Oppo 105D Headphone Amp wow not Bad.

gudnoyez
gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
edited December 2020 in Headphones
After reading about people using the Headphone Amp that the 105D offers with the Sabre 32 Dac and how it performs well with the likes of Sennheiser HD 600's and HD 650's I said to myself hey I got one and never even tried the Headphone Amp in it sure glad I tried it out.

I immediately grabbed one of my favorite SACD's Muswell Hillbillies by the Kinks and put it to the test, and I'm glad to say I'm impressed it drove all my Sennheisers with ease and sounded very good doing so. I bought the 105D for the HT and because it has analog outs didnt even think about its headphone amplifier glad I did and now it's kind of like a new toy to listen to tunes with. How many of you Oppo105 or 105D owners use the headphone amp in it, and find it does a good job?
Home Theater
Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)

Comments

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    Nice. I've always loosely wanted to pick up a 105D, but never quite got around to it since I don't spin discs. I always read the DAC was pretty good.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    edited December 2020
    Interesting. I have one but have not used the headphone amp in it. The 105D will stream a range of audio file types as well as MKV files at Blu Ray resolution from a NAS all by itself and will also play music and video from a USB stick or drive. Not sure if this one does DSD file playback via USB. That may have come in with the 203/205 DAC chip.

I also have the Senn 600 and 650 headphones, although I'm not normally a headphone listener.

Just listened to some streamed Rush (Moving Pictures-The Camera Eye) in 96/24 high res FLAC. Nice clean sound. A little constrained in maximum volume with the Senn 600, but actually just where I like it at its 100 setting.
    Post edited by Emlyn on
  • gudnoyez
    Didnt know about its streaming capabilities from a NAS either. I should dig out the Manual and actually learn about all its capabilities. I did listen to some Tidal via optical using Chromecast Audio and was impressed I to am comfortable with its 100 setting all I know it's close enough so I can relax in the HT recliner chair and listen to headphones in comfort. Thanks for sharing.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Not that I have any headphones but I wonder what the 205 is like? I do have a 205. I know I can plug a thumb drive full of tunes in it. That is about as far as I got into the machine.
  • gudnoyez
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Not that I have any headphones but I wonder what the 205 is like? I do have a 205. I know I can plug a thumb drive full of tunes in it. That is about as far as I got into the machine.

UPD-205 also has a headphone amplifier that is significantly improved over the previous UDP-105. Increased power and the ability for the headphone amp going directly to the ESS DAC resulted in a major step forward in sound quality.Sep 11, 2017

Time to get you a set of cans and find out.
    Home Theater

2 Channel

Stuff for the Head