Is midrange sounding "scratchy" considered normal in RTi/Rtia speakers?

I've got RTi10's, an RTia7, as well as an CSia6, & on certain midrange tones (easily triggered by bare synthesizer sounds), I can hear a scratchy/crackling/popping sound with my ears close to the midrange drivers in all of these speakers, but not on other speakers or headphones. I have doubts that my amp is overdriving them as its occurring at moderate levels on various content, though it does seem to get worse with more volume.

My receiver is an Anthem MRX-520 (100 watts per channel) with a NAD C272 (2x150w) for front L/R. I've hooked up some Infinity P252 towers to the rear channels, put the receiver in "all stereo" mode, & downmixed my source to mono so every speaker is being fed the same thing. The smaller 5.25" woofers on the cheaper Infinity speakers do not have this issue. Neither do Sennheiser HD579 headphones when plugged into the Anthem. Same issue when I tried my Harman/Kardon receiver. Are the Rti's revealing something in the recording that the others are not?

Here's an example of a recording that seems to trigger it. I've cut out most of the low & high frequencies, left the mids flat & looped it a few times & the pops between each loop are not what I'm talking about. Can someone with Rti/Rtia's listen up close & see if they hear a scratchy distortion sound from their midrange drivers?

I enjoy the sound of the RTiA line otherwise & was looking at getting RTiA9's, but I want to know first if this is normal, or is it clipping in the recording, or do I have some other issue. I've seen one other thread on here mentioning something similar (https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/134195/rtia7-woofer-popping), not sure if it's the same issue.

Thanks

Answers