The Audio Note UK Experience

Clipdat
Clipdat Posts: 12,559
edited April 2021 in 2 Channel Audio
Thought you guys might enjoy reading my latest review of an Audio Note UK system! https://theaudiobeatnik.com/reviewing-reality-the-audio-note-uk-experience/

It consisted of the OTO PP tube integrated amplifier, AN-K/LX loudspeakers, and the AN-Lexus LX bi-wire speaker cables to connect them.

Realism and accurate tonality were the name of the game with this system! I was impressed at how my listening room simply filled with realistic sounding musical instruments. Wow!

However, it's a somewhat polarizing sound/performance that might not resonate with everyone. Also, some enthusiasts might balk at the idea of paying $12k for a system that isn't full-range.

Anyway, give the article a read and let me know what you think! Thanks!

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Cool, always been a fan of Audio note gear in general.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,966
    Great write up!

Like I was telling you before it reminds me of my thoughts on rogers loudspeakers
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • doctor r
    doctor r Posts: 837
    Recently acquired a pair of Audio Note AN-E Spe H speakers. The tone and musical presentation reflect your review of the AN-K pair. I luckily have a room where they can be placed near the corners as Audio Note recommends. This goes slightly against all my previous setup beliefs but the performance now really draws me in more than my Spendors.
    integrated w/DAC module Gryphon Diablo 300
    server Wolf Alpha 3SX
    phono pre Dynamic Sounds Associates Phono II
    turntable/tonearms Origin Live Sovereign Mk3 dual arm, Origin Live Enterprise Mk4, Origin Live Illustrious Mk3c
    cartridges Miyajima Madake, Ortofon Windfeld Ti, Ortofon
    speakers Rockport Mira II
    cables Synergistic Research Cables, Gryphon VPI XLR, Sablon 2020 USB
    rack Adona Eris 6dw
    ultrasonic cleaner Degritter
  • Clipdat
    Very good! Glad you are enjoying your new speakers, and thanks so much for taking the time to read my review.
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,474
    Well written and thoughtful review. Also, seemed a fair response from the manufacturer w/respect to their POV on design and calculated compromise.
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • Clipdat
    edited April 2021
    Thank you for reading and for your feedback, appreciate it.

I'm afraid I still don't understand the lack of a remote controlled volume on a $5k integrated. It seems plenty of other manufacturers have figured out how to offer a remote controlled volume control without sonic degradation.
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    I agree completely. But AN clearly do things their own way. Beautiful veneer on those speakers though.
  • Clipdat
    I agree. They are even more stunning in person.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Really liked the review Drew. You have really distinguished yourself among the others out there. I love your style, down to earth, non-pretentious, which helps me understand and draw parallels to your impressions.

Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Clipdat
    Thanks so much for the kind words, Dave. Sincerely appreciate it.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    You did a fine job in that review Drew. Audio note is a brand that doesn't get much play around here. They are a bit more on the expensive side, and like you said about the remote, very old school. However, their strong points of performance and tonal accuracy speak for themselves. Hard to argue the end result.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Clipdat
    Yes they are very old school, aren't they?! That's a good way to put it.