Best Buy magnolia

Visited a Best Buy magnolia store, listen to the most expense “top of the line” speakers, 1400$ a speaker) they sucked in comparison to my 10a’s. 30 years later vintage monitors are still king :)

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,874
    Hmm...
    They should've had more expensive loudspeakers than that at a Magnolia.
  • mhardy6647
    I mean -- they sell McIntosh stuff at the Magnolias.

• Yeah I this one didn’t have a wide selection, but it still proves you gotta dip into the thousands to get a better speaker than 10s with peerless
  • mhardy6647
    We should probably agree to disagree on that point -- but the 10 is a nice old loudspeaker.

I (still) prefer the 7, personally -- but there's a pair of each here.

• pw91686
    pw91686 Posts: 8
    Visited a Best Buy magnolia store, listen to the most expense “top of the line” speakers, 1400$ a speaker) they sucked in comparison to my 10a’s. 30 years later vintage monitors are still king :)

which speakers did you listen to?...

have you ever heard the $100 pioneer andrew jones towers they used to sell at best buy?
    best budget tower speaker i've heard, and possible better than your old vintage polks.
    however, i'm sure nostalgia played no part in that.... haha
    Just a dude who loves audio.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,119
    edited April 2021
    pw91686 wrote: »

have you ever heard the $100 pioneer andrew jones towers they used to sell at best buy?
    best budget tower speaker i've heard, and possible better than your old vintage polks.

$100??? Pioneer site says $199 ea. and it gives a freq. response of 40 - 20kHz with no dB qualifier which usually means -6dB at the low end. My 7B's are 33 - 20.5kHz +/- 2dB. So that's just one way they don't hold a candle, without listening to them that is. Also, they say tweeter is at ear height. Well ~30" isn't ear height in my book. More like 42" would be about right.

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/ephox/StaticFiles/PUSA/Files/Home/Andrew SP-FS52 Single Sheet_new.pdf
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,664
    edited April 2021

The bookshelf model SP-BS22-LR were about $130.00 a pair, the tower was a lot more. I did a full blown mod on the bookie (documented here) and while a vast improvement and surprisingly good for their size would not be match for a speaker like the Monitor 10. The Pioneer tower in stock form would have the same deficiencies as the bookie making it difficult to fathom they would sound better than the 10 and I'm not exactly a fan of the 10.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,002
    F1nut wrote: »

The bookshelf model SP-BS22-LR were about $130.00 a pair, ...I did a full blown mod on the bookie...

I’m still enjoying those modded bookies, but I agree that it’s unlikely they are as good as a pair of Monitor 10.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,648
    edited April 2021
    Agreed. I also have a pair of the bs22 but would trade them for some monitor 10’s in a second. Any takers?
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • Lots of things might hinder what those particular speakers are capable of:
    Compromised speaker placement.
    Receiver settings.
    Lack of familiarity with the music being played.
    Incorrect speaker type/size for the room.
    Possible amplifier/speaker mismatch.
    To name a few..
  • mhardy6647
    ^^^ hmmmm.
    Attempted drive-by spam post, or just a failed quote? :#
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,420
    elizabeth10 reported spammer
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,636
    middd reported