Name the best rock bands of the last 30 years

afterburnt
afterburnt Posts: 7,892
edited March 2021 in Music & Movies
I thought this would be interesting to see what yooz say. I can only think of 2 or 3 that I would consider good.

Comments

• michaeljhsda2
    michaeljhsda2 Posts: 2,165
    Mazzy Star
    SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    SDA 1C's w/Clarity Cap ESA; PA, Mills, RD0194-1's
    SDA 2B TL's w/RD0198-1's
    Yaqin MC-30L integrated tube amp
    Yaqin MS-20L integrated tube amp
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    edited March 2021
    Are we defining rock as broadly as it was in the 60s and early 70s, or more narrowly?!?

In either case, here are a few:

Radiohead
    Wilco
    U2
    Pearl Jam
    Nirvana
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • afterburnt
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    Are we defining rock as broadly as it was in the 60s and early 70s, or more narrowly?!?

Radiohead
    Wilco
    U2
    Pearl Jam
    Nirvana

Defined like ****, you know it when you hear it.

I am pretty sure U2 is too old for the survey. If they were on the radar in the 80's they are disqualified.
  • rooftop59
    afterburnt wrote: »

Radiohead
    Wilco
    U2
    Pearl Jam
    Nirvana

Defined like ****, you know it when you hear it.

I am pretty sure U2 is too old for the survey. If they were on the radar in the 80's they are disqualified.

Haha well that is also amorphous and culturally defined now isn’t it? I mean the things I see now on HBO etc. would definitely have been considered erotic in my cultural context when I was growing up...

Okay so bands that have NOT been around for MORE than 30 years...got it.

I’ll add some broader “rock”:
    The tedeschi trucks band
    The black keys
    The avett brothers (who absolutely rock in concert!)
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    So basically 1990-2020ish. I mean, there's lots of bands who started before 1990 that have had good work since then. If the band includes the name of the primary artist, does that still count as a band?
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,305
    I can’t think of any... Crazy how much the field narrowed (disappeared?) in a mere 20 years, from ‘75-‘95.
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Tool, Clutch, Kyuss, Down, that's all I can think of right now.
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    QUEENSRYCHE
    GODSMACK
    ALICE IN CHAINS
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,305
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    QUEENSRYCHE
    GODSMACK
    ALICE IN CHAINS

There IS one - thanks!
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    edited March 2021
    If criteria is first significant recording after 1991:

Radiohead
    The Flaming Lips
    Opeth
    Riverside
    Porcupine Tree
    Spock's Beard
    Joe Bonamassa
    Alabama Shakes
    Chris Stapleton (Country? But he rocks)

The "old" rock bands were still crowding the rock audience at least into the 2000s.

Toss in Dream Theater too.
    Post edited by Emlyn on
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,558
  • afterburnt
    jdjohn wrote: »
    So basically 1990-2020ish. I mean, there's lots of bands who started before 1990 that have had good work since then. If the band includes the name of the primary artist, does that still count as a band?

Yes
    Yes
    No
    and
    Yes
  • rooftop59
    edited March 2021
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Virtually none of the new music or artists I've listened to since ca. 1990 has been rock, for better or for worse.

K, I will say this one last time:

ITS BECAUSE YOU'RE AN OLD F@RT!!!

But I still love ya doc...
    Post edited by rooftop59 on
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • rooftop59
    edited March 2021
    Listening the the Heartless &astards*: Arrow right now. They have put out some pretty good blues rock imho...

*Vanilla wouldn’t let me type their actual name!
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    I buy two new rock (Metal) albums every week from HDTracks. Generally, they are fine.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    The lines get blurred between Rock, Metal, Alternative, Indie, and even Pop.
    Anyway...

The Killers
    Jet
    Green Day
    Jack White
    3 Doors Down
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    The Black Keys

Though if you start at 1990 you have to include the better grunge bands.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • dr1978
    dr1978 Posts: 424
    Listening the the Heartless &astards*: Arrow right now. They have put out some pretty good blues rock imho...

*Vanilla wouldn’t let me type their actual name!

I really liked The Mountain
    Pro-ject 2 Experience SB, OPPO BDP-103, Marantz SR5011, Lounge LCR MKIII, McCormack DNA-HT5, Polk LSiM705, Polk LSiM706C, Polk LSiM702, SVS SB16-Ultra
  • dr1978
    edited March 2021
    Agree with several here but I'll add in Queens of the Stone Age and System of A Down
    Pro-ject 2 Experience SB, OPPO BDP-103, Marantz SR5011, Lounge LCR MKIII, McCormack DNA-HT5, Polk LSiM705, Polk LSiM706C, Polk LSiM702, SVS SB16-Ultra
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,042
    Guns and Roses, Motley Crue, Mettalica, Kiss..... :)
  • afterburnt
    Soundgarden
    Alice in chains
    and maybe
    Jane's addiction
    That's it, everything else pretty much svcked.
    BTW there are only two genres.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Faith No More
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Foo Fighters
    Audioslave
    Disturbed
    System Of A Down
    Chevelle
    Staind
    Tool
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • dr1978
    King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard!
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    dr1978 wrote: »
    King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard!

Now that is a right snappy name!
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    I'll add STP to the list