Thank You

ojeezdood
ojeezdood Posts: 3
edited January 2021 in Vintage Speakers
About three weeks ago I jumped at the chance to buy some late-model Monitor 10Bs (the black vinyl with beveled edges) for $25.
The wealth of knowledge on this forum has been invaluable to me. Thanks to all of you I was able to identify exactly which Monitor 10s I have and purchased the correct materials to refurbish them.
Loctite Power Grab to secure the magnets.
Armacell to replace the disintegrated seals.
The various capacitors and resistors to rebuild and upgrade the crossovers.
The RD0194-1 tweeters to replace the existing SL2000s (one blown one still ok).

This is by no means my first speaker project. Until my Monitor 10s are finished I am still listening to a pair of Kenwood KL999Z that were my most recent undertaking (which sound surprisingly good for what they are). But up until now all of my projects have been a bit of intuition, a dollop of guesswork, and a decent helping of luck. Thank you for sharing your passion and being a guiding light for lost beginners like me. I'm just some guy in his 20s thrilled to be on this little journey.
Post edited by ojeezdood on

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    FYI, the gaskets are supposed to be paper thin.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ojeezdood
    ojeezdood Posts: 3
    edited January 2021
    F1nut wrote: »

Yes I saw that mentioned and got the thinnest Armacell possible (1/4"). Whoever owned these speakers before me didn't treat them very well and did something (no idea what) that made the gaskets crumble to dust when I took out the woofers.

• F1nut
    ojeezdood wrote: »

Yes I saw that mentioned and got the thinnest Armacell possible (1/4"). Whoever owned these speakers before me didn't treat them very well and did something (no idea what) that made the gaskets crumble to dust when I took out the woofers.

Ah, they were likely the original gaskets made of Mortite that Polk used early on. Horrible stuff.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut wrote: »
    ojeezdood wrote: »

Ah, they were likely the original gaskets made of Mortite that Polk used early on. Horrible stuff.

They're from '89 (says so on the drivers) so I expected real gaskets. Likely the previous owner tried to replace them with something similar to Mortite for some ungodly reason.
  • F1nut
    Ok, too late for Polk applied Mortite.

President of Club Polk