Monitor 10 questions

lms
lms Posts: 26
is behind the the woofers/PR, and then it's on the bottom of the cabinet as well. I'm attaching blackhole right behind the drivers, will roll up the fill and staple it right behind the drivers also. Now, does any material go on the bottom of the cabinet? Thx.
I'm gluing the drivers, any other info would be great. Also, based on the pics can one tell what model I have, B'shjpzgn1av2zl.jpg
bg3vufgs1frq.jpg
qmjkae9ebywu.jpg
?

Comments

• DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    edited January 2021
    No polyfill behind the passive or bottom. Yes those are 10B. SL2000 tweeters = 10B.
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    In the OP's speakers there is a lot of polyfill in there. How tight can you pack it behind the drivers or do you need some clearance?
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,330
    There is a lot of polyfill in those speakers. The amount of polyfill was selected on purpose. Adding Blackhole may actually be detrimental. I was playing with adding Sonicbarrier to Monitor 5B and also a pair of S8 and ended up removing it. The bass lost something adding more absorptive material so I removed it.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • skrol wrote: »
    There is a lot of polyfill in those speakers. The amount of polyfill was selected on purpose. Adding Blackhole may actually be detrimental. I was playing with adding Sonicbarrier to Monitor 5B and also a pair of S8 and ended up removing it. The bass lost something adding more absorptive material so I removed it.

Agreed. Some fill is good, but too much, effectively reduces the size of the box.
    It looks quite full to begin with in those original pictures.

• DaveHo wrote: »
    No polyfill behind the passive or bottom. Yes those are 10B. SL2000 tweeters = 10B.

Right! I think the idea is to absorb some of the backwave of the midwoofers, but not to reduce the box in size too much at the same time.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    Hansvelton wrote: »
    DaveHo wrote: »

Right! I think the idea is to absorb some of the backwave of the midwoofers, but not to reduce the box in size too much at the same time.

Polyfil makes the box appear larger. I've seen boxes stuffed so tight with that stuff that the drivers could barely get in. These were not Polk speakers by the way they happen to be Boston acoustic speakers from the factory stuff to the gills. it's the way Boston acoustics was able to take their very thin very tall boxes and make them drive like a much larger speaker with a much larger box.

that being said yes you can get too much in there it has to do with heat the drivers will overheat because the voice coil has no way to dissipate the heat. Since many of the Polk drivers use a very thin open mesh dust cap I don't know if that would be a problem or not. It may very well be a problem with those that use a heavy felt dust cap that air does not permeate through easily.

@Jstas explained it very well once. Knowledge he obtained through the car audio competition circuit
  • lms
    lms Posts: 26
    Holy heck, I guess I should have proof read my questions, half of it got deleted somehow. So, the fill behind the tweeter is rolled up like a log. I did the same for behind the drivers and put the blackhole behind it as well. I had a leak in one of the speakers because of glue that was on one of the edge where the driver seats (shoddy Polk work I guess). They are both back together now, no leaks from what I can tell now. I guess I'll fire them back up and test. I did this config because of what I read in other posts about the 10's.