Any MW Driver Dynamat tips?

dh5rrd7zqf6u.jpeg
I made a template to cut the dynamat and do a one piece install. I cut it out with scissors, and it was kind of a pain. Anything better for cutting this stuff? Tried an exacto, but it wanted to wander.

Is a one piece application a complete waste of time and material? Id have lots more left over if i did strips, and it’s a lot easier to cut straight.

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    You do not have to completely cover the basket to get the results needed.
    Strips work just fine and accomplish the same thing.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,135
    edited March 2021
    Overkill works in this situation :D I couldn't find anything better than a very sharp and pointy xacto knife. It works about as good as you can get and can be used for trimming any overhang of the windows. The stuff tends to squash out a bit when you roll/press it out. I cut with a particle board piece underneath and the paper side up, but that is probably how you are doing it. Scissors would get all gunked up and can't negotiate turns very well.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,965
    I cut mine with tin snips, works great.

Little overkill, strips are really all you need
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    Use a box cutter and a straight edge.....it ain't rocket science. Covering the entire basket is a total waste of material. One strip on each spoke is all you need.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• @F1nut exactly what I was hoping to hear! Covering the whole basket was tedious.

I did the four strips on my blown 6510 to see how it works out.

Lookin ok?:

zwbaa470zy08.jpeg
  • I put four strips on all four MW6510s. This is the most rewarding mod I’ve done to these so far.

I played ELO’s greatest hits on vinyl first, because it’s very loud in the midrange. I always dial the 1khz knob down when playing this record, otherwise it sounds harsh to me. It sounded better than ever with no tone controls!

I put four strips on the PRs and listened again, and didn’t notice any difference.

I wish I hadn’t waited so long to do this mod! It was so easy and worthwhile.

pwiq9qz95p3m.jpeg
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,135
    edited March 2021
    Congrats! I noticed an incremental improvement with the Passives, although not as much. Try something with lots of percussion, like Santana III

Oh, and I admit that I am a bit OCD, but baskets were pretty much covered in their entirety, one piece as you initially did (except the PRs which were a donut disc + rectangles). I also soundproofed my stainless steel kitchen sink with the stuff lol
    Post edited by Gardenstater on
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    @F1nut exactly what I was hoping to hear! Covering the whole basket was tedious.

I did the four strips on my blown 6510 to see how it works out.

Lookin ok?:

zwbaa470zy08.jpeg

Perfect B)
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,965
    That's how I did but I did add a rectangle piece in between.

I would be curious to know the difference between dynamat and window tape.

I had to use foil backed window tape recently and immediately felt like I was working with dynamat. The shower in my master bath is a one piece an di actually used the left over window tape to dampen the surround.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    VR3 wrote: »
    That's how I did but I did add a rectangle piece in between.

I would be curious to know the difference between dynamat and window tape.

I had to use foil backed window tape recently and immediately felt like I was working with dynamat. The shower in my master bath is a one piece an di actually used the left over window tape to dampen the surround.

Good idea. Nobody wants to hear what you are doing in the shower...😆