What are Larry’s rings?

djreef
djreef Posts: 71
edited January 2021 in Vintage Speakers
I’ve seen them mentioned a few times in posts but have no idea what they do. All the links to more info have been taken down (404’d). I picked up a pair of 1.2 TLs that need a little tlc, so I’m exploring different avenues. Thanx ahead.
= 8-->{I>

Comments

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    edited January 2021
    They're a more secure way to hold the drivers against the baffle. Unfortunately they are no longer being made so you'll have to look into something else like hurricane nuts I believe they're called.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Mystery
    Mystery Posts: 2,546
    edited January 2021
    djreef wrote: »
    I’ve seen them mentioned a few times in posts but have no idea what they do. All the links to more info have been taken down (404’d). I picked up a pair of 1.2 TLs that need a little tlc, so I’m exploring different avenues. Thanx ahead.
    Larry's ring ;)
    il_570xN.2507207159_cf1y.jpg

Seriously though, a simple search brings many threads to read through.
    This one should explain everything you need.
    https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/comment/2186767/#Comment_2186767

eykvig3vsh3i.jpeg

Klipsch RB81, KG3.5, B&W DM602.5, Polk.
    Subwoofers: Klipsch RW10, Triad ProSub Bronze.
  • djreef
    Thanx! That’s what I thought they were.

All my searches and the links embedded in the searches that did produce something were dead ends.

DJ
    = 8-->{I>
  • djreef
    edited January 2021
    Nightfall wrote: »
    They're a more secure way to hold the drivers against the baffle. Unfortunately they are no longer being made so you'll have to look into something else like hurricane nuts I believe they're called.

How would hurricane nuts be secured without destroying the driver inset? I guess they’d have to be pretty small.

DJ

= 8-->{I>
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    edited January 2021
    With both the rings and hurricane nuts the holes in the cabinet have to be made larger to fit the inserts. It's a one way trip! Both methods also insert from the inside of the cabinet and then the drivers are bolted in place. As long as the hurricane nuts are not deeper than the depth of the wood there would be no problem fitting them other than tightening a bolt too much and deforming the driver basket.

Check Partsexpress for different hurricane nut sizes.

Polk used small inserts (not hurricane nuts) and bolts in their big speakers originally but when they switched to more mdf construction they just directly screwed drivers into the cabinets. The drivers would come loose over time and leak air and eventually after being retightened would strip the screw holes out.
  • djreef
    Ya, oddly enough only 2 holes are stripped out of all of them. Thanx.
    = 8-->{I>
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    When installing hurricane nuts use a matching cap screw with a washer to slowly draw the nut in. Do not over torque when installing. Many apply a dab of 5 minute epoxy around the barrel of the nut as each one is installed being careful to not get any into the threads.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk