SDA 1C's for Music/HT - Amp Suggestions

I recently picked up a clean set of SDA 1C's that will be replacing the RTA-8t that I bought new over 30 years ago, and they will be doing double duty for music and home theater. Right now I'm running them off of my Denon AVR-X4500h, but am looking for suggestions on an amp that would pair well with the Denon. From what I've read the Denon pre-outs output 1.2 volts. Not sure if that makes any difference for pairing to a particular amp? Is there anything in the $300-$500 price range (not opposed to used) that would do these justice?

h55yd41yiquq.jpg

Comments

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    A Parasound HCA-1500 or B&K 200.2 can be found in that price range used. Those are both excellent amps.

I recommend pulling the 1Cs forward so they are a couple inches in front of the cabinets so the cabinets don't interfere with the sound as much. Ideally, the cabinets shouldn't be there and the speakers set closer together but we live with what we've got to work with. :)

Looks good!
  • joebass3
    joebass3 Posts: 243
    Emlyn wrote: »
    A Parasound HCA-1500 or B&K 200.2 can be found in that price range used. Those are both excellent amps.

I recommend pulling the 1Cs forward so they are a couple inches in front of the cabinets so the cabinets don't interfere with the sound as much. Ideally, the cabinets shouldn't be there and the speakers set closer together but we live with what we've got to work with. :)

Looks good!

I would love to lose the cabinets but the wife insisted they stay. She wasn't too keen on having big speakers in the first place, but now that they are in the room she admits they look ok. They are about 9' apart so a little further than optimum, but it's a big room. Not an ideal music room but it is what it is. 🙂 I will move the cabinets back as close to the wall as possible in order to get the front of the speakers in front of them.
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,474
    edited April 2021
    Emlyn wrote: »
    A Parasound HCA-1500

+1...Was going to be my suggestion but Emlyn beat me to it. I have two modded HCA-1500A's, 1 for HT w/3.1tl's and another as backup. Have paired them over the past 10 years pre/post amp and speaker mods w/1C's (sweet combo), to include CRS+ (tl'd), 2B's, 1.2tl's, 705's, L200's, etc. Great sound and they've never broken a sweat; the 1.2's are very heavily modded w/big copper inductors and I'm told, dip pretty low in ohm's. Can safely say a big thumbs up for anything Parasound and Polk from forum members that have experience with them. The HCA-1500A can be had for $450 or less and worth the $$ having a trusted tech recap if you choose to keep longterm. Mine will never leave as long as it's reasonable to keep them going.

As suggested, there are other good brands, too. Rotel is another that comes to mind and I've had positive experience with.

Also agree w/Emlyn that your setup is not ideal, as you know. IMO, eliminating as much between SDA's is a simple (sometimes easier said than done) but underestimated factor. Even if you don't, acknowledging the WAF is important in most households, you should experiment and experience their full potential. On the other hand, maybe you shouldn't....could lead to sleeping in a separate room for you, or worse. :#

Edit to add....congrats on the 1C's, mine were gifted to my daughter and SIL, and welcome to the forum.

Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    edited April 2021
    I've always been impressed with the HCA-1500 I have. It's a little warmer sounding than the later Halo line of amps and works nicely with a tube preamp. Just a comfortable thing to listen to on a variety of speakers for only a little money.

I would also note that it may take the edge off a Denon receiver's high frequencies depending on the tweeters in speakers powered by it. A B&K amp would do that to a greater extent. A Rotel amp to me is more similar to the Denon's sound character.
    Post edited by Emlyn on
  • joebass3
    edited April 2021
    Looking at a Parasound HCA-2200 (not the MKII version). Thoughts and is this a common ground amp that will play nice with the SDA's?

Edit - The owner checked and verified continuity across the speaker ground outputs, so it should work ok with the SDA's. Would appreciate any thoughts on this amp.
    Post edited by joebass3 on
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,474
    edited April 2021
    @joebass3, just saw this after replying to your PM. Hopefully someone w/2200 experience will chime in. I'd still send the email I recommended.
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • joebass3
    edited April 2021
    So I made a purchase, and a sweet looking B&K Reference 200.2 should be arriving early next week. Thanks everyone for the suggestions!
    In the meantime I started doing some work...
    aebz899bo5nq.jpg
    jfirhmj2aoql.jpg
    38utvp2rc3pm.jpg
    jdluq9sd21e8.jpg
    Post edited by joebass3 on