Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
Mains Salk HT2-TL
Rythmik F12

Comments

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,973
    Options
    interesting rationale for the merger:

"It comes down to a simple idea: finding new ways for artists to support their work. New ideas are found at the intersections, and we believe there’s a compelling one between music and the economy. Making the economy work for artists is similar to what Square has done for sellers."
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • CoolJazz
    CoolJazz Posts: 569
    edited March 2021
    Options
    So now Dorsey decides what you see from your Tweeterbook feed AND decides what music artists are ok for you to listen to?

99luc8gs9r70.jpg

Makes me very glad I own my music instead of renting it!

CJ
    A so called science type proudly says... "I do realize that I would fool myself all the time, about listening conclusions and many other observations, if I did listen before buying. That’s why I don’t, I bought all of my current gear based on technical parameters alone, such as specs and measurements."
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,085
    Options
    CoolJazz wrote: »
    So now Dorsey decides what you see from your Tweeterbook feed AND decides what music artists are ok for you to listen to?

CJ

My thoughts exactly.
    My dollars will most likely end up in Francois
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,163
    Options
    So glad I’ll never need or want their service!
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • charley96
    charley96 Posts: 306
    Options

99luc8gs9r70.jpg

CJ

He has that type of face I'd like to backhand.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,560
    Options
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options
    With an iron glove on!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,095
    Options
    charley96 wrote: »

99luc8gs9r70.jpg

CJ

How did a homeless guy get so rich...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    charley96 wrote: »

99luc8gs9r70.jpg

CJ

How did a homeless guy get so rich...

????

Guy Laliberte

https://cordmagazine.com/business/entrepreneurship/guy-laliberte-from-homeless-to-multi-billionaire/
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options
    Wearing tights and white face paint.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,276
    Options

How did a homeless guy get so rich...[/quote]

He got rich off from nothing
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,001
    Options
    I've owned Square stock for a couple of years now, and it's had a nice run-up, especially during the pandemic. But lately they've gone a little off-the-rails, taking positions with BitCoin, and now this. I can understand the Bitcoin investment since Square is in financial services, but I really wish he had used his Twitter capital for the Tidal investment. Using Square for this makes no sense, and it seems the markets concur since SQ is down 8% today.

Might be time to dump my Square stock.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,928
    Options
    Given that SQ has gone from $32 to $283 since last March, it’s not surprising to see a correction during the current market pullback.

It’s still trading for around $200.

The logic behind the deal might be to drive engagement with a young hipster crowd — not much of that hanging out in CP 😂 — and since the deal represents about 0.3% of Square’s market capitalization, even if it was a complete failure, it would not have any meaningful impact on SQ. The risk/reward analysis would seem to heavily favor potentially significant rewards vs. negligible risks.

Judging by the announcement, Jay-Z and Dorsey also seem to have a good relationship on a personal level.
    Alea jacta est!
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,037
    Options
    Just old hipsters here.

Cool, daddy.

wsf3a8jw7ito.png
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,928
    Options
    👆 Which one is you, Mr. Hardy?! 😉
    Alea jacta est!
  • jdjohn
    Options
    That picture could have taken last week, and just a B&W filter applied :D
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • jdjohn
    Options
    Kex wrote: »
    Given that SQ has gone from $32 to $283 since last March, it’s not surprising to see a correction during the current market pullback.

It’s still trading for around $200.
    Yeah, but if closes below $200 today, that blows through the previous low/support from late January. Next stop could be $150. I took some profits from it a couple weeks ago, but still have some shares left. Roku has been another good performer over the last year, but also pulling back a lot recently.

• mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,262
    Options
    Well as long as he can make money for me that's all that matters.
    Sal Palooza
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    anonymouse wrote: »
    deleted. i was saying something really rude to the prior poster because that is such a lame comment. symptomatic of its leanings and sense of ethics.

anonymous, don’t worry about it. Just ignore him.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,262
    Options
    "A man's worth is judged by his pursuit and accumulation of latinum".
    Quark

udiab5b1teb0.png
    Sal Palooza
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,037
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Saw an interesting factoid posted in a discussion elsewhere on this topic (albeit one much more focused on MQA bashing).
    The source of the "data" (estimates): https://musically.com/2020/06/23/report-there-were-400m-music-subscribers-globally-at-end-of-q1-2020/
    Consultancy firm Midia Research has published its music subscriber market share figures for Q1 2020, claiming that by the end of March there were 400 million music subscribers globally.

By Midia’s reckoning, that’s year-on-year growth of 30%, with 93 million net new music subscribers added since the end of March 2019. In his blog post, MD Mark Mulligan noted that this is an acceleration in growth, since the prior 12-month period had seen 77 million net new subs.

(Note: we’re nearly at the end of Q2 2020 now. If the rate of growth had continued – a big assumption, given the uncertainties around the Covid-19 pandemic – the global total should be past 420 million at the time of writing.)

Midia has also broken down those 400 million subscribers by service, with these percentage estimates:
    – Spotify: 32%
    – Apple Music: 18%
    – Amazon Music: 14%
    – Tencent Music: 11%
    – Google Play / YouTube Music: 6%
    – Deezer: 2%
    – Pandora: 1%
    – Others: 16%

So... Tidal is (EDIT: was, Q1 2020) buried down in that Others category. Their ostensible share (Q1 2020) was about 3% of the total.

Obviously, this is a whole year ago, and I cannot vouch for the accuracy of any of the numbers... but Tidal does seem to be, at least in the recent past, a Tempest in a Teapot, at best.