Best budget tequilas under $30

marvda1
marvda1 Posts: 4,871
Trying to find a good budget tequila under $30 that's good for sipping and mixed drinks.
What do you have?
Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
Puritan PSM156

Comments

• jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,000
    El Ultimo Agave reposado
    Olmeca Altos reposado

I usually make cocktails with blancos/silvers, but some budget reposados can be sipped as well.

If you happen to have Suerte in your market, it's usually priced well, and takes it up another notch.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    I have really liked the camarena tequila. Good for sipping and mixing in my opinion
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • marvda1
    has anyone tried trader joe's tequila, i hear it's pretty good.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    marvda1 wrote: »

Are sippin', mixing, or just taking shots
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,046
    Believe it or not, this is fantastic for both.
    Made by NOM 1438

8vp9twf0j21y.jpg
  • jdjohn
    shawn474 wrote: »
    I have really liked the camarena tequila. Good for sipping and mixing in my opinion
    This is made from a diffusor process, basically blasting young agave pinas with chemicals in order to extract the sugars. It is a very non-traditional process that produces a product with an un-natural flavor profile.
    CH46E wrote: »
    Same answer here...made from a diffusor.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,060

Every year we drink Hornitos shots at deer camp while playing cards and I always say next year I'm not going to partake but always do anyways something's wrong with me.

On another note me and the wife enjoy this very Hornitos iced down with cranberry juice good stuff and priced right.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • marvda1
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    marvda1 wrote: »

Are sippin', mixing, or just taking shots

all of the above, you know me.
    Puritan PSM156
  • jdjohn
    Diffusor products are crowd pleasers for sure - for the American palate...just not authentic tequila :(
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    This is one of my favorite cheapie tequila's.

1xmwc40vnyme.jpg
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,542
    edited April 2021
    jdjohn wrote: »
    This is made from a diffusor process, basically blasting young agave pinas with chemicals in order to extract the sugars. It is a very non-traditional process that produces a product with an un-natural flavor profile.

I really know nothing of Tequila processing. Vodka.... yes. But I know I can drink a lot of Hornitos Plata and 1800 Silver with no hangovers or nasty taste. By no means am I a Tequila pro. I dont drink it straight anyways. Only in Margaritas!
  • audioluvr
    I love margaritas! They are even better when listening to latino music on a beach...
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • marvda1
    better yet at an all inclusive in mexico. ask texas ted.
    Puritan PSM156
  • jdjohn

I really know nothing of Tequila processing. Vodka.... yes. But I know I can drink a lot of Hornitos Plata and 1800 Silver with no hangovers or nasty taste. By no means am I a Tequila pro. I dont drink it straight anyways. Only in Margaritas!
    I'm a big tequila nerd...got into it heavy about 10 years ago. My wife is into as well, which makes it easier to fund as a hobby. Two years ago, we went on a week-long guided tour trip in Jalisco (around Guadalajara), where 95+% of all tequila is made, and visited 8 small-batch distilleries. The distilleries varied in production methods, going from old-school brick ovens, and mules pulling volcanic millstones to crush the agaves, to modern autoclave ovens, and roller mills (adapted from use for sugar cane/rum production). Some distilleries do fermentation from wild air-born yeast in old wooden vats, and others use their own proprietary yeast in stainless steel tanks. Stills varied from small copper pot stills to huge column stills.

Larger producers like Cuervo, Sauza, and Herradura use a diffusor process for many of the their products, but they also have autoclaves and roller mills as well for certain products.

Patron uses a blend of old-school and modern methods, but to their credit, do not use a diffusor. Of course they produce in large batches, so instead of just one or two copper stills, they have like 10 or 12 going.
  • Irrenhaus
    Irrenhaus Posts: 1,082
    Casadores Añejo. You will need to look but can be found on sale for $29.99

os9i9o94ftza.jpg

Cheers
    HTAVR-Pioneer SC99XPA-DR3 Differential Reference AmpPolk R-700Rear- RT150Side- RT150Center-CSi5Sub-Rythmik audio F25Player- Panasonic DP-UB9000Projector- Optoma CinemaX P2Screen- Silver Ticket Products STR Series 6 120"Audio Room 2ch rig.Cary AE-3, Onkyo M-504, Marantz SA8005, Azur 851NWharfedale - Linton, SVS SB12-NSDMinis Forum PC (streamer) and Panamax MX5105Headphone rig;Schiit JOTUNHEIM and different headphones.Samsung 42" flat screen TV.
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,045
    Irrenhaus wrote: »
    Casadores Añejo. You will need to look but can be found on sale for $29.99

Cheers

Do you know if this is a fairly new label? I think this might be the tequila that I used to buy for margaritas, etc, but stopped being able to find it. If this is what I’m thinking it might be, I’m going to agree with @Irrenhaus. Hard to beat for the $$.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • jdjohn
    Just...no. The brand Cazadores has changed distilleries over the years, and the current incarnation from NOM 1487 is made with a diffusor. The older, vintage bottles from NOM 1128 are desirable, but very rare in 'the wild' at this point.
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,075
    Just...no. The brand Cazadores has changed distilleries over the years, and the current incarnation from NOM 1487 is made with a diffusor. The older, vintage bottles from NOM 1128 are desirable, but very rare in 'the wild' at this point.

Jody, I'll agree with that "Just...no".

Barbara and I purchased a bottle of Cazadores about two weeks ago just to make margaritas. It was recommended by the store manager. We did not like it. This is coming from two people who went through "TEQUILA CONVERSION" about a year ago after some lessons from Jody.

We put the Cazadores away to use later. We got the Don Julio Reposado out and sipped some to compare and then we made new margaritas. No comparison. Don Julio Reposado has become our favorite.

A 375ml bottle of Don Julio Reposado can be purchased for about $30 for those special sipping occasions.

v9heaqjqu3wd.png

"Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • marvda1
    edited April 2021
    what's the best way to tell if a tequila is made with a diffuser process?
    Puritan PSM156
  • jdjohn
    Tequila Matchmaker https://www.tequilamatchmaker.com/en is the best website (they have an app as well) for information on different brands. If you search on a particular brand, and look at 'Production Details', and then 'Extraction', you can see if a diffuser was used. You can also apply filters on their entire database to show a comprehensive list of brands that use a diffuser.

Brands are not required by law to disclose whether or not they use a diffuser, so the TM database has been built from the ground up by people who inquire directly or visit the distilleries.

Another aspect to consider in tequila is the use of additives. It is perfectly legal, and within regulations, for brands to use a very small amount (2%, I think) of additives such as glycerin, coloring, or flavoring. Of course these all impart a fake taste that I personally don't like...I like the authentic taste of the cooked agave. Again, producers are not required to disclose the use of additives. However, some brands want to distinguish themselves, and have gone on record to say they are "additive-free". You can filter on that as well in the TM database.

I am a self-proclaimed tequila snob, but people should obviously drink what they like.
  • audioluvr
    I am a self-proclaimed tequila snob, but people should obviously drink what they like.

You should start a "Tequila for snobs" discussion. Actually I think we have one like that on here somewhere.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    audioluvr wrote: »

You should start a "Tequila for snobs" discussion. Actually I think we have one like that on here somewhere.

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/comment/2515415#Comment_2515415

2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • audioluvr
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

Thanks! I knew it was somewhere. Just lazy today
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC