Neil young has pulled most of his music from tidal

Neil young has pulled all his music from tidal, at least the ones he owns the masters of.
He said he has a problem with tidal calling his recordings masters, as they are not his masters. According to neil, tidal can call them tidal masters, but not just masters. Wonder how long it will take to straighten this out?

Comments

• warren
    warren Posts: 756
    tidal calling his recordings masters, as they are not his masters. According to neil.
    Semantics ?
    Some final words,
    "If you keep banging your head against the wall,
    you're going to have headaches."
    Warren
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,136
    They should just call his albums MQA instead of their hyped term of "Masters", in fact they should tell it like it is for all their collection. I wondered if Neil Young didn't like JayZee or what the heck was going on. He may be rubbed the wrong way by the fact that his Pono player and music service apparently went the way of the Dodo bird.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • 83gyi7xyjkl7.jpeg
    He left a few jems behind :D
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Likely because he wasn't making enough money off them. Besides, he's crackpot.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Neil Yuck. No sweat off my **** :D
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    https://neilyoungarchives.com/#/
    $1.99 a month gets you all the Neil you could ever want.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    Friggin' Canadians :p

My understanding is what George touched on, in that MQA is basically Tidal's version of the master, which is to say, they have altered things a bit. Apparently Neil does not approve of the 're-mix'.

"This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,066
    edited January 2021
    All of us are crackpots in our own ways. (revised thought)
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,271
    I don't really believe it's about the sound quality issue, otherwise he would have pulled his music a long time ago.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    invalid wrote: »
    I don't really believe it's about the sound quality issue, otherwise he would have pulled his music a long time ago.

Most never would have been recorded to begin with. I would rather listen to the vocal stylings of Tiny Tim...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Although I don’t listen to his music anymore, when he rocked he could really R&R. I spent many an hour enjoying those tunes.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,136
    edited January 2021
    I wouldn't doubt for a second that Neil Young is anti MQA, because he was one of the first proponents of high resolution digital music with his Pono Player and music service. He is probably more of a purist.

He does rock. Just take Cortez the Killer Live as an example of that. I've seen him twice. The last time was when he was getting out of his grunge thing and into a 50's rock style with Neil and the Shocking Pinks.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056

Most never would have been recorded to begin with. I would rather listen to the vocal stylings of Tiny Tim...

Ha I will take Cortez The Killer over Tip Toe Through The Tulips any day.

Neil Young Archives is well worth the $1.99 a month.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    gudnoyez wrote: »

Ha I will take Cortez The Killer over Tip Toe Through The Tulips any day.

Neil Young Archives is well worth the $1.99 a month.

Just get the 2 CD greatest hits album Decade. This should be more than enough for most people. It covers his early days with Buffalo Springfield till when he started "feuding" with his record company and putting out crap for another decade (or two).

How many times can you listen to a song from his Trans or rockabilly albums?
  • jdjohn
    Harvest is a well-recorded album...nice one to have on vinyl. No comment on his sentiments or message, though.
    Don't need him around anyhow...
    I've wondered John, are you originally from Alabama? Both sides of my family are from there, and those roots run pretty deep. I couldn't help but notice your avatar of the guys from Ft. Payne :)
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • nooshinjohn
    I was born and raised in Minnesota, but a huge fan of the country quartets. The Statler Brothers, Oak Ridge Boys, Alabama, and others are always in play on my system...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • jdjohn
    How about J.D. Sumner, the Stamps quartet, the Letterman, Mills Brothers? I have a treasure trove of those in my dad's collection. They are mostly gospel.
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,126
    Wonder how long it will take to straighten this out?
    Probably long enough to agree on a check signed to Neil that ends with 5 to 6 zeros.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • nooshinjohn
    Probably long enough to agree on a check signed to Neil that ends with 5 to 6 zeros.

agreed...

• jdjohn
    Oh, and the Cathedrals quartet.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124

agreed...

Not really...
    https://dittomusic.com/en/blog/how-much-do-music-streaming-services-pay-musicians/
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    jdjohn wrote: »
    How about J.D. Sumner, the Stamps quartet, the Letterman, Mills Brothers? I have a treasure trove of those in my dad's collection. They are mostly gospel.

If you don't have any of their output, you might want to add The Fairfield Four to your list. :)

https://youtu.be/b6RcVJJ7aKQ
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,126
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

agreed...

Not really...
    https://dittomusic.com/en/blog/how-much-do-music-streaming-services-pay-musicians/

Those are the standard rates for "normal" artist. This doesn't always apply in the same way for major artist who demand custom contracts. Beyonce, Taylor Swift, Metallica, and now Neil Young have all pulled their music from various platforms at times, only to come to an agreement to have their music put back on later. The deal with the most public figures that I can think of is Joe Rogan moving his podcast to being exclusively on Spotify. They paid Rogan upwards of $100 Million dollars for that deal, well above any existing price per stream standards.

If Tidal wants Neil back, they might have to tweak their "masters" wording. But I highly doubt that would be enough. They are going to need to bring out their lawyers and checkbooks too.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs