preventing wire corrosion near ocean air

Each year I lose an inch of wire to my polk atriums. I've tried gold coatings, complete waterproofing with liquid electrical tape, gold connectors, everything I can find on these forums. It doesn't matter, the cheap cable corrodes into dust where it connects to the speakers, or now the spliced in speaker cable. The gold connectors turn black as well.

The wire coming out of the soffit with the temporary wire nuts is almost to short to strip any more and it would be extremely difficult to run a new cable.

Is there any sort of sacrificial anode that might save the last usable inch of my speaker cable?

h4hozzyfhpiu.jpg

Comments

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    The only way I'm aware of to solve the problem long term is to get some marine grade speaker cables that are tinned and have a suitable jacket material for exposure to salt water. The type of speaker cable in the photo is intended for indoor use and even then it'll turn green over time since the copper strands are not tinned and the jacket material will let air and moisture into it over time. Chances are the cable inside the soffit is corroded too. An electrician should be able to figure out how to replace enough of it from inside the house.

Something like this would work...

https://www.amazon.com/GearIT-Marine-Speaker-Conductor-Electrical/dp/B08QV4L55P/ref=sr_1_13?dchild=1&keywords=marine+speaker+wire&qid=1619982397&sr=8-13

If it's expensive to do the rewire a new set of wireless outdoor speakers may be a better solution although they'd need power run to them.

Good luck!
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,307
    edited May 2021
    I wonder whether di-electric grease would help preserve the connectors a bit. Shoot some in the back of the connector as well, and/or cover with heatshrink or RTV tape.

Other than that, for the wire, maybe another extension run, but use solder and adhesive lined heatshrink tubing at the joint?

It would probably be fine even just twisting the ends at the joint, but the adhesive lined heatshrink would provide a weather barrier.
    I disabled signatures.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    I'd think adhesive lined shrink tubing would help.
    @Emlyn is correct that the cable in use is not doing you any favors. Belden also has outdoor wire that had two jackets one for exposure and both wires are jacketed. I have no experience in a saltwater environment with it though.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited May 2021
    I would humbly :psuggest considering a change to wire using tinned copper conductors and, by all means (!!) avoid clear PVC insulation.

EDIT: If you wish, you can "tin" the fresh copper condutors yourself with solder. This is very easy to do if you're comfortable with soldering (or know someone who is -- you can buy 'em a beer or something for helping you out... but, of course, only after they do the soldering!)

B)

• tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    edited May 2021
    I would start looking in the marine industry. I have used a number of wires, adhesive heat shrink and heat shrink adhesive connectors within my boat environment. The heat shrink adhesive connectors have worked very well. Crimp, apply heat and the wire is 100% sealed.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • yeryer
    yeryer Posts: 2
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I'll try these out. I've also learned that the interior cable wasn't even copper, it's copper-clad aluminum so that's why it rots out so quickly.
  • pitdogg2
    edited May 2021
    yeryer wrote: »
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I'll try these out. I've also learned that the interior cable wasn't even copper, it's copper-clad aluminum so that's why it rots out so quickly.

ditch that ASAP!!

One other question.
    how are you using those banana plugs? Are you unscrewing the nut and tightening the nut back down? OR have you taken out the plug on the end of the post and inserting the banana plug into the binding post?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,707
    yeryer wrote: »
    Each year I lose an inch of wire to my polk atriums. I've tried gold coatings, complete waterproofing with liquid electrical tape, gold connectors, everything I can find on these forums. It doesn't matter, the cheap cable corrodes into dust where it connects to the speakers, or now the spliced in speaker cable. The gold connectors turn black as well.

The wire coming out of the soffit with the temporary wire nuts is almost to short to strip any more and it would be extremely difficult to run a new cable.

Is there any sort of sacrificial anode that might save the last usable inch of my speaker cable?

h4hozzyfhpiu.jpg

https://www.corrosionx.com/products/corrosionx
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• machone
    machone Posts: 1,471
    https://www.pacergroup.net

Good marine wire.
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    Those look like the popular inexpensive Monoprice bananas. I don't live anywhere remotely close to the ocean, & mine are corroded too. Albeit, not to that extent. Have you tried coating everything with a liberal coating of Caig Gold?
  • pitdogg2
    Spiceagent11 reported
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    Month and a half to spam us. Patient little **** he is!
  • I would start looking in the marine industry. I have used a number of wires, adhesive heat shrink and heat shrink adhesive connectors within my boat environment. The heat shrink adhesive connectors have worked very well. Crimp, apply heat and the wire is 100% sealed.

haha that happened to me aswell..
  • pitdogg2
    Yeppers adhesive shrink wrap is the shiznit.