New member, new (old) speakers

Hey all, i just signed up as i just picked up a set of SDA SRS speakers. They are dead mint cosmetically, purchased from the original owner, first run SRS. I got a 20’ SDA cable, manual, and a bag of feet with them. I did have one dead tweeter, but as luck would have it, the day after i brought them home, i found four minty SL-2000 tweets nearby! The previous owner said he did have the Xovers gone thru a few years ago, but i am thinking just recapped, maybe poly-fuses removed?? I am pretty sure i cannot do many of the mods to this early set, other than Dynamatting the drivers, and eventually upgrading to RD0 194 tweets. Let me know your opinions, thanks! 3ykbysrskjsk.jpeg

Comments

• vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    They look good, I’m sure you will enjoy them.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Welcome. ;)

VERY NICE purchase.

Maybe the SL2000's will sound good to you.

Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Thanks! They were listed for a give-away price, so i could not pass them up! I think i should pull the mid/woofers and epoxy them to prevent magnet shift i am learning about... they sure sound nice!
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited February 2021
    I know about give-away prices. :s I have 2 rooms full of them. :D

That's a great start to epoxy the drivers. ;) I need to epoxy a bunch of Polk drivers myself.

What do you have powering them if I may ask?
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    He's using a Crown amp.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Yes i am currently using a Crown XLS 1502. I do have some vintage SS Sansui amps i can use, but only up to about 100 wpc. The Crown is rated at 525 @ 4 ohms i believe.. i am new to the hungrier speaker crowd, i have been an avid high efficiency horn loaded/tube amp combo enthusiast for years. I had owned Monitor 10 & RTA 12 pairs years ago and enjoyed them a bunch, so when these popped up i wanted to try them
  • F1nut
    The Sansui will sound better.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut wrote: »
    The Sansui will sound better.
    Very likely, i have a bunch of “AU” series blackface amps. Many i have painstakingly restored completely, replacing every electrolytic cap, any out of spec resistors and semiconductors. They are phenomenal sounding pieces. I really don’t use any vintage solid state gear other than Sansui, i have owned most all the brands. I do have many tube amps, vintage & modern, but i do not think they have the power to get the big Polks going to their full potential.. i sold my bigger PrimaLuna monoblocks, but those would not have worked either.. no common ground
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,521
    Welcome to CP. Great score man!

Try the Sansui and let us know what sounds better!
  • CH46E wrote: »
    Welcome to CP. Great score man!

Try the Sansui and let us know what sounds better!

Thankyou, and i will. I have a couple amplifiers to restore, then i will Loctite the mid/woofers, add some dynamat to them, and move them into my main rig
  • rudedogg
    rudedogg Posts: 7
    6jfy66el9j3l.jpeg
    I have begun gluing up the magnets in my SDA-SRS pair. Not too bad, i have 5 drivers done so far this morning. I am using Loctite PL Premium Max. It is a bit more costly than Power Grab, but has better steel/metal adhesion, with pretty easy smoothing ability with a wet finger tip.
  • F1nut
    You're doing the bottom of the magnet too, right?

President of Club Polk

• rudedogg
    rudedogg Posts: 7
    F1nut wrote: »
    You're doing the bottom of the magnet too, right?
    Hey F1, yes both top and bottom of the magnets. You can sort of see it in the pic, but being a gray color it blends in somewhat. I have done 8 drivers thus far, one complete speaker column. I have a couple more questions: 1) the drivers all move smoothly, no tangible drag, and sound fine, but not all the ceramic rings seem centered perfectly. Is this normal? Also, i am going to deaden the baskets while the drivers are out as well so #2) has anybody tried "Boom mat"? It is butyl rubber, same as Dynamat. Can be had in varying thickness, with foil outer skin like Dyna. But is somewhat easier to buy locally, as well as cheaper.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,136
    Never tried that one. As it happens, I weighed and measured a piece of Dynamat Xtreme today and I got that it was 0.068" thick and about 1.25 g/cm^3 density. I'd make sure that whatever you use has at least those or better.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • F1nut
    I believe the slightly off center magnets are not unusual.

I'm not familiar with that product, but if it is like Dynamat Xtreme it should be fine. One issue of possible concern is how well it stays stuck. Years ago I tried a similar product to Dynamat Xtreme that had a copper foil outer layer, which interested me due to the shielding capabilities. After a few months I had reason to open the enclosure I applied it to only to discover the product was falling off. Thankfully, I caught it before it came in contact with the electronics. Needless to say, I removed all of it and replaced it with Dynamat Xtreme.

President of Club Polk