New Purchase, Need Advice, Considering S55 or RTiA5, Need Surrounds

Options
Been reading through this forum for a bit now, and I need the collective brain to knife through the noise in mine. First, the noise:

My sig has my setup, but will add that this is for movies only. I have vintage speakers that I've been upgrading over time, and understand warm vs bright sounding setups. My Onkyo AVR I use for music is rather sparkly, but the Daytona's I have on calm it down a bit. With the EQ, I balance it all out even more. My EMF's are warm, as is my Sony AVR, so I'm looking for a bit more high-punch there. Normally I listen to the speakers first, but I do not have any local place that demos Polk.

Last year I remodeled my theater (room is 13'Wx26'Lx8'H) and installed two 70-RT's in the ceiling for Atmos, which pair very nicely with my center. My intent was to go with RTiA3's for the rear channels and the A5's for front L/R to match everything, but over the last few months, the RTi line is hard to find. The A5's I can still get in black, but A3's are long gone for reasonable prices. I can however find A1's for surrounds. I was intending to get the surrounds first (replacing the weakest-sounding of my set currently) and then either the fronts or my sub. So, I'm presented with the following choices:
  • Write-off the RTi line, find that the Signature line will pair well (sonically, not visually) with my center and ceilings, and buy an S15 or S20 for surrounds and continue with my upgrade timeline.
  • Purchase the A5's while they're still available (at a considerable price break over an S55 mind you) and revel in the nice aesthetic match once re-stain my cherry center to black. (sigh...)

I recognize the general feeling that the A5's are brighter than the Sigs, but this set will not be doing music, only movies. As stated earlier, I want more punch at the high-end for movies, but I know that both the Sigs and RTi's will do that. The surrounds though:

If I stay with the RTi line, I'll need to buy both quickly, and "settle" for the A1's or go on a patient hunt for A3's. If I see that the Sigs are just the better way to go, then I swallow that my center will simply not match visually, and figure out whether to get the S15 or S20.

So, to the collective: Are the A1 surrounds up to the task, which I take to be at the audio-level of the S15 relatively speaking, or do I bail on that and go for the S20 for my surrounds? The answers to this will focus on one of the choices above and give me my roadmap.

Thanks to all.
Honey, I never drive faster than I can see, and besides... it's all in the reflexes.
-Jack Burton

Movies:
Sony STR-DN1080 (5.1.2), Polk CSiA4, EMF 150, Polk 70-RT, Sony SS-MF315, CerwinVega LW-15
Music:
Onkyo TX-SR600 (in 2ch), Behringer FBQ800, ESS Daytona 1003 (RF S1-810 woofers)

Comments

• JayDog
    JayDog Posts: 266
    edited January 2021
    Options
    I would go with the A5s and A1s for HT, I think the RTI is a nicer looking and its made with better quality materials vs sig speakers. I would also say since your 100% HT its is a better voiced speaker for HT for clarity and sparkle on top.

I wouldn't wait much longer, if you get the A5s cheap enough, I would consider going all A5s around, but the A1s will work just fine, they are both 5 inch drivers and they will match nicely together. A1 can get loud and stay composed for surrounds just fine as long as you have a good amp feeding it.

Either way the RTI line will sell out sometime soon and once they are gone, there gone like the A3s. The price will go up or back to normal fast, once Crutchfield and the other retailers are out of surplus stock, They will be back valued at what they should be and several of us have paid for them 5yrs ago.

This is your first post ? You need to make a introduction post before you start posting in here. Good Luck!
  • sojourner
    Options
    Apologies if I missed something about what a first post should be... I don't have issues with introducing myself, I just didn't see anything about it. Is there a place it should be posted? (I don't see a clear "introduction" location either tbh) Thanks for any clarity you can give on that.

I do appreciate what you suggest, and agree that if I go with the A5's, I have to move pretty soon. Just wanted you folks in here to agree or not with that direction. BTW, the A5's have 6.5" drivers, while the A1's (and my A4 center) have the 5.25". It's my big hesitation on the A1, as the S20 has that bigger main as well. (It's why I wanted the A3 originally)

Thanks!
    Honey, I never drive faster than I can see, and besides... it's all in the reflexes.
    -Jack Burton

Movies:
    Sony STR-DN1080 (5.1.2), Polk CSiA4, EMF 150, Polk 70-RT, Sony SS-MF315, CerwinVega LW-15
    Music:
    Onkyo TX-SR600 (in 2ch), Behringer FBQ800, ESS Daytona 1003 (RF S1-810 woofers)
  • JayDog
    JayDog Posts: 266
    edited January 2021
    Options
    sojourner wrote: »
    Apologies if I missed something about what a first post should be... I don't have issues with introducing myself, I just didn't see anything about it. Is there a place it should be posted? (I don't see a clear "introduction" location either tbh) Thanks for any clarity you can give on that.

I do appreciate what you suggest, and agree that if I go with the A5's, I have to move pretty soon. Just wanted you folks in here to agree or not with that direction. BTW, the A5's have 6.5" drivers, while the A1's (and my A4 center) have the 5.25". It's my big hesitation on the A1, as the S20 has that bigger main as well. (It's why I wanted the A3 originally)

Thanks!

Your right.. my bad this board introduction is gone, WOW I must be getting this place and AV board mixed up.

I still think the RTI is a better speaker for HT and your going to have trouble finding the sig series on sale anywhere with Covid having all in home activities sales at a all time high. I just sold my center s35 used for $200, it is selling new for $299 all over and the s20s are going to be hard to find any deals on also.

I would grab all A5s towers for the sale price of couple hundred each, that is allot of speaker for less cash then you will find the s20s with mounts or stands costs added in also, especially right now with covid19 supplies are all sold out.

The difference between the A1 and the A3 is small and even more minuscule when your using them for surround duty.

Good Luck!
    Post edited by JayDog on
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,206
    Options
    A5's. No brainer. Get an amp if your avr has preouts and enjoy. Simple! 🙂