Hey, actually built something for myself BP2000 crossover

VR3
VR3 Posts: 27,935
edited February 2017 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
So... I literally have not done anything speaker related for myself in 2-3 years. I decided tonight I would spend maybe 3-4 hours and have some fun. I applied dynamat to the subwoofer basket of one of my BP2000. I also noted they did not allow the rear pole piece vent any room to breathe so I rearranged some polyfill to allow that.

I did not use the crossover in the speaker as a reference, instead I used the latest version from Definitive. The BP2000 was unique in that it was originally made in the USA, so there were 2-3 versions of the crossover.

I am also planning to change out the power supply capacitors on the amplifier as well as the binding post in the next while. No rush. I plan on keeping these for a while!

I kept this one pretty simple -

Tweeter network -
Clarity Cap CSA
Mundorf Mox
Jantzen Perfect Lay
Stock wiring

Midbass Network -
Clarity Cap CSA/ESA
Mundorf E-Cap (in series are bypassed by Clarity ESA)
Mundorf Mox
Jantzen Permite Core (no end caps)

I only did one... I should have time to do the other one maybe in the next few weeks!cxwda8dba6vy.jpg
- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.

Comments

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,272
    edited February 2017
    Nice, Trey. I was checking out these BP2000s after reading this. Interesting design. Are these combo system use? If so, curious as to how you like them for music? What sort of positioning do they see with that rear firing array?

I remember looking at Deftech a couple of years ago in passing when I was just starting out. I really had no reference, though.

Re: the crossover - Did many of the component values differ in oe vs what you found in the latest version?

Neat project.
    Curious to hear how it goes when you upgrade the amp.
    I disabled signatures.
  • VR3
    edited February 2017
    Thank you! :)

I really like Definitive because of the built in powered subwoofers. I always am a huge fan of their 6.5" woofer. Interestingly enough, the tweeter in the BP2000 is the best iteration of the aluminum tweeter they use that I have heard yet. They definitely are not the best music speaker for dedicated 2 channel. On the flip side, I would say they are one of the best speakers for HT/Gaming/Back ground music. The bipolar array really throws out a wide stage for background music that can fill up the whole house.

In my use, they are about perfect for what they can do and the footprint they take up!

I really position them just like any other speaker, the bipolar array likes atleast a foot off of the back wall. I also still like to use toe in, so the back array is firing towards the corner and the front array towards the listening seat.

The crossover in my BP2000 versus the one Definitive sent me is dramatically different. In return the sound is also dramatically different between the modified and unmodified. The bass transition in the modified is much improved and the highs really came to life. I attribute the latter to the nicer components as Definitive does not use very nice components in their crossovers.

Build quality and sound quality wise is much better than what Definitive is currently offering. I really feel DT peaked with the 7000 series.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • VR3
    This is the stock crossover for reference
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,272
    We got new buttons, Trey :)

je9xny69udeh.jpg
    I disabled signatures.
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    Super cool.

What a skill set to have....
  • VR3
    Thank you :)
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,664
    'bout time.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• VR3
    edited February 2017
    ks6my4g5nrdp.jpg
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    VR3 wrote: »
    ks6my4g5nrdp.jpg

Holy ****!
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Wait till the Neighbor Hood finds out you have all that copper in your house!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • warren
    warren Posts: 756
    You have come a long way, I remember when your Mom drove you to a Polk gathering!
    Now you have the American dream!!! I'm happy for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Some final words,
    "If you keep banging your head against the wall,
    you're going to have headaches."
    Warren
  • VR3
    Lol, thank you :P I'll never forget being the fourteen year old at Polk HQ sitting across from Matt Polk! Good times! :P
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    VR3 wrote: »
    ks6my4g5nrdp.jpg

Jeez Oh Pete, now your just being mean... :o

Oh yea, you outta seem me do the girls's laundry. The whole separate these, don't dry those, these hang up...I got it!!! :#
  • VR3
    edited February 2017
    Little better picture! jptphqohoyqy.jpg

lzn72hnggj95.jpg
  • VR3
    uzwbyshbz7wy.jpg
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,007
    A true Master of your craft !
    Beautiful reconstructions !
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • I understand ease of disconnection, but since all the other components are of higher grade than OEM parts, are the molex connection and crimp type barrier strip a weak point now?

Just for my inquisitive mind, not a judgement of your work.....those look great!
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • VR3
    Thank you. The way the bp2000 is built, removing the internal wiring is next to impossible and something in the hole is even more impossible. Hence utilizing connectors
  • VR3
    Changed up the build a bit for a shorter signal path!

oadt7q8fx26r.jpg
  • ddog
    ddog Posts: 230
    Thise look beautiful..!

Interested in trying your hand at a set Definitive technology bpvxp's..?

I have a set that the amplifiers run a bit warm and I'm thinking it might be time to rebuild them..
  • VR3
    Thank you!

I don't think there are a lot of gains to be had with modifying surround speakers, just my opinion.... maybe if you listen to a lot of multi channel music, maybe.

I do not do amp repair, that's for sure! :pensive:
    I do agree that your speakers may need an amp service. I would email Def Tech and ask Chet if they offer replacements. You may be surprised, Def Tech used a lot of the same amp in their speakers, so its fairly universal. There is an internal output stage amp and the external input stage portion. It is the internal one that generally goes bad...
  • ddog
    ddog Posts: 230
    Ok..no worries. I have a set of the plate amps (new on box) I got from Chet a few years back. I was just wondering what you may be able to do with these.

Ever since I picked up the Anthem avm60 I listen to 7.3.4 exclusively when in the theater.

Thanks tho..
  • VR3
    They can be modded, they just wouldn't be the same dollar performance in sonic benefits as the front 3
  • Hi Trey,

Nice work! I own an original pair of BP2000s and have really enjoyed them since I bought them new in 1996. It looks like do you have enjoyed the work you’ve mastered on these crossovers. I have taken really good care of the speakers and have had no problems with them. How much of an improvement have you experienced from your upgrade? Forgive me if I’m asking a question you’ve already answered
  • VR3
    Thank you!

The bp2000 are excellent. It is no secret that definitive skips huge corners in the crossover so the net gains there are very large. Sounds like a totally different speaker in clarity, texture, weight, detail, etc, really no comparison
  • Thanks for the reply—I have heard the same about the crossovers (confirmed by your “before” pics).

Are you still building these for guys like me with old definitives?
  • VR3
    Yes sir I can still build these, please send me an email [email protected]
  • Awesome—will do! Thanks
  • I was looking for info on changing the Tweeters, to get rid of the harshness on music so I ordered new tweeters Scanspeak D2606/9220 1" textile dome (4) of them as there are 2 per speaker. When removing the Tweeters I could not find any markings on the original tweeter's,
    Only a Yellow wire and a Green wire.
    To Help anyone else out there who is looking for this info.
    The Yellow wire is Positive.
    The Green wire is Negative.
    These tweeters sound Amazing but I did have to modify the cabinet slightly, I used a hand file to allow where the wires connect to the new tweeters, Allow yourself about 30 minutes per hole, take your time.
    I used a flat and a half round file, you will have to file in two different spot's per hole but then can use the Orignal screw holes. The original screws are in super tight use a regular Phillips screw driver, if you use a drill/driver you will strip them. Again take your time, the results will be worth it. If you just use these for Home Theater and don't feel they are harsh this will not be needed. But I also listen to Music on these BP2000's Enjoy!
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,420
    The Yellow wire is Positive.
    The Green wire is Negative.
    That should be correct.