Is this capacitor original in peerless monitor 4?

Mystery
Mystery Posts: 2,546
edited February 2021 in Vintage Speakers
This is monitor 4 with peerless tweeter.
This version has Polkaudio logo on the grill, not on the cabinet like I had before.
I took the woofer out to apply epoxy and noticed blue capacitor.
I'm suspecting it is replacement/upgrade but not sure.
It's incomplete pair due to one woofer not working but that's separate issue.
One speaker is missing the black foam inside so I guess someone worked on it.

What say you? Also, can I fill the cabinet with white polyfill?

e02e5670s9qx.jpg

Klipsch RB81, KG3.5, B&W DM602.5, Polk.
Subwoofers: Klipsch RW10, Triad ProSub Bronze.

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    I don't know :(

But:
    1) nice original Monitor 4.
    2) nice to see you postin'!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Not an original cap.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• From another thread it looks like the original was the skinny black electrolytic with the red sealed ends that looks like a firecracker:

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/comment/2627965#Comment_2627965

v0wqzde3lnwj.png
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • Mystery
    edited February 2021
    I'll try to see what brand it is.
    Whoever replaced it, put the printed side underneath and covered with a bucket of hot glue. :confused:

• F1nut
    Clarity PX.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Mystery
    F1nut wrote: »
    Clarity PX.

Ok thanks.
    How about polyfill?
    How much to stuff inside?

• F1nut
    No idea, I've never been inside that model.

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    F1nut wrote: »
    No idea, I've never been inside that model.

If I may opine..... there's not much inside that model....😉
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    edited February 2021
    That crossover certainly is different. I don't remember any Monitors with only one cap and 2 inductors. It also might have a decent resistor and not the sand cast ones. On the plus side upgrading the caps should be simple with no circuit board.

Are you sure this model came with polyfill? Look closely inside the box for any trace of old baffling. If there was polyfill in there you will find a few threads.
  • I have two sets of monitor 4's with the peerless and a mw6500... crossovers are just like yours but with a different brand of capacitor. there was some eggcrate foam that was in both of mine that had deteriorated. I filled with polyfill behind the tweeter. these are great little speakers.
    M7's 1982 Peerless tweeters
    M5's X2 (1981 Peerless tweeters, 1988 with upgraded tweeters)
    M4's X2 both with Peerless tweeters
    M5Jr with SL1500 (in the garage, they sound great)
    M4.6 series2 X2 with upgraded tweeters
    SDA 2 with upgraded tweeters
  • Mystery
    delkal wrote: »
    That crossover certainly is different. I don't remember any Monitors with only one cap and 2 inductors. It also might have a decent resistor and not the sand cast ones. On the plus side upgrading the caps should be simple with no circuit board.

Are you sure this model came with polyfill? Look closely inside the box for any trace of old baffling. If there was polyfill in there you will find a few threads.

One speaker has that black thick and heavy foam completely stuffed with some white polyfill on the bottom.
    That black foam is not very soft like polyfill. It's more like rubber from exercise mat.
    It probably just reduces the internal volume completely.
    I'll take the terminal cup out to see better.

zxy2n9xqat1l.jpg

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,966
    That black foam is probably not original, the white stuffing is most likely what was there before
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • VR3 wrote: »
    That black foam is probably not original, the white stuffing is most likely what was there before

I believe that the black foam is original... It was in both of mine... And if I recall when I had my 1st set of 4s in the early eighties, it also had it.
    The foam was glued to the back.
  • stevep
    stevep Posts: 327
    Doesn't that black foam famously turn into black dust?
  • F1nut
    stevep wrote: »
    Doesn't that black foam famously turn into black dust?

Yep

President of Club Polk

• @wispolkboy: Interesting Image. Why?

v1bzkfi6s6zk.png
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • Just humerus... At least that is how I see it.
  • JayMX
    JayMX Posts: 434
    I just redid a pair of 4's with Peerless - had the grey eggcrate foam in the top and polyfill in the bottom. Crappy old black capacitors. They look pretty original to me... The black foam was crumbly. I was wondering what would be best to replace it with, but then I got lazy and stuffed it all back in there... Out of sight out of mind I suppose... I love these little guys. Always enjoy surprising folks with them. 🤘🏻
    Current Collection: Monitor 4a (Peerless), Monitor 5B (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7b (Peerless), RTA15TL (SL3000), SDA CRS+ (194’s), SDA SRS 2.3TL, R100's, R200’s, R300 🤩
    Pairs that have passed through: Monitor 4b (Peerless), Monitor 5a (Peerless), Monitor 5b (SL1000), Monitor 5b (SL2000) (3x pair), Monitor 7b (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7c’s (194’s), Monitor 10a (Peerless), Monitor 10b (5x pair), RTA8, RTA8TL, RTA 11T, RTA12c (194's), SDA CRS, SDA 2 (2x pair), SDA 2a, SDA 2b, SDA 1b, SDA 1c, SDA SRS 2 (2x pair), SDA SRS 3.1TL (198’s) (2x pair)...and more to come, it’s a sickness.