Subs with 5b’s

arcspark
arcspark Posts: 14
edited April 2021 in Vintage Speakers
Hey everyone....by the numbers where would you set the c.o. on your sub to play well with these being rated 30-26000hz...I know it’s subjective but just looking for opinions.... I know, I know...crossover goes from 40-140...thanks

Comments

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    edited April 2021
    120 hz
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    arcspark wrote: »
    Hey everyone....by the numbers where would you set the c.o. on your sub to play well with these being rated 30-26000hz...I know it’s subjective but just looking for opinions.... I know, I know...crossover goes from 40-140...thanks

Tune it by ear. When you don't really hear the sub you've got it dialed in.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• arcspark
    arcspark Posts: 14
    Hey thanks...I read somewhere that bookshelf speakers should be about 80hz and I went higher than that cuz it sounded better so I was just checking ...again there’s a lot of latitude built in...thanks all, arc
  • F1nut
    edited April 2021
    One also needs to consider the frequency rating of the speakers, how you have the sub connected, if it is for music or HT and the volume level you set the sub to.

Assuming you are using the 5B's for 2 channel music and using the high level connection to your sub, 80Hz seems high. I think 50Hz would be better.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,133
    How technical do you want to get? If you really want to get into adjusting the sub by anything but ear method, you should get REW and a calibrated mic and determine what the acoustics of your room are. You could have nodes in the bass region, where, at the listening position, you get positive and negative interferences that effect the response. You're not listening in an anechoic chamber and the room; size, dimensions, speaker placement, reverberance, type of surfaces, etc.., play a huge part.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • F1nut
    Your ears are still the best way. If you can't trust them you might as well give up.

President of Club Polk