SDA SRS 2 B/B Speaker Question

Good day to All!! I am new to this forum. I recently purchased a pair of SDA SRS 2 B/B Speakers. I have searched the forum for some time now learning and reading about various updates and modifications that can be done to these to regenerate there sound. My question is once I remove the speakers to get to the crossovers, are there any seals or material that is needed to be replaced to reinstall the speakers back into the cabinets to ensure that the cabinet is airtight. If I am not to clear, please feel free to ask whatever questions you would like. I appreciate the wealth of information that is contained in the forum for far. I look forward to doing what is necessary to bring them back to their glory. Thanks in advance.

Best Answer

• Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,136
    Answer ✓
    The one with the large (firecracker) black electrolytic is from May (86?) and the other XO has a date of Oct of 86.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform

Answers

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Welcome to Club Polk.

Unless the original gaskets are torn there is no reason to replace them. They are supposed to be paper thin.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Thanks F1 for the quick response. I will now take them out carefully and see what is there. If I have any other questions, will return. Have a great day!!
  • One more question, what is the benefit of replacing the SL2000 Tweeters with the RD-0194-1 Tweeters??
  • TennMan
    TennMan Posts: 1,261
    One more question, what is the benefit of replacing the SL2000 Tweeters with the RD-0194-1 Tweeters??

Better sound and your pocketbook will be a little lighter.
    • SDA 2BTL · Sonicaps · Mills resistors · RDO-198s · New gaskets · H-nuts · Erse inductors · BH5 · Dynamat
    • Crossover upgrades by westmassguy
    • Marantz 1504 AVR (front speaker pre-outs to Adcom 555)
    • Adcom GFA-555 amp · Upgrades & speaker protection added by OldmanSRS
    • Pioneer DV-610AV DVD/CD player
    • SDA CRS+ · Hidden away in the closet
  • F1nut
    One more question, what is the benefit of replacing the SL2000 Tweeters with the RD-0194-1 Tweeters??

Your ears will be spared from ice picks.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• LOL!! Thank you Sir!! Response Greatly Appreciated!!
  • kxgtrc1ahs3c.jpg
    Pic of Right Speaker Low Pass Crossover
    rhn689kltos1.jpg
    Pic of Left Speaker Low Pass Crossover

Good Day All,
    I removed the Bass Speaker to view the take pics of the crossover networks for both left and right speakers for later reference if I decide to rework them. What I found interesting is in the pics above of the Left and Right Low Pass Xover. Does something look different between the two? Do you think that they came from the factory that way or do you feel one of them was modded? Just curious. Your thoughts are appreciated!!

Have a great day

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    That is factory from day 1
  • F1nut
    ^ This ^

President of Club Polk

• Why the two different colors for the larger capacitor?
  • F1nut
    Because they used whatever was on hand from large bins of the things.

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    The one with the large (firecracker) black electrolytic is from May (86?) and the other XO has a date of Oct of 86.

Nothing like pointing out the obvious.

President of Club Polk