Static from using the remote

Options
I've got a Rogue Audio Magnum 99. When the volume is turned all the way down and until you're at a decent listening level there's static coming from both speakers. Nothing crazy but noticeable. I can manually use the knob and it's dead quiet. I sprayed the pot out just for the giggles and nothing different.

It seriously doesn't bother me but just wondering....

Comments

• monepolk
    monepolk Posts: 1,140
    Options
    So you're selling static?? :)
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,206
    edited February 2021
    Options
    monepolk wrote: »
    So you're selling static?? :)

It seems that I've got it in spades. 🙂
    Also, if you know me I have a propensity to buy and sell a lot. I had a potential buyer and he's not liking it so I'm just trying to come up with something.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,430
    Options
    Is it only on Channel Z?
    I disabled signatures.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    I've seen a number of folks complain about volume control issues with Rogue gear. Have you reached out to Rogue?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,599
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Sounds like interference from the receiver circuitry of the remote control function is seeping into the signal path. I agree, see what Rogue has to say.
  • daboyz
    Options
    Sorry. Didn't mean to put it here in the fm. Yeah. I emailed Rogue last Friday. I haven't heard back from them.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    Options
    Does the static stop when the voices speak to you?
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • daboyz
    Options
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    Does the static stop when the voices speak to you?

Oddly, no. Them sons of beeches just keep on yapping. 😥

I'm wondering why @ALL212 hasn't chimed in yet...
  • ALL212
    ALL212 Posts: 1,556
    Options
    If there are tubes in there just take ‘em out. If there are no tubes put some in.

Problem solved!
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • phipiper10
    Options
    Email Rogue, Mark or Nick typically respond very quickly, a couple hours.
    Analog Source: Rega P3-24 Exact 2 w/GT delrin platter & Neo TT-PSU Digital Source: Lumin T2 w/Roon (NUC) DAC: Denafrips Pontus II Phono Preamp: Rega Aria MK3 Preamp: Rogue RP-7 Amp: Pass X150.8 Speakers: Joseph Audio Perspective 2, Audio Physic Tempo Plus Cables: Morrow M4 ICs & Audio Art SC-5 ePlus, Shunyata PCs Misc: Shunyata Hydra Delta D6, VTI rack, GIK acoustic panels
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,556
    Options
    ALL212 wrote: »
    If there are tubes in there just take ‘em out. If there are no tubes put some in.

Problem solved!

Godly advise I bow to you🙏
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,185
    Options
    From your description, it sounds like the motor for the volume is creating electrical noise. This is not uncommon. Just to be clear, the noise is only when the volume is changing by the remote? Or is it noise at all positions until it is louder? You said it is quiet if you manually turn the knob.

If this was not always like that from the factory, it could be a bad capacitor or ground connection on the motor control circuit. However, some designs just have that noise when the motorized volume is changing.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Agree with above, this shows up more in tube gear. When I built my first PC music server that was plugged into my DAC then too my tube preamp, I could here microphonics when I moved my wireless PC mouse when searching music.
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • daboyz
    Options
    Just by using the remote. I emailed Rogue a week ago and haven't heard back. Kind of a bummer because when I had an issue with a 66 I had prior they were on top of it rather quickly. 😕
  • daboyz
    Options
    ALL212 wrote: »

Problem solved!

I took the tubes out and stuck metal hangers in instead. Now the damn thing will only let me listen to country music.
  • engie490
    engie490 Posts: 426
    Options
    I have a Rogue 99 in my stockpile of preamps and mine has the same issue. I never asked Rogue about it though. In the Stereophile review measurements section, they do mention that the grounding is "suboptimal."

I've had more than a few preamps that use the ubiquitous Alps motorized volume pot and none of them has that issue. On the other hand, for the used price of a 99, it's not hard to overlook given the sonics when the volume control is not moving.
    Sonus Faber Liuto / Coda Continuum / Anthem STR Preamplifier / Oppo BDP-105D / Technics SP-15 w/SAEC WE-308SX & Ortofon AS-309 arms / Ikeda 9C2 & Dynavector XX2 Mk II carts