Monitor 7c vs KG4

windstriker
windstriker Posts: 136
edited March 2021 in Vintage Speakers
Just got a pair of monitor 7s with a bad tweeter a couple weeks ago. So I replace both tweets with rdo 194. They are now working great even with the original crossovers.

I just got done comparing them to my recapped kg4s And im really conflicted. I really like the sound and imaging of the monitors but they need more bass. The kg4s have a good deal more bass to them but the imaging isn't on the level of the monitors. The monitors image well on the x and y axis well were as the kg4s really only image on the x axis. Honestly not sure which I like better. Wish I could have the best of both worlds.

Side note before some one says get a pair of sdas. I already have some sda 2bs which I love but they have never worked well im the small room that I have the monitor and kg4s in. They need room to breath.

Comments

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    edited March 2021
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • windstriker
    This may sound like a newbie question but ive never used a sub in my stereo system. How do u used a sub with a tube reciever that doesnt have a sub out?
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,010
    Use which one you like better. Period.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited March 2021
    You need to have the 7's, like the 2B's close to the rear wall for the best bass response.

You would need a sub with speaker (high) level input connections. Look at Velodyne, Rythmik and REL. The only SVS sub that has them is the one Josh suggested.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    edited March 2021
    This may sound like a newbie question but ive never used a sub in my stereo system. How do u used a sub with a tube reciever that doesnt have a sub out?

High level inputs. Speaker wire from amp to sub then separate speaker wires from sub to speakers.

I used to be perfectly fine without a sub, I don't crave earth shattering bass with my music just my games but not anymore. I couldn't go back to no sub, it's transformative once you get it dialed in, can't have the sub volume very high, just enough so that it sounds like your M7s are the ones creating the bass.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • windstriker
    F1nut wrote: »
    You need to have the 7's, like the 2B's close to the rear wall for the best bass response.

Thanks I will try that. I've had them pulled out. I knew the 2bs needed it but didn't realize it would be the same for the 7s. The 7s can be towed in right? I have been running them with no tow in so far.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    I have the KG4's and this is what I have found is needed to make them sing.
    qtawgx1jp4hx.jpg
    I ripped some 1" risers for the front to point the tweeters to your ear level and have your listening distance be the same as the speaker width making an equalateral triangle (no toe in). Imaging will be SDA quality or better but move a few inches left or right and it's gone. Sorry I have no experience with the 7's
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,786
    When I was younger, I just sat on the floor, and then were AMAZING!!
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • F1nut

Thanks I will try that. I've had them pulled out. I knew the 2bs needed it but didn't realize it would be the same for the 7s. The 7s can be towed in right? I have been running them with no tow in so far.

You should toe in the 7's.

Both the 7's and KG4's will sound better on speaker stands.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• windstriker
    Ya I need to make some stands at some point. Currently using the kg4s as stands for the monitors.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    You can't really compare them the way you have them . I've had both, but not at the same time. The KG4's are pretty decent speakers. I like the Monitor 7's quite a bit, I have two pairs currently one a Peerless and the other is a 7C with rebuilt crossovers. Once you get stands you can assess better. Plus, if you've modded the crossovers on the KG4's but not the Monitor 7s and the 7's are improperly placed, etc its not an accurate assessment. There are plans on the internet for DIY stands for the KG4's, about a six degree angle backwards IIRC. Easy to make, if you can't afford better stands. There are also plenty of plans on this forum for making stands for the 7's.
  • windstriker

Hmm ok tried putting them about 6 inches from the back wall. And yes that helped but the 3 dimsionality of the imaging/sound staging suffered. Hmm I want to have my cake and to eat it to. May consider sub. Would a recap help with the bass?
  • JayMX
    JayMX Posts: 434
    I will second @F1nut & @dromunds comments about stands. I own several pairs of Monitor 7’s and a while back I fully refurbed/upgraded a pair of KG4’s. Both sound much better up off the ground. The KG4’s with Crites TI domes and SoniCaps were fantastic for live recordings, but almost too clear for my taste, very forward and in-your-face. The bass drastically improved after the crossover upgrade. Also make sure they’re sealed up well. Mine had several cracks in the PR surrounds which I had to repair. Thunderstruck really cranked on them haha.

I’ve always come back to the Monitor 7’s though. There's just something “right” about them. They’re not quite the rock n roll speakers the Klipsch are, but there is just a soft but clear tonal quality and fullness I get from the 7’s - especially after doing the RD0194 tweeters and SoniCaps in the 7C's. Often surprisingly the bass is copious but not overwhelming. Wonderful.

I run the 7’s about 6” off the wall on 10” stands with 6deg of tilt. The KG4’s I tended to pull off the wall a little more and preferred them on some 8” stands. I sold the KG4’s btw...

