Intermittent Power Loss

Another problem I'm having with my vintage Model 10s is an intermittent drop in volume (power loss?) in both left and right speakers, not at the same time. Could be the left one time, could be the right. I've tried spraying contact cleaner at the terminal posts on the speakers and my amp. Helps for a while and the starts in again. Any ideas?

Comments

• Faustin
    Faustin Posts: 1,149
    Are the speaker crossovers original? If so they are past their prime. What are you powering them with, and how old is that source?
  • RTally
    RTally Posts: 14
    Spraying contact cleaner on terminal posts will not do anything for speakers cutting out. Just make sure the speaker wire connections are tight with no loose strands of wire sticking out. If the amp has spring clip terminals, make sure that the wires are connected securely.

If it is happening on both channels, even if at different times, it is likely the amp.

If you have another pair of speakers, play them at the same volume level to see if they cut out, too. If so, it is your amp.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    Which version of 10's? Could be the polyswitches giving up the ghost. How loud are you playing them when it happens?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    It will be the polyswitches, which become hypersensitive after being tripped a few times, so that the volume level doesn't even have to be very high.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• fingerstyleray
    fingerstyleray Posts: 4
    edited February 2021
    Thanks guys. I'm going to rebuild the crossovers. Parts are already on order. Seems to do it more on a low or moderate level. The amp (Yamaha CA610-ll) has spring clips for spkr connectors. They suck but will try spraying Where are the polyswitches and what are they? The speakers do have a fuse in the round plate where the binding posts are. We don't use polyswitches to build guitar amps (!https://www.sundragonamps.com)!
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    Polyswitch/Thermistor= resettable fuse. They trip easier and easier as they get older and tripped. Mine would trip at about 25-50 watts it's VERY frustrating. We replace them with a resistor to compensate for the resistance of the polyswitch.
  • F1nut
    edited February 2021
    The speakers do have a fuse in the round plate where the binding posts are.

In that case you don't have a polyswitch. Try cleaning the fuse ends and clip holders...as in take the fuse out of the clips to clean it all.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Thanks F1Nut. Will take the fuses out and lightly sand off any oxidation on the clips and spray with a cleaner
  • F1nut
    Do not sand them. Just clean them with contact cleaner then wipe them dry with a cotton cloth.

President of Club Polk