Looking for help Monitor 5b

Hello. This is my first post. I recently acquired a flogged out pair of Monitor 5b's for the lofty sum of free dollars. I am missing a tweeter and assume the crossovers are shot as one of them is loose in the cabinet and the components look crusty. They are missing screws and one of the grill's tabs are broken. I am considering investing in fixing them up. Does anyone sell parts? Are you aware of anyone offering the service of re building the X-over? I can post pics if need be. Thank you.

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Welcome. There are plenty of that model floating around in working condition for way less than you'd spend to get yours working.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,136
    edited March 2021
    Welcome! Sure, post some pictures. We like pictures. You would probably want to overhaul/upgrade the crossovers in any flea market/Goodwill/Craigslist/eBay 5B's you might find, so you are only talking the cost of a grille peg and a tweeter. Not that much.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,636
    The 5B's are worth your time and effort. They sound great being in a smaller package than the larger monitors of that era. Once fixed up, you'll be glad you did. Welcome to the forum. Great people here to help you learn and restore these fine classics.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • zapviii
    zapviii Posts: 6
    ta0i19yyv9qc.jpg
    7cup93g60l3d.jpg
    spctdhcnprpx.jpg

Thanks for responding. I think that I would like to fix em up. I like the design. Passive radiators are neat. I guess my next question is regarding were I can find a tweeter and the model number of said tweeter. I found a couple of different models at Midwest speaker repair. one is mt-4115. The other is RD0194-1 SL2000

https://www.midwestspeakerrepair.com/shop/home-audio/tweeters/dome/mw-audio-mt-4115-1-inch-dome-tweeter/

https://www.midwestspeakerrepair.com/shop/home-audio/tweeters/polk-audio-1-tweeters/polk-audio-sl2000-1-inch-dome-tweeter/

The other is K010DT at Simply Speakers

https://www.simplyspeakers.com/replacement-speaker-peerless-dome-tweeter-t-k010dt.html

None of these appear to be an exact match. My remaining tweeter has a silver bezel.

I would also be willing to pay someone to re do the X-overs if that is appropriate.

Thanks again!
  • F1nut
    You have the SL1000 tweeter, which pretty much sucked. The replacement is the RD0194, but to use it requires a little reworking of the bezel opening. Well worth the effort though. You'll need two.

Try member westmassguy for the crossover work. You'll need to replace the missing fuse in last pic.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,044
    Those poor babies were rode hard & put away wet.
  • zapviii
    tonyp063 wrote: »
    Those poor babies were rode hard & put away wet.

You aint lyin'. They were my uncle's. He moved around a lot.

Thank you F1.
  • F1nut
    BTW, that resistor looks like it cooked. You'll want those replaced as well.

President of Club Polk

• dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    If it were me, I’d look for a minty pair of 5’s with Peerless tweeters, as F1 said there are plenty floating around for a very reasonable price. You could keep your uncle’s drivers for spares or sell them to help fund an upgrade. By the time you purchase RD0-194 tweeters, rebuild the crossovers, fix the grill tabs, perhaps fix the grills themselves etc., you could buy a pair of LSi-7’s or LSi-9’s. Maybe even a pair of used LSiM-703’s if you really lucked out and found the right deal.
  • zapviii
    Yeah. I think you are on to something here for sure. They don't look as promising today having slept on it and priced out parts etc.
  • Spkrdctr
    Spkrdctr Posts: 10
    Yikes! I would not spend one cent on those speakers. They belong in the local dump. Spend a few dollars and get some decent speakers that are not trashed. There are some decent speakers out there that do not cost an arm and a leg. A great site for finding quality gear that is not mega expensive is Audioholics website. They have inexpensive speaker reviews and high dollar reviews. They like Polk speakers a lot too. But they do articles on the best speakers for $200 and such.
  • F1nut
    If you think that site is a great place you have a lot to learn.

President of Club Polk

• zapviii
    F1nut wrote: »

Would you mind pointing me in a better direction? I am all ears.
  • F1nut
    edited March 2021
    You're at it. B)

Some good info at the Hoffman Forum too.

President of Club Polk

• ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    zapviii wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »

Would you mind pointing me in a better direction? I am all ears.

I believe Jesse was replying to @Spkrdctr suggesting that AH was a great source of info. It's not, IMHO...
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,330
    With the SL-1000, tweeter fuse, lack of space between the MW and PR and logo attached to the bottom of the cabinet, they seem more like 5A. The XO also looks 5A.

Anyway, you can get the grill pins from Parts Express. Get the shorter ones.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601