What are some good vintage speaker models and brands to look out for?

Hello everyone,,
Right now I'm debating on the possibility of acquiring vintage HiFi speakers to my current setup. Are there any good high quality models or brands that I should look out for? I have also heard that there are many phony vintage scam models that exist with in the good stuff, such van scam speakers, etc.

Comments

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    I'm glad you asked us.

Why would you come here to the POLK audio Forum and then ask for help choosing other brands instead of just classic Polk speakers that most here come for? some buy Polk speakers and then pop in and learn a lot. Polks and other brands pop up in discussions all the time but they usually are from established members.

You can stay right here and learn how fantastic classic Polk speakers STILL are. B)
    I can talk your ears off praising Polks. I also know about those white van speakers as do most here.

And if you see something for sale that you might want to buy near you, ask us, we'll be glad to help you.

There's just thousands of speakers in the "classic" category. You have to let us know what you listen to, how loud and the size of the room/s.

Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Hello everyone,,
    Right now I'm debating on the possibility of acquiring vintage HiFi speakers to my current setup. Are there any good high quality models or brands?

Welcome to Club Polk. I recommend Polk's. If size is not a limiting factor find a good pair of SDA's to restore.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Navy_Goat
    Navy_Goat Posts: 375
    I echo what others have posted here so far and have a few suggestions to help you get the most out of your experience here.

What equipment do you have right now?
    Will you be upgrading your equipment along with the speakers or are you just looking to add speakers?
    What are the dimensions of the room the speakers will go in to?
    Will you be using the speakers for HT or music only?
    What kind of music do you listen to most of the time?
    Also, your general location will help the group determine what your options are for the local second hand market. Should be good around a major city, not so much out in the middle of nowhere.

The group is super knowledgeable and will give you the best advice they can. Being very clear about your starting point and goals will increase the chances of success. Have fun with the journey and be open to suggestions and new ideas.

Certainly Polk Audio speakers and specifically SDAs will come up a lot in the forum, but depending on your answers to the questions above they may or may not be the right thing for you. One thing that is great about vintage audio is if you are patient and make smart purchases you will not take a huge financial hit if you decide to sell an item after purchase. The prices remain relatively constant over short periods of time. Less risk involved may allow you to try a few things before you find the perfect match for you.
    SDA SRS 2.3tl, SDA 1C, SDA 2B (TL mod), Reserve 200