PSW108 Blowing Fuses and Not Turning On

Options
So I just got this thing for free because the owner didn't want to deal with it and I thought hey- I'm handy I might be able to get it going.

Contacted Polk and ran their driver/amp test- my driver is fine which means the amp is bad. Cool.

Obviously I'm out of warranty and that doesn't bug me. They offered to let me ship it in for a diagnosis and repair cost but I'm already 99% sure whatever I'm charged far exceeds what the thing is worth. Plus they want me to ship it out on my own dime and with how heavy the amp board is I know that won't be cheap.

So I'm left with a few options- I can buy a new board outright. I found a few online for about $70-90 and that seems reasonable. There's third party amps out there but it seems the virus apocalypse has affected their supply lines so a lot of the third party options are out of stock.

So I'm wondering if I could just repair the amp and keep it. I'm not a fan of creating e-waste and honestly I'd prefer to repair than fully replace the unit, I'm just not sure exactly how.

I have a soldering iron and a multimeter and most tools necessary to prod at and repair so I'm hoping someone here knows what I should be looking at and possibly replacing.

As far as I know- it's blowing fuses no matter what you put in (slow-burn or not) and that tells me too much power is running through somewhere, I just don't know where and how to check.

Does anyone have advice?

Answers

• Spkrdctr
    Options
    Any repair shop could probably fix it fairly cheap. If you do not know how to check each individual component, it is much harder to fix. If the repair shop wants too much money, just throw away the sub and get a new one. I ALWAYS suggest going up to a bigger sub if you are getting a new one. Most people do not have enough sub. They will beat the crap out of a small sub until it fails, where a bigger sub not working as hard will last many years. Good Luck!