Damping material on the back of the cabinet? SDA1C

Options
I searched the forum and was not able to find any previous post on this topic. I have a pair of SDA1C and hung a piece of fiberglass insulation on the back of each one and it seemed to tighten up the bass response and get rid of a little boom. Has anyone else experimented with this? Is there a product that would look better that the fiber glass I have there now?

Thanks,

Dmac99

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    Place a 4"x4" square of BlackHole 5 on the back wall behind each mid-driver. There are plenty of posts about that here.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Dmac99
    Dmac99 Posts: 19
    Options
    Thanks, I did see plenty of post about the BlackHole on the inside of the cabinet. I should have clarified this a little better. I was speaking about the outside back of the cabinet.
  • F1nut
    Options
    Say what!?!

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    edited March 2021
    Options
    How close to the back wall are your speakers? Generally, 5 to 6 inches is ideal with a half inch making or breaking the results. Boomy bass would indicate they are too close to the wall.

Also, spikes make a big difference especially if the speakers are on carpet. The 1C never came with spikes.

President of Club Polk

• Dmac99
    Options
    They are 14 inches from the back wall and not on spikes at the moment. The room I have them in is carpeted and the floor underneath is concrete which I think is a good thing.
  • F1nut
    Options
    Dmac99 wrote: »
    They are 14 inches from the back wall and not on spikes at the moment. The room I have them in is carpeted and the floor underneath is concrete which I think is a good thing.

You need to spike them because right now they are floating on the carpet, which results in poor bass performance. After adding the spikes move them closer to the wall and adjust the distance until you hit the sweet spot. You'll know it when you hear it.

President of Club Polk

• JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,479
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Adding to F1's advice, which is spot on, what you did with the fiberglass is addressing reflections that bounce behind and between the back walls. Your concept is better addressed as "room treatments" and is common behind/and/or to the side of the speakers and mounted on the wall. I have a large diffuser centered between the speakers, also, made w/a specific type of fiberglass batt. What you did is that, but opposite. Dial in based on F1's suggestion and then work out, so to speak, from there into the room with treatements. Edit to add...speakers 5-8" from the back wall, at least 2-3' from side walls and approx. 6-8' center to center, is the recommended starting point.
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • Dmac99
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. I plan on trying the Black hole squares and spikes. I would think that the Black Hole may also reduce some of those vibrations coming off the back wall of the speaker. I will see how that goes and then maybe some room treatment.
  • Dmac99
    Options
    I just moved them to 7 inches from the wall and moved my chair up. Wow, I finally got that seamless SDA experience and the bass is deeper and no boom. I recently upgraded the amplifier from an AVR to a Parasound Halo A21 and this caused me to bring the 1Cs' out of storage and give them another shot. Glad I did. Thanks !
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,479
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Dmac99 wrote: »
    Wow, I finally got that seamless SDA experience and the bass is deeper...moved them to 7 inches from the wall....Parasound Halo A21

Parasound + SDA = Sweet Sounds. Congrats on the outcome.
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