Carver Amazing Plat’s — Resurrection

TroyD
TroyD Posts: 13,077
Ok, so I couldn’t give the goddam things away....I guess I’m going to end up rehabbing them. Geezuz, I’ve been sitting on them for 15 years.

Ran across a pair of replacement ribbons that were rebuilt by a guy that I actually spoke to a number of years ago from the Carver forum. So, those are on the way.

I’m excited for sentimental reasons.....these were Ted’s and I don’t think George ever forgave me for selling mine years ago.

Stay tuned!
I plan for the future. - F1Nut

Comments

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Awesome as I know you were selling to part out. Glad things came along for the rebuld and we get to experience the revival.
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • TroyD
    edited May 2021
    I just couldn’t tear them apart.....I’ve thought about it but could never bring myself to do it.

Looking forward to this, it’s like going back to your hometown after an extended absence. The Carvers are the only speakers that TLW ever expressed anything other than ambivalence about.

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    If you still want to give them away after you get them singing again, I will gladly take them off your hands
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • TroyD
    HA!

It's more probable than not that they will move along at some point......but, I'm going to play with them for awhile.

Thing about this particular pair is the sentimental attachment. If my first real hifi experience wasn't listening to George Grand's Amazings and If they weren't Ted's....I'd have tossed them in the dump years ago. Honestly, I can think of other speakers that I like better. Gun to my head, I'm taking the Thiel 3.6's every day of the week and twice on Sunday because they do EVERYTHING well and are not fussy about much. The Amazings, not so much. When they are on, they are on. When they aren't....they aren't. And, they have the build quality of a Yugo.

BDT
  • TroyD
    The ribbons arrived today.....in the original boxes and packaging, so hopefully I'll get them installed this evening.

Quick question, I'm assuming that these are just held in with screws around the edge of the ribbon assembly? Are the leads from the X-over soldered to the ribbon terminals or is there a screw type attachment? (I should probably have already looked but thought I'd ask in case I need to stop and get some solder on the way home)

BDT
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,966
    All of these posts and no pictures?????????
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • TroyD
    edited May 2021
    Ribbons are in. GLORIOUS.

Reliving my first Hifi experience with the same demo track....Telarc Round Up....William Tell Overature and the Magnificent Seven.

This is for George Grand and Ted Shimkus. Love those guys.

We deal in lead, friend.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    edited May 2021
    VR3 wrote: »
    All of these posts and no pictures?????????

Pics...Or It Isn't Happening!!!

Come on dude, it's not like your riding a moped or dating the big girl
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    TroyD wrote: »
    The ribbons arrived today.....in the original boxes and packaging, so hopefully I'll get them installed this evening.

Quick question, I'm assuming that these are just held in with screws around the edge of the ribbon assembly? Are the leads from the X-over soldered to the ribbon terminals or is there a screw type attachment? (I should probably have already looked but thought I'd ask in case I need to stop and get some solder on the way home)

BDT

Soldered, but I see you've already figured that out.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• TroyD
    Improving the wiring on these is on my short list of projects....
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Improving the wiring on these is on my short list of projects....

Well worth the effort.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• TroyD
    These things have the build quality of a Yugo. However, I’m fortunate that they have always worked well in this room.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Congratulations Troy! Looking forward to us trashing them at the next PF!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    These things have the build quality of a Yugo. However, I’m fortunate that they have always worked well in this room.

This!. On the set of originals I had, they worked well in my basement but, when i tried to move them upstairs, no dice. I tired them in every configuration and wall of the living room, i couldn't get them to sound even close to right and wound up selling them.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • TroyD
    edited May 2021
    Similar experience.....in the smaller stereo room, the original s sounded great. In the living room? They sucked.....I attribute much of that to not enough amp....BUT, the Thiels are amazing in the living room and are very unimpressive in the smaller room

Go figure
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    They were Teds ? Now there's a man I miss. His "woodshed rig" was always a conversation starter.

Troy, you don't find those Thiels a tad bright ? Just curious....as the last time I heard Thiels that was my impression.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • TroyD
    edited May 2021
    Hey Tony.....yes, these were Ted's. I sold Ted my pair of Original Amazings which he moved along to get these Plats.....and I agree, I miss Ted greatly. I'll always regret not keeping in touch in the past few years with him and others, which is why I'm really making an effort to stay active here. This place means a lot to me and you tards mean a lot to me.

No. The Thiel 3.6's are very airy, extended and detailed without being fatiguing. I've hear other Thiel models....I had a pair of 2's and 2.2's for awhile and I thought that they were VERY bright. Somewhere along the way, Jim Thiel figured it out.......the 3.6's are definitely a step up from previous generations of Thiel's.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    Did the 3.6 have the bass EQ or was that the 3.5?
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    Today is not replete with suckiocity.

Always is . . . But look how it turned out!

All that booze and the memories of those that have left us, is never a good combination. Unless you’re Irish, then drink up 🥃

Glad you got them signing again!
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • TroyD
    erniejade wrote: »
    Did the 3.6 have the bass EQ or was that the 3.5?

The 3.5's. I've heard the 3.5's and don't like them. At all.

3.6's are a speaker everyone should hear........