Margules Magenta

Margules is a not-so-well known boutique hi-fi manufacturer based in Mexico City. Despite their relatively unknown status, the Margules family has been in the audio business for nearly 100 years!

The Margules rooms at past audio shows have consistently been my favorites, and some of the best sound at the show. It's one of those rooms where you walk in, and almost immediately you realize something is just "different" about the sound that you're hearing. Then when you sit down to listen, it's very hard to get up and go to another room.

I had an opportunity to experience this Margules magic in my own system recently when I reviewed the Margules Magenta Monitors being powered by the Magenta ACRH-1.2 Integrated Amplifier. You can read my review of the equipment here: https://theaudiobeatnik.com/review-margules-magenta-studio-monitors-and-acrh-1-2-integrated-amplifier/

Here's some photos I've taken of their rooms from past shows. Their gear is beautifully designed, and sounds even better than it looks.

Margules10.jpg

0w3nyej7t2ey.jpg

Comments

• pglbook
    pglbook Posts: 2,163
    edited September 2020
    Thanks. Very nice review. And thanks for reviewing a "not-so-well known" brand. It is nice to learn about somthing outside of the big audio names.

I had never heard about Margules and I am intrigued that the company is based in Mexico City. My wife and I go to Mexico City every year for a few weeks to visit her family and I will have to make a visit to Margules the next time I am there (which, unfortunately, will not be until later next year at the earliest given the state of coronavirus in Mexico and the world).
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    Another very good review, Drew.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    pglbook wrote: »
    I had never heard about Margules and I am intrigued that the company is based in Mexico City. My wife and I go to Mexico City every year for a few weeks to visit her family and I will have to make a visit to Margules the next time I am there.

Nice man! You should definitely schedule a visit/tour the next time you are there.

You might like this article I read a while back about someone who visited their Mexico City HQ. Sounds like it was an incredible experience: https://www.dagogo.com/visiting-margules-audio/
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Interesting. Never heard of them, but they are nice looking speakers. If the sound matches their appearance then they are winners.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Clipdat
    edited September 2020
    Their Orpheous speakers are just stunning with the real thick hardwood fronts. MSRP $19k. One of my dream/endgame speakers.

margules8.jpg?resize=940%2C705&ssl=1

L1000040.jpg

margules7.jpg?resize=940%2C1227&ssl=1

91228622_3674442242628119_8192518184314601472_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_sid=8024bb&_nc_ohc=bbw4Wh-LzY0AX9quJ6d&_nc_oc=AQmiCG9zR5ptwGmMbQ33k3t5dn9zMN8P-0Ag3_ZOOil5P37uhn5E9L9-48PamsYxAp4&_nc_ht=scontent-sjc3-1.xx&oh=f9b6c72826ef1989f64d14b17a139c5d&oe=5F7724FF

118402335_4286732938065710_1436171192075159651_o.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_sid=8024bb&_nc_ohc=ubRmN59tX3sAX-FLmBM&_nc_ht=scontent-sjc3-1.xx&oh=8e9aeb1bfb754c1c5189c62fe069c6be&oe=5F77E2A0
  • Those speakers are beautiful and they have lots of interesting and unique design features, like titanium voice coils (3% IACS !) and aluminum ceramic cones and HDF (high density fiberboard) and Viroc (cemented particle board) laminated panels for all but the front which is some solid piece of sculpted rain forest wood! Who couldn't be intrigued? I have to read some of the many reviews.

But....and not to be negative......$19K and I only get a 40 Hz (with no dB qualifier) low end to the frequency response?
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • Clipdat
    But....and not to be negative......$19K and I only get a 40 Hz (with no dB qualifier) low end to the frequency response?

Take a look back at the show photos in the first post. They easily filled that large room they were in with supple and tight bass. One listen to them and you'd suddenly stop caring what the quoted low end frequency response is. :)
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Very nice review Drew. This is one company I'd like to get my ears on in the future.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Yes the quality of the bass is often more important than the extension. But when you've got both, that's the holy grail.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Excellent review Drew! Another speaker to keep my eye on and the integrated sounds well designed!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Since vanilla won't give me permission to edit my text (what next lol), I want to say that I hope I get the chance to hear their room at the NY Audio Show sometime in the future :)
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited September 2020
    You used to have an hour to edit a post. Are you saying that is gone? Let me try to edit this post.

Edit: It still works.

Edit #2: Maybe it no longer works for an hour, but only for a few minutes. If I don’t forget I will try later.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • This was the first time I got a message that I didn't have "permission" to edit my post. Usually or typically if the time was past, there was no way to initiate the process on my end. I guess the boys smokin' the ganga have been playing with the code again :)
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • pglbook
    pglbook Posts: 2,163
    edited September 2020
    Clipdat wrote: »
    pglbook wrote: »
    I had never heard about Margules and I am intrigued that the company is based in Mexico City. My wife and I go to Mexico City every year for a few weeks to visit her family and I will have to make a visit to Margules the next time I am there.

Nice man! You should definitely schedule a visit/tour the next time you are there.

You might like this article I read a while back about someone who visited their Mexico City HQ. Sounds like it was an incredible experience: https://www.dagogo.com/visiting-margules-audio/

Thanks for the link to the article, Drew. It was a great read and has convinced me to definitely stop by their HQ (I have been to Colonia Roma many times) the next time I am in Mexico City. I definitely want to audition some of their speakers and it would be great to talk audio with them for an afternoon as the writer of the article did.