has TONS of herbs & spices all doing well. Spearmint and lemon balm tea's are great.

I can't remember all the stuff she has, it's quite a variety.
  • msg
    Those vine borers are sneaky little #&%*. Last time I tried to grow squash and zuchinni, they started of beautifully, and then all the leaves started to yellow and get crunchy. Next, the zuchinni and squash already on the vines started to grow into weird shapes and shriveled. Found that sneaky little #&%* well after it was too late. I never knew wee beasties like that existed until then. Pure evil they are.
    I disabled signatures.
  • oldrocker
    Yes Sir, them are some nasty bastages for sure and I've never had this issue.

I'm wondering if it had anything to do with my compost recipe or the 17 year cicada?
    I don't track patterns of insects that much in the gardens but this year it seems the insects and activities
    are much different than previous years.

I was able to save one plant by putting some mulch around the base that appeared to be under attack and in distress.

It is now producing squash, yesterday I picked and cooked one, it looked fine internally and tasted good.

FWIW, up to 9 baby watermelons. YEAH!!!
  • oldrocker
    Starting to pop.

qimcvefe2zs4.jpg
    fwys9gixtgzv.jpg
    2e37eezov4td.jpg
  • oldrocker
    Still growing.
    vsi84nao3vwe.jpg

One fell down in the pallet, had a nice square shape to it :D
  • NotaSuv
    NotaSuv Posts: 3,811
    They grow them in square shaped molds in Japan.....sell for pretty good money.............
  • oldrocker
    Wife told me about that, suggested we try a few that way next year.
    I think the total count is around 16.

Cantaloupe on the other hand is real slow, had tons of flowers yet just a few melons.

Found this suggestion online.

Why are my plants not producing fruit?
    Typically when a cantaloupe plant doesn’t produce fruits (or produces small fruits that shrivel up and die before developing fully), it’s a pollination problem. While cantaloupes are self-pollinating—meaning they have both male flowers and female flowers on the vine, if you don’t have many bees or other pollinators to spread the pollen, you’re out of luck!

For the long-term, we recommend increasing pollinator activity by planting lots of pollinator-friendly plants in your garden. For the short-term, you might need to hand pollinate your cantaloupe vines. To do this:

Carefully remove a male flower from the plant. Male flowers have a stamen, which is a pollen covered stalk in the center of the flower.
    Strip away the petals of the male flower so that only the stamen is left.
    Find a female flower—they will sit atop an immature, tiny melon. **Insert the stamen from the male flower into an open female flower and gently tap the stamen on the stigma (a small, sticky knob in the female flower).
    Try to coat the stigma with as much pollen as possible. As long as there is pollen left on the stamen, you can use the same male flower several times on other female flowers.

I ain't doing that, I'd never live that one down.. :D