Enjoy the journey!
    Current Collection: Monitor 4a (Peerless), Monitor 5B (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7b (Peerless), RTA15TL (SL3000), SDA CRS+ (194’s), SDA SRS 2.3TL, R100's, R200’s, R300 🤩
    Pairs that have passed through: Monitor 4b (Peerless), Monitor 5a (Peerless), Monitor 5b (SL1000), Monitor 5b (SL2000) (3x pair), Monitor 7b (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7c’s (194’s), Monitor 10a (Peerless), Monitor 10b (5x pair), RTA8, RTA8TL, RTA 11T, RTA12c (194's), SDA CRS, SDA 2 (2x pair), SDA 2a, SDA 2b, SDA 1b, SDA 1c, SDA SRS 2 (2x pair), SDA SRS 3.1TL (198’s) (2x pair)...and more to come, it’s a sickness.
  • windstriker
    Current set up. Ignore the haphazard set up. Its mostly a test set up at this point.

Ignore the lsi9 in they corner. I've never been all that fond of them. Probably will go up on Facebook marketplace at some point.

y3ofrdsgfoks.jpg
  • F1nut
    I have experience with modded 7's and KG4's. The mods improved both a lot, but the 7 is the better, almost perfectly balanced speaker. The KG4 is too bass heavy and that horn, although tamer than other Klipsch speakers, still causes ear fatigue.

So, I'm not going to ignore your test set up. The speakers are not far enough apart and they need toe in.

President of Club Polk

• windstriker
    Fair enough though im not sure I can spread them much more out as there is a door to them left that will start hitting them. May have to play around with that. I would have to do major rearranging to put them on another wall.

Ya at the moment im leaning towards the monitors over the klipsch. I like the better imaging and ya they are less aggressive then the klipsch. I plan on getting a tube amp(wilsenton r8 thank you biden I guess?) to run which ever I prefer.

One other question im not sure I want to pony up 250 for sonicaps at this time. Any other options for decent caps? Maybe sonicaps on highs and Something else for the 34 ohm caps? Or something else entirely? The 34 ohm sonicaps are 74 dollars a piece.
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,044
    Clarity CSA are a good option there.
    I've also used Mundorf MKP with good success.
  • JayMX
    JayMX Posts: 434
    edited March 2021
    I just finished up some Monitor 10 crossovers with 12uf SoniCaps and and 33uf Clarity (because they were half the price). They sound very good but need to break in to know for sure. I have all SoniCaps in my 7C's and they’re great.
    44pwovjuft16.jpeg
    os6qxo1tf7vb.jpeg

And the KG4 mod crossovers I did just for the heck of it. Using the Crites kit:
    d1u0t9ip0o0w.jpeg

Current Collection: Monitor 4a (Peerless), Monitor 5B (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7b (Peerless), RTA15TL (SL3000), SDA CRS+ (194’s), SDA SRS 2.3TL, R100's, R200’s, R300 🤩
    Pairs that have passed through: Monitor 4b (Peerless), Monitor 5a (Peerless), Monitor 5b (SL1000), Monitor 5b (SL2000) (3x pair), Monitor 7b (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7c’s (194’s), Monitor 10a (Peerless), Monitor 10b (5x pair), RTA8, RTA8TL, RTA 11T, RTA12c (194's), SDA CRS, SDA 2 (2x pair), SDA 2a, SDA 2b, SDA 1b, SDA 1c, SDA SRS 2 (2x pair), SDA SRS 3.1TL (198’s) (2x pair)...and more to come, it’s a sickness.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,471
    The good thing about sonicraft is they have exact values for many Polk speakers.
    Were you looking at two 17uf or one 34uf ?
  • lawdogg
    lawdogg Posts: 449
    Current set up. Ignore the haphazard set up. Its mostly a test set up at this point.

Thanks for that pic - even though I owned a set of 7's at the same time as my KG4s, for some reason I remembered the KG4s as much bigger than the 7's. That's obviously not true at all!
    <3 my 3.1TLs

I will fix your shifted magnets for free. :)
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,786
    I have experience with modded 7's and KG4's. The mods improved both a lot, but the 7 is the better, almost perfectly balanced speaker. The KG4 is too bass heavy and that horn, although tamer than other Klipsch speakers, still causes ear fatigue.

So, I'm not going to ignore your test set up. The speakers are not far enough apart and they need toe in.

KG4's are less bright pointing them straight ahead.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • windstriker
    JayMX wrote: »
    I just finished up some Monitor 10 crossovers with 12uf SoniCaps and and 33uf Clarity (because they were half the price). They sound very good but need to break in to know for sure. I have all SoniCaps in my 7C's and they’re great.
    44pwovjuft16.jpeg
    os6qxo1tf7vb.jpeg

And the KG4 mod crossovers I did just for the heck of it. Using the Crites kit:
    d1u0t9ip0o0w.jpeg

Ya I may go with a Sonicraft/Clarity set up. A pure Sonicraft crossover is a bit more than I'm wanting to spend. A I'm sure the Sonicraft/Clarity set up will be leagues better than the original crossover even when it was new.
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    The good thing about sonicraft is they have exact values for many Polk speakers.
    Were you looking at two 17uf or one 34uf ?

A single 34uf which would be $74 per cap so $148 for both crossovers and $42 dollars for a single 17uf cap so 42*4= 168 for both crossovers.

A 33uf clarity cap is $38 dollars for $76 dollars for both crossovers. So about half the price of going with sonicap.