Using an A-1 with a common ground amp.

djreef
djreef Posts: 71
edited April 2021 in Vintage Speakers
I’m running an Acurus A250 with my 1.2TLs, and was wondering if this is the reason why the amp keeps dropping a channel after a few minutes of listening. This whole common ground thing has me so jacked up and confused. If not then I guess it’s off to the shop for the amp.

Thanx ahead.
= 8-->{I>

Comments

• gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    I used a A-1 with a Adcom and a Parasound with good results both are common ground. It must be an issue with your Amp. I've got a couple of Dreadnoughts now however huge improvement over the A-1.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • djreef
    Ya, I was considering picking up a non-A-1 cable just to see if maybe it was the A-1, but ya I’m thinking it’s the amp.
    = 8-->{I>
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,271
    Can the 1.2tl's be used without the A-1 interface? I know the smaller sda's can be used without the cable, at least that would tell you if it's the amp.
  • djreef
    That’s true. I guess I could just disconnect the cable and run it non SDA.
    invalid wrote: »
    Can the 1.2tl's be used without the A-1 interface? I know the smaller sda's can be used without the cable, at least that would tell you if it's the amp.

= 8-->{I>
  • invalid
    It definitely won't sound as good, but will narrow it down to amp or interface.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,478
    edited April 2021
    Ive used AI-1 cable with common ground amps never a problem for me.
    My opinion is it's something else unless the cable has been tampered with.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    The problem could be the amp, the speakers, or the interconnect cable, or something else. >:)

With an amp, I'd usually try it out on a different set of speakers if I had a pair around or borrow some from a friend. In the case of an Acurus amp it's probably around 25 years old and may need to be checked out anyway? If the amp doesn't cut out on another pair of traditional speakers then the amp is fine. If it's the AI-1 SDA interconnect it's possible to disconnect the AI-1 and get the SDA drivers working by shoving speaker wire in the post holes. If the speakers don't cut in and out like that then the problem is the AI-1 SDA cable. If the speakers cut in and out after testing both the amp and jerry rigging an SDA cable then the problem is inside the speakers. Probably a crossover problem but it could be something as simple as a wire that's loose inside them that jiggles looser when they're playing.

Process of elimination is half the fun.
  • invalid
    How long does it play before one channel cuts out? Check out how hot both channels of the amp get before the one channel stops working.
  • djreef
    The drop out is intermittent. Sometime 10 minutes, sometime 40, smetimes more than an hour. I ran it for 3 hours one night pretty hard 2 weeks ago without issue. Ya, I’m thinking a good once over for the amp by the local repair shop probably isn’t a bad idea given it’s age any way. I have a pair if Lsi7s that I can drag downstairs to check the amp with tomorrow. I’ll probably do that, but I think I’ll end up taking the amp in any how just in case.

Emlyn wrote: »
    The problem could be the amp, the speakers, or the interconnect cable, or something else. >:)

With an amp, I'd usually try it out on a different set of speakers if I had a pair around or borrow some from a friend. In the case of an Acurus amp it's probably around 25 years old and may need to be checked out anyway? If the amp doesn't cut out on another pair of traditional speakers then the amp is fine. If it's the AI-1 SDA interconnect it's possible to disconnect the AI-1 and get the SDA drivers working by shoving speaker wire in the post holes. If the speakers don't cut in and out like that then the problem is the AI-1 SDA cable. If the speakers cut in and out after testing both the amp and jerry rigging an SDA cable then the problem is inside the speakers. Probably a crossover problem but it could be something as simple as a wire that's loose inside them that jiggles looser when they're playing.

Process of elimination is half the fun.

= 8-->{I>
  • djreef
    I actually checked the amp for heat the other day - both sides cool to the touch.
    invalid wrote: »
    How long does it play before one channel cuts out? Check out how hot both channels of the amp get before the one channel stops working.

= 8-->{I>
  • djreef
    OK, so it seems the problem was with the source. I had a Denon universal player with a short in it on the back panel where the connections plug in. Cripe this was such a game of whack A mole.

= 8-->{I>
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    Glad to hear you found the problem, it's always fun chasing after issues with your rig and rewarding when you figure it out.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • djreef
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    Glad to hear you found the problem, it's always fun chasing after issues with your rig and rewarding when you figure it out.

Ya, until the bill comes : (.
    = 8-->{I>
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Have a drink to your success! Worry about the financial repercussions later. That's my philosophy!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • djreef
    audioluvr wrote: »
    Have a drink to your success! Worry about the financial repercussions later. That's my philosophy!

I did that just last night. Crown and ginger ale and a 6 hour listening session :wink: .
    = 8-->{I>