Nice Triode TRV CD4SE vacuum tube CD player w remote Sold.

geppy1
geppy1 Posts: 3,071
edited January 2021 in For Sale (FS) Classifieds
I am selling my Triode TRV CD4SE CD player. This unit has a vacuum output stage. This player is built like a tank and in great shape and looks very cool to boot. Includes the heavy metal remote . Even has a mute control and can also shut off the display Details on the design below. The player does not have lot of hours on it and operates smoothly as it should with one NOTE. While the laser is strong as it tracks some of my really scratched discs others will not it has a quirk. If it sits for a while of sometimes on start up the laser will skip for a few seconds. If one pushes a different track or hits stop and starts over .It straightens out pretty quickly and performs as it should from there forward with no issues. . Usually in under 30 seconds. Odd. The sound is slightly warm and natural. with very good detail but not clinical. Went for over $2200 new and not that long ago. I am asking $549 which is a steal Thanks

In the player we have metal buttons and a blue display hidden behind a mirror window. It is not big but quite bright. Next to the display there is a bright blue LED that is lit when play is pressed. According to the user manual the LED indicates upsampling – the device changes the 16/44.1 words to 24/192 before entering the converter. The display can be dimmed in two steps, but it cannot be turned off. We have also quite a lot happening on the back panel. We have digital outputs, RCA and TOSLINK, and two analog outputs – unbalanced RCA and balanced XLR. There is also an IEC mains socket. The device is places on nice aluminum and rubber feet, the same feet we can find in CEC devices. Inside the player looks equally nice.

First the drive. This is a Sony unit with the KSS-213 pickup, exactly the same model that was used on the Ayon CD-1 player, albeit without the tray elements. The drive is screwed tight to a very rigid and heavy plate, where, in a cut-out the servo PCB is placed. The main microcontroller is placed on the separate, main PCB to the side. This PCB covers the half of the insides. The signal from the drive goes to the large Philips SAA7824 IC, that decodes the data stream and acts like a digital servo. Later the signal goes to the D/A converter Burr-Brown PCM1792. This is a delta/sigma 24/192 converter with integrated upsampler, active in this configuration. Behind the converter we have a nice analog section, almost fully balanced. In the I/U conversion and in filters popular NE5532 chips were used, and in the amplifying section the LME49710. All ICs are placed on sockets. I mentioned that until now, all the circuitry is balanced. So I do not really understand, why the output buffer is made using only one single tube (the double triode 6922EH Electro Harmonix) meaning that it is unbalanced. The tube circuit is based on very good passive elements, eg. very nice capacitors Mundorf RealCap, and the output is coupled by very large WIMA capacitors shunted with the same Mudorfs.
I concentrated on the audio circuits while ¾ of the interior is filled with power supply circuitry. Just behind the IEC socket there is a significantly sized PI filter, followed by a medium sized toroidal transformer. It has many secondary windings. The left and right channel in the solid state section are powered separately, there is a separate power supply for the anode voltage and heating. Also the drive has a separate power supply – at least it seems so. It looks very solid, the constructors remembered about shunting the rectifying diodes with capacitors in the power supplies. The top cover is very thick, what reinforces the chassis additionally. The metal remote is not very comfortable but it is solid.
TRV-CD4SE
Description CD player with upsampling 24/192
Output voltage 2,2 V
THD 0.002 %
Signal noise ratio 100dB
Frequency response 20Hz-20kHz (ą 0.5dB)
Channel separation 90dB
Dynamics 100dB
D/A converter Burr-Brown PCM1792
Output tube 6DJ8 (6922)
Sony drive
Outputs unbalanced RCA + balanced XLR
Digital outputs S/PDIF – RCA and TOSLINK
Power consumption 20W
Dimensions (W/D/H) 340 x 330 x 100mm
Weight 8kg

6ab4hdbfudaq.jpg
a4oyn79uqgk5.jpg
zfa2y7vlqsqr.jpg
t66liz2e11be.jpg
Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Comments

• scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    edited January 2021
    Oh man... that would sure look nice on the third shelf down (pardon the dust). I’m gonna have to really think on this one...

c1sydkw6vi5r.jpeg

• tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,162
    If I played insted of ripped CD's this one would do the trick. She's a beauty brother. GLWS and hope it stays in the Polk Hood!
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    scubalab wrote: »
    Oh man... that would sure look nice on the third shelf down (pardon the dust). I’m gonna have to really think on this one...

c1sydkw6vi5r.jpeg

Get it so you have a matching transport...
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,521
    That is a gorgeous piece! GLWTS.
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    is that a scratch on top in the last picture?
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    Probably just an animal hair.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    Thanks for the guts photos!