LSIM 705

Options
mantis
mantis Posts: 17,057
Hello all,
Never got my ears on them and I know they are discontinued now but curious on what's the general option on them? I have heard the LSIM 703 Book shelf speakers years ago and they where very nice. Hows that Mahogany Black color?
Dan
My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Comments

• shs
    shs Posts: 105
    Options
    I use the 705s and front left and right with a 703 for a center. Since they all use the same tweeter and midrange they sound very much the same, but of course the 705s can dig deeper if you want to use them without a subwoofer. Attached in a pic of the 703 in the very dark mahogany color. I think they look like a fine piece of furniture. ekr6di5kf5q7.png
    SONY VPL-VW385ES, Da-Lite 92" 0.9 HD progressive 16x9 screen, Apple TV 4K, Oppo UDP 203, Anthem AVM 60, D-Sonic 4000 (800x3, 400x4) for bed layer, 2 Crown XLS 1002 (225x4) for Atmos; Speakers: Polk LSiM 705s, 703 front, 4 702F/X surround, 4 Polk TL3 (Atmos), Velodyne DD15 Subwoofer.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,373
    Options
    As home theater speakers I like that they applied a satin type finish to most of the cabinet surfaces. They draw less attention to themselves than the piano black that's popular now would. The front baffle is black gloss but the grilles hide most of that.

I remember reading here something about the mahogany being the cherry veneer with a black stain applied over it. In low light they look black. In sunlight they look like very dark brown as seen the the photo above (nice by the way!).
  • mantis
    Options
    They look really nice.
    Dan
  • shs
    edited February 2021
    Options
    fbybrodhe8pu.jpg
    While I could have gone with 3 703s for my fronts with the left and right on stands, I preferred the look of the 705 towers which have the same build quality and finish. This photo was taken a while ago. I now have a 2nd sub that help hide some of cables, etc. seen in that pic.
    SONY VPL-VW385ES, Da-Lite 92" 0.9 HD progressive 16x9 screen, Apple TV 4K, Oppo UDP 203, Anthem AVM 60, D-Sonic 4000 (800x3, 400x4) for bed layer, 2 Crown XLS 1002 (225x4) for Atmos; Speakers: Polk LSiM 705s, 703 front, 4 702F/X surround, 4 Polk TL3 (Atmos), Velodyne DD15 Subwoofer.
  • mantis
    Options
    I really like the satin like black finish on them. I'd love to find a local pair to check out.
    Dan
  • warren
    warren Posts: 756
    Options
    How many hours does it take to break the lsim 705’s ..
    Some final words,
    "If you keep banging your head against the wall,
    you're going to have headaches."
    Warren
  • mantis
    Options
    Typically speakers take about 200 hours of playtime for them to be broken in.
    Dan
  • warren
    warren Posts: 756
    Options
    mantis wrote: »
    Typically speakers take about 200 hours of playtime for them to be broken in.
    Thank you!!

Some final words,
    "If you keep banging your head against the wall,
    you're going to have headaches."
    Warren
  • shs
    Options
    The LSiMs can be a little rough until broken in. It is a gradual process, so just let it happen.
  • shs
    Options
    Let me add that when I first installed my 705s and 703 upfront in our home theater, I thought they sounded marvelous, with a seamless front sound field. However, at some point I realized that one of my 705s had developed some serious distortion from the midbass driver. Polk technical support sent me a new driver, but that didn’t help. Same with the crossover. So, Polk sent me a whole new 705, which was much appreciated. There was no midbass distortion, so that was the good part. However, the front sound field was no longer seamless as the new speaker put out clues that it was there. It sounded fine on its own, but I was very aware that some sounds were coming directly from that speaker, which ideally should not happen. After a couple weeks of use, that issue went away and they have been great ever since.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,481
    Options
    mantis wrote: »
    I really like the satin like black finish on them. I'd love to find a local pair to check out.

Are you interested in buying or just getting your ears on them? I could help out with either. My midnight mahogany 705's have been living under a big plastic bag in the bedroom for 2 years. Young cats and a desire to not have them trashed will do that. Let me know if you want to check them out. I'm ready to let them go if the price is right.
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,064
    Options
    Loved my 703 in Midnight Mahogany. Very unique color. The 705 are a really nice looking and sounding speaker.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden