Good vinyl pressing of Steely Dan's album, "Aja"

Lots of choices out there for Aja in vinyl form - probably one of the most 'produced' albums ever done. I've tried a couple different pressings in good condition, but I've always thought there must be a better version out there.

Anyone have a solid recommendation?
"This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
"Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    edited December 2020
    Neolith that I am -- I still like the original MoFi half-speed mastered morph of Aja (SR/2 -- Stan Riker, EQd on the fly, by his ear). :|

The original ABC I have (purchased new way back when) still sounds pretty good to me.

Oh, short answer to your actual question:
    jdjohn wrote: »
    Anyone have a solid recommendation?
    No, at least I don't. Sorry. :/

• tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    I would look for the Mofi.

qgsnkimilpcr.jpeg
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    Whoa -- sounds like a mandate! ;)
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    The Cisco is the best as the man in the video says.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,961
    While I would love to have the Cisco, for about the $20 that I spent on the crossed out B in the deadwax sounds pretty good to me.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    Same here, happy with the crossed out AB.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    Very informative, thanks all. Turns out my current version is none of the above. Mine is apparently the RCA Record Club pressing. The album cover has AA-1006, the vinyl label has AB-1006, and the dead wax has R-123475.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Prolly worth a mint Jody :D
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    I have the Mofi and the Cisco versions. Get the Cisco version.
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • jdjohn
    Do they take Amazon gift cards?
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    edited January 2021
    The “Cisco” version - that’s a label or brand name like MoFi or Nautilus*?
    *Allman Brothers Band “Live at the Fillmore” to name one (shhh sounds awesome!)
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    Interesting topic/video.

When I went to buy my turntable locally, the guy didn't want to let me leave until I bought his records, too. Wasn't sure I wanted 7 crates of random vinyl, so I made an offer I thought he'd refuse. Much to my wife's chagrin, he accepted. I believe there were 3 copies of Aja in there--Just checked two I found easily and the first was AA-1006, but the second was AAb-1006. Just popped that one on and it's very nice!
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • jdjohn
    gp4jesus wrote: »
    Correct
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    jdjohn wrote: »
    gp4jesus wrote: »
    Correct
    How does one search for “Cisco” w/out getting a thousand links to network stuff?

Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work