Psw10 subwoofer hookup

Hello,

I have a 2.0 receiver that has A & B speaker zones. Would I be able to wire the zone B speaker wires to the subwoofer in and then use the speaker out on the subwoofer to power my second set of speakers?

Answers

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,309
    Are you trying to run both sets of speakers at the same time as well as this sub?
    Which model receiver is this?

Is it speaker zones, or just speaker sets A and B?
    I disabled signatures.
  • stevep
    stevep Posts: 327
    edited November 2020
    iwarren41 wrote: »
    Would I be able to wire the zone B speaker wires to the subwoofer in and then use the speaker out on the subwoofer to power my second set of speakers?

No, the power to drive the R & L speakers comes from your receiver so the same rules apply as if there wasn't a sub connected. On most stereo receivers that means A and B are connected in parallel when both are selected.

It's not clear from the manual if the speaker outputs are tied directly to the speaker inputs or connected after the crossover so that what you feed to the Sub is cut from what goes to the speakers.
  • msg
    I think that's the idea with speaker in/out on some subs - so that one can use the onboard crossover with speaker-level inputs, passing filtered signal onward to the speakers.
    I disabled signatures.
  • stevep
    edited November 2020
    Right, but it's not clear from what I read in the Polk Manual which way it is.

On several other Polk subs they are just tied together. If the PSW10 uses the RF1066-2 Amp that searching suggests, then they are wired together.
  • msg
    For full pass-through? Interesting.
    I disabled signatures.
  • stevep
    vmzctpkmc84i.jpg

See the small circuit board connecting the speaker level terminals?
  • I am trying to run both sets of speakers (zones a/b simultaneously) and the subwoofer at the same time. I have the Polk PSW10 model. Hoping to have zone A connected to one set of speakers, then connect zone B from the receiver to subwoofer in, and then connect speaker out on the subwoofer to the second pair of speakers.
  • msg
    I think it'll work, but post up which receiver you have.
    I think "Zone" is more for AVRs. You have a stereo receiver, so these would be Speaker pairs, not zones.

I think Set B will get only the high-pass signal coming out of the sub, though.

Steve's right - the manual doesn't say specifically whether the crossover acts on the incoming high-level speaker signal.
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    stevep wrote: »
    See the small circuit board connecting the speaker level terminals?
    5g4e45ymarvl.png
    Yeah, but I have no idea what that's doing :D

I disabled signatures.
  • stevep
    It's just four wires connecting the speaker in and out to the electronics.

go7jo0u3ydfn.jpg

If the crossover was to have any impact on the speaker out they wouldn't be connected like this.
  • The receiver is an Insignia NS-STR 514. Thank you for the help. Much appreciated.
  • stevep
    In case we haven't answered your question yet.

Assuming the receiver works fine with both your sets of speakers now, the Subwoofer connected to either of the speaker outputs isn't going to change that. So attach it to which ever output makes the most sense from a wiring perspective.
  • msg
    edited November 2020
    Okay, thanks for sharing the model, just wanted to confirm there wasn't anything unusual in the setup. I think you could give it a shot as you've stated, but feel free to wait around for more members to chime in as well. Not sure how well everything will blend, but play around with it. You might get it to your liking.

Which speakers are you using? Area all 4 the same, or two different pair?
    I disabled signatures.