Another restoration project...

Options
This was a fun one. Played around with the camera tonight, thought I’d share (hashtag bragpost). Pretty happy with how the winter project turned out. 😁

This cool rig came from an estate - the old fellow who built it (speakers and console) back in the early 60’s did a great job. I just cleaned it up, modified a few things and built a case for the HK TA-5000x receiver and a plinth for the Garrard Type A II. Both are veneered with mahogany and maple. The HK has all original tubes and sounds fan-frickin-tastic. I’m not much of a vinyl guy, but the Garrard came with a Pickering red cartridge and plays very well for 60 or so years old...

The speaker cabinets' grilles were nailed on but buzzed horribly. After removing them, I found unfinished plywood with the builder's handwritten notes about the components he was bringing together. I wanted a way to show off the drivers without erasing his fingerprints, so I built some melamine bezel trim plates, also veneered with mahogany and maple. Secured them with little magnets which worked out well. The original grilles are now also secured with magnets so if you’re a-hankerin' for a gander at the Jensen H222's you can. My sister in law has a Glowforge so I had her make up some little laser cut logo plates for the backs of the cabinets. Used a photo of the original pamphlets found inside of the cabinets to make up the logos. So dang cool. I want a Glowforge!

Not Polk, I know. But some here will appreciate the rig. It has been a great way to spend the winter evenings in the garage. Next up, some monitor 7’s and 10’s!

Original listing photo:
frhkvvdb5fun.jpeg

Dusty and unattended to for who knows how long...?
7m2cj4ptfw7z.jpeg
zm54lba46zak.jpeg

The HK powered up happily on the DBT, no hum, amazingly. Only found and repaired one cold solder joint that caused some intermittency. Now it powers up and works perfectly every time. I’m a wuss and don’t know if I want to tackle a re-cap. That'll be a project for the next owner.
1tsbcc5i7bon.jpeg

Cleaned and polished the faceplate:
h37rugdf842u.jpeg
xty76eqxvba9.jpeg

Disassembled the console, removed the top and the hinged compartment for the TT:
uyyk7r6as55u.jpeg

Built the plinth and case:
3f8logcce09r.jpeg
iyesr2wem3zr.jpeg
5vz42adyb0f8.jpeg

Rewired, refurbished and rebuilt the backs of the Jensens:

9zbwz1ie2fua.jpeg
j7el3c4fje81.jpeg
k1gvgpigrmx6.jpeg
dh7yx5q5croo.jpeg

Built the vanity bezels:
9agm5oxdjaon.jpeg
omrbtakf97bu.jpeg
x8umabu09pmf.jpeg

Built a new top for the console out of birch ply and veneered over everything with maple. Finally got it all put back together and looking somewhat presentable:

yci8cxglftod.jpeg
c7p0jyeb20ar.jpeg
w27b45yvyf5k.jpeg
sepfbf0huq9l.jpeg
ogq0b1cd8uv1.jpeg
3j642916mdbc.jpeg
ld8hmr8b2izu.jpeg
qdkep1ogm3zf.jpeg
g0xdnvb4tjid.jpeg
2rwmf76cyz6v.jpeg

Whew. Now to find it a new home! 👍🏻
Current Collection: Monitor 4a (Peerless), Monitor 5B (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7b (Peerless), RTA15TL (SL3000), SDA CRS+ (194’s), SDA SRS 2.3TL, R100's, R200’s, R300 🤩
Pairs that have passed through: Monitor 4b (Peerless), Monitor 5a (Peerless), Monitor 5b (SL1000), Monitor 5b (SL2000) (3x pair), Monitor 7b (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7c’s (194’s), Monitor 10a (Peerless), Monitor 10b (5x pair), RTA8, RTA8TL, RTA 11T, RTA12c (194's), SDA CRS, SDA 2 (2x pair), SDA 2a, SDA 2b, SDA 1b, SDA 1c, SDA SRS 2 (2x pair), SDA SRS 3.1TL (198’s) (2x pair)...and more to come, it’s a sickness.

Comments