Best amp or receiver for LSiM 705’s?

Hey, first post on here. I just nabbed a couple of LSiM 705’s since a great deal came up, and this would be the start of my first higher end setup. I currently have a 7.1 setup using a Harmon Kardon AVR 254, and do a 50-50 mix of HT and 2 channel music on it. The receiver is rated at 50wpc at 7 channels, and I’m not sure what to buy to replace it or just buy a 2 channel amp to handle the 705’s. I’d like to know if that receiver is good enough for them and just needs an amp, or if it’s simply not up to par. Also with whichever direction, if anyone has any recommendations for either as I am completely unfamilar in both areas as this has been my only setup thus far. I am also not stuck on a receiver being a 7.1 as I may break up my system in the near future, nor am I opposed to used equipment or 5-10 year old stuff, simply just good equipment for under 1000$. Thank you

Comments

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    edited April 2021
    Welcome! Even though the AVR 254 was an inexpensive one HK did a responsible thing by putting what they call "Pre-outs" on the back for 7.1 channels. That means you can easily add a separate amplifier. There are lots of choices in the used market under $1K.

Personally, I'd put that $1K into a good two channel amplifier for the LSiM 705s and continue to run the rest of the speakers from the receiver. If you're looking for something new with a warranty the choices are fewer but they're still out there from Parasound, NAD, Marantz, and a few others.

This would be on my radar at $999 new from Parasound and could be around for a couple decades:

https://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PAC2250V2
  • Okay so the AVR 254 is acceptable for the LSiMs? And that looks like itll have plenty of power for them. I also saw some good prices a step down on the Parasound 2125v2, so on the basis of saving some $ (as I am a college student so the less the better) would that option also work?
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    For sure the 2125v2 will work. Also, all college students should be mastering the art of shopping on the used market. Many deals to be had.
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    WLDock wrote: »
    For sure the 2125v2 will work. Also, all college students should be mastering the art of shopping on the used market. Many deals to be had.

This is true. Back in the day I used to scour the college newspaper at the end of the academic year for when wealthy students from other countries would sell off their audio gear.
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited April 2021
    Emlyn wrote: »
    WLDock wrote: »

This is true. Back in the day I used to scour the college newspaper at the end of the academic year for when wealthy students from other countries would sell off their audio gear.
    When I was in college I had to pick and choose between dating and my drumming, cycling, cars, and audio hobbies. My parents had to deal with three of us in school at one time so I was pretty much broke as I only worked during the Summer and holidays. My first time in a high end audio store was around that time and the prices scared me off! I turned to car audio for a dual fix, as I was more on the go back then, it made more sense.

I went to college with an old Fisher integrated w/ phono that my Uncle gave me and I had just a single speaker. It was an old beat up thing that was made with hard wood and it was pretty heavy. Around year three 86'-87' my mom got me a close out J.C. Penny MCS rack system with a CD player for Christmas. It was my first CD player! There was no speakers so I took Christmas gift money combined with the little I had and went down to Fretter Appliances looking to negotiate on some speakers. I found some Marantz speakers and that was my start.

I gave that system to my girlfriend years later when I moved to a Yamaha separates system with Sony SS-TL5 Transmission line speakers.
    av6009dmozcx.jpgI got that stuff from the yearly Hudson's warehouse sale. The old warehouse that was located downtown Detroit was huge. Man did they have some closeout deals back then! I miss those days!

This used to be the event to make for deals!
    t7zfr1jfzaac.jpg
    Post edited by WLDock on
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    I don't remember college... It must have been awesome though.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • That’s me with the cars + audio vs everything else. I actually only pulled the trigger since I found a pair of the LSiM’s for $940 shipped, sadly one got destroyed in shipping (every woofer even had gotten ripped out of the cabinet and shredded the threads) so dealing with the return nightmare on that. Ended up recieving the 2250v2 today, at this point blowing my original budget out of the water with the addition of having to find a more expensive replacement speaker, but as of now the speaker + amp are sounding amazing. I mean hey, my Monitor 60’s lasted me 10 years, so in the end thisll be worth it if they can too. Minus the small panic attack I had post purchasing all of this and realizing how deep I’ll probably be getting financially when I finish out the system. Thanks for the help guys.