Parasound A21+

Options
13»

Comments

• gyosa
    gyosa Posts: 699
    Options
    I have a PS Audio S300 and I am happy with it .... 130 or so watts into 8 ohms driving my Salks .

I think the downside to class D is that there is NO headroom for short bursts - the rated power is all you get. So if considering class D , you better get one with WAY more power than you would with class A/B.....

Bk
    Dayens Ampino , Yamaha wxc-50 , Polk SDA 1c’s ( my first love .. ) , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Eversolo DMP-A6 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

Parasound A21, Eversolo DMP-A8 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Salk Supercharged Song towers ( difficult choice between these and my family if I had to choose ... 😩 ) , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN RIG

PS Audio S300 - sitting in the closet for now …

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,871
    Options
    I find it funny that when class D first started to gain ground, there was the promise that all the high prices of amps would come down because of the efficiency and not having the need for expensive heavy cases.
    Instead the manufacturers have went for the money grab and now class D amps are just as or more expensive than the old heavy weights.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,369
    Options
    I suspect part of the problem of cost for Class D amplification is that the numbers sold from the well known "High End" brands are still low so there's not a good economy of scale even though the core parts that go into them come from only a few manufacturers. Another thing would be that consumers still want rack width case work which is more expensive than it needs to be since the innards of a Class D amp are much smaller than for a Class A/AB or Tube amp. There is also some fancy engineering that has taken place over the last 20 years or so to get around the "on-off" harsh sound quality of a Class D amplification unit.

I'll stick to Class A/AB for the most part for stereo listening, with a tube amp thrown into the mix occasionally. It's nice to have options. Class D works great for home theater systems with 11.4.4 channels or whatever. Decent enough sound without massive electricity demands and heat buildup. :)
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Options
    Been quite busy and have not had time to prep for listening. Just catching it when able.
    This means warming up the gear is not an option. I don’t know the specifics, but these amps have an “instant warm up” feature and I have been testing that (not intentionally) here. The amp still has the sonic characteristics of a fully warmed up system, just not as smooth at reference levels (95db+). Once warmed up though, it’s pure perfection. But not bad considering sometimes I just want to listen to one or two songs here and there as time allows.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,369
    Options
    The amp may not need to warm up much because of its auto bias instant warm up feature to sound perfect, but the rest of the components in the system still might. :)

My two channel system usually sounds better after a half hour being on. I wouldn't know if the warm up bias feature on Parasound amps produces "perfect" sound at startup or not.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,599
    Options
    The Vega G1 also keeps the analog output stage powered up even while the unit is in sleep mode, so that means it's ready to go as well upon waking from sleep. And I believe Joe leaves his P6 preamp on 24/7 but I could be wrong about that.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Options
    The pre turns off but the G1 as you said is in standby.