Tower Speaker Recommendations

Options
rburgess714
rburgess714 Posts: 616
edited March 2021 in Speakers
Hi There,

I have had Polk Signature S60's and a S30 in my main system for the last 4 years and I am looking for a new set of towers. I really have enjoyed the 60s and plan on keeping them but just want something different and it doesn't have to be Polk.

It would be nice to find towers that offer a matching center channel speaker but not an absolute requirement, I do not run a sub nor do I plan to. Also to note these serve hybrid duty in HT/2Channel system with 2 Channel music being my main focus, and will be powered by a Parasound Hint 6. Budget is 2K at most for the towers.

Also, room is 13 x 18 and opens up to another room.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations.
RB

Living Room
Parasound HINT 6, Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Oppo 103D, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, KLH Model 5s, Polk CSi A6, Samsung 65" LED

Office
Yamaha A-S501, Auralic Aries Mini, LSiM 703s

Douglas Connection ICs and Cables

Comments

• PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,086
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Usher CP-6311. There is a matching center, but I don’t recall the model number. You can get both for under 2k and IMO, no sub is no problem.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • TopperDude
    TopperDude Posts: 166
    Options
    if your not in a hurry, hang in there a few more weeks. You may end up having a few more Polk options to consider. (atleast thats what i hear :))
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,622
    Options
    Wharfedale EVO4 series worth a look if you like a relaxed, fatigue-free top end.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,987
    edited March 2021
    Options
    I really liked the psb imagine Bs bookies, and I know that @steveinaz loves his T2s. You’ll have to be patient But you could probably fine T2s or synchrony 2s for 2 grand...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    Options
    Where do you live?
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • rburgess714
    Options
    Wharfdale Evo and PSB seem like viable options. I think the Usher’s 6311s are discontinued. Curious to see what the new Polks look like though I am a little interested in trying something different. Also, looks like KEF has some nice towers. Another brand I haven’t heard much about is Ohm and they look different and supposedly have a large sweet spot and good imaging.
    Living Room
    Parasound HINT 6, Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Oppo 103D, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, KLH Model 5s, Polk CSi A6, Samsung 65" LED

Office

• rburgess714
    Options
    steveinaz wrote: »
    Where do you live?

I’m in SoCal
    Living Room

Office

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,377
    Options
    A lot of the tower speakers in the $1K a piece range have metal dome or ribbon tweeters. Are you looking for a departure along those lines?

I've been intrigued by the SVS Ultra towers or SVS Prime Pinnacle for quite a while in that price range for double duty speakers. Not necessarily for a music first speaker though.

https://www.svsound.com/products/ultra-tower

Definitely a lot of choices around!
  • rburgess714
    Options
    Emlyn wrote: »
    A lot of the tower speakers in the $1K a piece range have metal dome or ribbon tweeters. Are you looking for a departure along those lines?

I've been intrigued by the SVS Ultra towers or SVS Prime Pinnacle for quite a while in that price range for double duty speakers. Not necessarily for a music first speaker though.

https://www.svsound.com/products/ultra-tower

Definitely a lot of choices around!

Lot's of options and I am not in a hurry. Not sure about metal tweeters, I have never heard any. Want detail but not bright or fatiguing and no sloppy bass.
    Living Room

Office

• pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 5,005
    Options
    KEF Q series towers: Q550 - Q750 - Q950. Their Uni-Q driver is awesome.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • steveinaz
    edited March 2021
    Options
    I'm selling my flawless, 3yr old PSB Imagine T2's. I'd really rather not ship them, are you ever in Tucson? $2000/pr. I paid $3650 for them new. They are the Rosewood (cherry) finish. Extremely smooth treble, ZERO bass slop. They sound perfect for you.

Maybe we can figure something out.
    71c67gcvao0k.jpg
    jqlkx9tnd5go.jpg

Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • rburgess714
    Options
    I'm selling my flawless, 3yr old PSB Imagine T2's. I'd really rather not ship them, are you ever in Tucson? $2000/pr. I paid $3650 for them new. They are the Rosewood (cherry) finish. Extremely smooth treble, ZERO bass slop. They sound perfect for you.

71c67gcvao0k.jpg
    jqlkx9tnd5go.jpg

Those do look nice, I am in no hurry to get new speakers and will noodle on these. Tucson is about 7hrs away so that’s a bit of a haul.
    Living Room

Office

• steveinaz
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Understand. Stay tuned and watch the For Sale thread, I AM gonna box these up for shipment, I'll re-post them; and I'll give you first crack at them if you are interested. Don't sweat the "speed" I don't need to sell them fast, just make sure when you make a decision, that you can follow thru. I should know for sure Monday night.

If you decide to get them, they are truly FLAWLESS. Not a scratch, mark or rub anywhere on them. I'm anal as hell with my equipment, and these have been well taken care of. They are sonically as smooth as melted butter. Zero listener fatigue. I actually prefer a more forward speaker, and that's why I'm selling.
  • teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    Options
    If you decide to get them, they are truly FLAWLESS. Not a...rub anywhere on them.

So...safe to say that Jesse hasn’t been visiting... 😛

Sweet pair there, Steve.

Good luck on your search, Ray. Seen anything that’s caught your ear?
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Options
    I recently reacquired my Von Schweikert VR-2 speakers. Absolutely stunning and better sound than I remembered.

There is also the VR-4Jr if you can find a pair for sale.

There are 2 sets on the market now. Cannot recommend them highly enough.

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lisa9a7b-von-schweikert-audio-vr-2-full-range?refsource=hifishark

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lisa8317-von-schweikert-audio-vr2-full-range?refsource=hifishark
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • steveinaz
    Options

71c67gcvao0k.jpg
    jqlkx9tnd5go.jpg

Those do look nice, I am in no hurry to get new speakers and will noodle on these. Tucson is about 7hrs away so that’s a bit of a haul.

Shipping is FREE.
  • ChrisD06
    ChrisD06 Posts: 886
    edited March 2021
    Options
    @rburgess714 If you don't mind waiting around and constantly searching eBay, Polk selling threads, Kijiji, Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, etc. Wait for a pair of RT3000ps to come around. The soundstage from them is huge IMO and the subwoofers are to die for. Definitely one of the best Polk speakers made IMO.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,984
    Options
    Try a pair of the new Reserve series
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited March 2021
    Options
    dromunds wrote: »
    Try a pair of the new Reserve series
    Yeah man, those have my attention as well as the attention of many others.

Also, the newly released Chane L series that are using SB Acoustics drivers have my attention. I really want to listen to these. https://www.chanemusiccinema.com/l-series.html

The Ascend Acoustics Sierra towers are another great option... as well as the Salk Song Towers.
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • BindingPoster
    Options
    I would say the best path to speaker-ownership satisfaction is to listen to speakers at your local dealers. That way you can pick your favorite based on what your senses enjoyed. Otherwise you are buying what someone else liked the sound of with a different system, in a completely different room, with what are likely to be very different desires and expectations.