Polk Audio for 2 - channel

xsmi
xsmi Posts: 1,786
I'm curious as to how many of us still use Polk Audio Speakers in a 2 channel set-up. I was telling my son over the weekend that I'd like to purchase a pair of Sonus Faber Il Cremonese used, and he was asking me why when my SDA-SRS's sound so good. Then he asked me why I don't get a pair of L800's when the time comes and call it day? That's when I began to wonder, as someone who has been a 20yr member of this forum, why am I looking outside of the namesake of the forum for my upgrade path? This is not to shame anyone, but I was just curios to see how many of us are still rocking with Polk Audio? If you'd like, maybe you could put the manufacturer/models you're currently running.
2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.

Polk Audio for 2 - channel 38 votes

Polk Audio - Vintage LS or Older
42% 16 votes
Polk Audio - Newer LSi or Newer
13% 5 votes
Other Manufacturer
44% 17 votes

Comments

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    edited March 2021
    I moved on from the SDAs a few years ago but have had a pair of JM Lab/Focal speakers as my main two channel speakers for the last decade or more. I do have a pair of LSiM 703s in a secondary two channel system. And, there's a pair of Spendor speakers around too. I'll see if a pair of Magnepan 1.7i can displace the JM Lab speakers when I get them but both will be staying. I still like to switch speakers out every few months since no speaker does everything perfectly. Home theater is full Polk LSiM.
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,786
    No one wants to respond to the poll at least?
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,907
    Polk LSiM 705's.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Fully modded SDA SRS2.3tl
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,136
    Polk 7B, fully modded
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    L200's currently, will sometimes rotate in LSiM 703's. Still occasionally will rotate in Monitor 7 or 4 Peerless.
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    I currently have Pioneer, Usher, and Rosso Fiorentino. Actually have Rti 10’s in my shop. Still have a pair of R50 in the closet. I’ve owned all LSi except the 25 as well as R15, Monitor 7, SDA1C, and LSiM703. If I’ve had a good place for the 1C, they probably never would have left. The R series are obviously an entry level speaker. I liked the Monitor 7, but never really had a place for them. I really enjoyed all of the LSi line as well as the 703, but I’ve just moved on to what consider better speakers. To be clear, the Pioneers are not as good as any of the Polks I’ve owned, but none of them would fit in the current location of the Pioneers and that system is strictly for background music.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Rosso Fiorentino in 2 channel and SDA 2Bs in HT 5.1 setup.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Had many over the years, now the only ones are the good ole M5s (the wedge speakers) on my deck. Also have some rt25is that I may I may use as surrounds at some point.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    I love SDA....and I'll probably always have a pair or two. However, my tastes migrated years ago. Right now, my main 2ch speakers are a pair of Thiel 3.6's and a pair of AR 302's. The Thiel's may very well be the best all around speaker I've ever had.....but, I've always been pulled back to planar speakers. The Carver's started the sickness but I had Quads for well over a decade.....I go back and forth and I'm REALLY toying with picking up a pair of Magnepans.
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • rburgess714
    rburgess714 Posts: 614
    Own the 703s in my home office 2-channel set up and they aren’t going anywhere any time soon. Have the Signature S60s in hybrid HT/2Channel rig and they have been outstanding, and I don’t plan on selling them but am looking to try something different.
    Living Room
    Parasound HINT 6, Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Yamaha BD-S681, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, Polk S60, Polk S30, Samsung 60" LED

Office
    Cambridge Audio 851A, Auralic Aries Mini, LSiM 703s

Douglas Connection ICs and Cables
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    I owned LSi25s for a long time. I liked them, but I didn't really have a big enough space and they were a bit dark for my taste... moved them on and didn't look back. great speakers though and I would own them again. Well, maybe a smaller pair.

I also owned some SDA-CRSs. They were great but my space wasn't quite big enough to get the best out of them, and I didn't have the money to refresh/upgrade them and make them really special. I also moved them along.

I've left the Polk stable at this point, and now have some JBL 4408s in my second system and Martin Logan LX16s in my main system. Couldn't be happier with the sound from either.

It's really all down to opinion. get out there and listen to some speakers. If the Polks float your boat, then that's the one. If the Klipsches, or the Martin Logans, or the KEFs, or the DefTechs, or whatever they are is what do it for you, then go for it. There does come a point where Polk doesn't make speakers at a high enough level to compete, but other brands with similar sounds come in at that point. :)

Good luck, and happy listening! -Micah
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,491
    o - All of the above.

Listening to Rolling Stones out of the 705's right now it they sound good to me!
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,116
    707's in the living room, two pairs of 703's (bi-wired) in the bedroom.
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,116
    0dmwbpmm0w9c.jpeg
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman