Harmony Elite Discontinued?

Seeing the major retailers are listing this as discontinued. Is it still worth getting one? I've been hesitant on picking one up but now Crutchfield, Adorama and B&H all show it as discontinued. Wondering if Logitech will continue to support it? I only managed to get some chatter around December that the Harmony line is being killed off.

Comments

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    I've seen the rumors. Looks like Best Buy still has the Harmony Elite with the Hub but doesn't have the 950 model. Could just be the holiday season and manufacturing disruptions caused by Covid. I'd wait for a few months to see how things shake out, especially with the Hub, in case support is dropped.

For a simple and inexpensive option the SofaBaton is worth a look. It has nowhere near the device support of Logitech. Also no guarantees that company will be around long.
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,893
    If you want an Elite, I’m not sure it would matter if it were discontinued.

It’s still available on Logitech’s own website. Not seeing any obvious chatter on avsforum about Harmony being discontinued.

Once it’s set up, with the hub, you don’t really have to do anything to “maintain” it. Firmware updates are rarely, if ever, critical after so many years of these products being fine tuned. Even my very first one never required any interventions. I would end up updating them randomly, more or less by accident. I think my last update was three years ago, probably after getting a new TV.
    Alea jacta est!
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    edited January 2021
    I have bought many harmonys over the years, all either used or refurbished, and basically never have a problem. I have four right now (ones a spare), and never any problems with any...

I also use Logitech squeezebox touches all over the house, and 10+ years after manufacturing they are still in daily or weekly use without issue fwiw...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Emlyn
    I still use the Squeezebox Touch players every day too. Their control app stopped working on iPad a few years ago but I understand there are third party options still being maintained. No problems at all streaming directly via WiFi from my Synology NAS.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Emlyn wrote: »
    I still use the Squeezebox Touch players every day too. Their control app stopped working on iPad a few years ago but I understand there are third party options still being maintained. No problems at all streaming directly via WiFi from my Synology NAS.

Third party options for remote plus Roon which is what I use and love! Point being, Logitech makes good tech that lasts!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,893
    Emlyn wrote: »
    I still use the Squeezebox Touch players every day too. Their control app stopped working on iPad a few years ago but I understand there are third party options still being maintained...

How old is your iPad? Some apps might lose compatibility with older iPads that cannot update to the newer firmware versions, especially iPads stuck on iOS 9.3.5 (over five years old). Most of those iPads would be about eight years old (from launch date).
    Alea jacta est!
  • The Harmony is great. I have owned a couple models, have the Elite/950 now. My only complaint is battery life. If they released an updated version with better features, I would absolutely pick it up when I had some extra money to spend on such a thing... if that tells you anything. Hopefully the product line is not discontinued.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    I have two harmony ones and will keep buying them as needed. My kids and wife love them and their simplicity (which is based on hours of my time programming/customizing them).

And I have no concerns about them being discontinued
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Emlyn
    edited January 2021
    Amazon is now expecting the Harmony Elite with Hub to be back in stock in mid February. Supply chain disruptions no doubt. Or it could just be that more were sold during the holiday season than expected because people are spending more time at home these days.

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Harmony-Elite-Remote-Control/dp/B014PDFP9S/ref=pd_lutyp_ci_mcx_mr_typ_d_2_1/146-6201406-1566227?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B014PDFP9S&pd_rd_r=a463e312-b473-4ad8-806b-ac8df8946b5b&pd_rd_w=mn2W3&pd_rd_wg=cJtZ9&pf_rd_p=f1126f2a-a59f-4fc7-9249-5717c5e2e000&pf_rd_r=BP0CCT5SGJAF41GZ165D&psc=1&refRID=BP0CCT5SGJAF41GZ165D

I also heard the other day there's a pepperoni shortage because people are buying so many pizzas. And the price of cheese is up too. :)
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    The keys keep going bad on my Harmony remotes. Usually the most frequently used ones like the volume.

If you can get the rubber pad up and get to the contacts sometimes cleaning with 91% alcohol will do the trick. It's amazing actually how much dirt and crud can actually get underneath those pads.

• pawelmwo
    pawelmwo Posts: 137
    False alarm I guess. Waited and now the $299 discount is gone. You snooze you lose :)