Surrounds for Lsim?

Options
Hi I have set of Lsim 705s and the 704c on the way. How would polk s15s work for surrounds?

Comments

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,373
    Options
    Not a perfect match, but they would work ok as surrounds. May be a good choice if space is limited or if putting them elevated up on a wall. It's far more important to have the front three speakers matched with each other. Ideal would be to have a pair or two of the LSiM 702s as surrounds.
  • Coralinus
    Options
    Thats sort of the response i figured id get. I think the thing for me to do is give it a try and see if it bothers me. I already own the signatures and am just waiting for the Lsims to show up. My thinking is that I bearly notice the surrounds as it is so it may not bug me. It might bother me a little at most. Would it bother me enough to make me upgrade? Thats hard to tell.
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,939
    Options
    Since you already have them, it makes sense to try it out. There might be other things you could upgrade in your system before the surrounds that would yield more improvements.

My OCD would probably niggle me after a year or so, especially if I had the spare 💰 for the matching surrounds.
    Alea jacta est!
  • JayDog
    JayDog Posts: 266
    Options
    Kex wrote: »

My OCD would probably niggle me after a year or so, especially if I had the spare 💰 for the matching surrounds.

x2
  • shs
    shs Posts: 105
    Options
    I ran with LSiM up front and non-Polk speakers for surrounds for a year or so and then out of "purity of essence" or OCD, I bought the 702 F/X. I was really surprised how much better they blended with the LSiM fronts, so much that they seemed not to be working, which of course they were. The blended so well that they essentially disappeared and formed a more seamless soundstage than I got with my previous surround speakers.

Stick with what you have for now, but the other consideration is that the 702s might be getting harder and harder to get, so it might be good to put them high on your upgrade list.
    SONY VPL-VW385ES, Da-Lite 92" 0.9 HD progressive 16x9 screen, Apple TV 4K, Oppo UDP 203, Anthem AVM 60, D-Sonic 4000 (800x3, 400x4) for bed layer, 2 Crown XLS 1002 (225x4) for Atmos; Speakers: Polk LSiM 705s, 703 front, 4 702F/X surround, 4 Polk TL3 (Atmos), Velodyne DD15 Subwoofer.
  • shs
    Options
    I may have to amend my previous comment about the LSiM series being harder and harder to get. I thought that Polk was discontinuing the LSiM series and not too long ago they were being sold at closeout prices. I thought I remember them being discontinued on the Polk website, but they are there now, albeit without a price. What gives with the LSiM series? Discontinued or not?
    SONY VPL-VW385ES, Da-Lite 92" 0.9 HD progressive 16x9 screen, Apple TV 4K, Oppo UDP 203, Anthem AVM 60, D-Sonic 4000 (800x3, 400x4) for bed layer, 2 Crown XLS 1002 (225x4) for Atmos; Speakers: Polk LSiM 705s, 703 front, 4 702F/X surround, 4 Polk TL3 (Atmos), Velodyne DD15 Subwoofer.
  • Coralinus
    Options
    Discontinued is my understanding and why I got a good deal on the 705s and 704c. I agree, it may be tough to get ahold of matching bookshelves or surrounds if they are discontinued.
  • shs
    Options
    I thought they were discontinued, and for a while they were hard to find for sale, but after my post above, I checked around and they were available on Amazon, etc..

The 702s are really nice speakers with good bass and have the same tweeter and mid as the other LSiMs so are timbre matched. They are ideal for mounting on a wall either behind or in front of your main listening position, much better than a bookshelf speaker in that respect. If you do find them at a good price, I would go for it.
  • Coralinus
    Coralinus Posts: 28
    Options
    I ran the polk s15 for surrounds for a while until i had enough saved for the 703's. I definitely could hear the difference and it did bother me a little, enough to pull the trigger. But now with the matching 703's, the system sounds so great.
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Options
    Coralinus wrote: »
    I ran the polk s15 for surrounds for a while until i had enough saved for the 703's. I definitely could hear the difference and it did bother me a little, enough to pull the trigger. But now with the matching 703's, the system sounds so great.

Hmm wish I had the room for LSiM 703, S15 is about as big as I can fit for my surrounds. The blend is alright
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • Coralinus
    Coralinus Posts: 28
    Options
    mrloren wrote: »
    Coralinus wrote: »

Hmm wish I had the room for LSiM 703, S15 is about as big as I can fit for my surrounds. The blend is alright

The 703's are beefy for sure. I actually think they could out duel many full sized towers. I kind of think they are overkill as surrounds but I love the way they match the towers. I would recommend them without hesitation as fronts to those without space for towers.