The ultimate DOS

Options
c'mon -- you knew DOS was analog at heart, didn't you?
Or maybe it was CP/M. ;)

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2020/11/23/running-dos-off-a-vinyl-record-is-wildly-impractical-but-deeply-hip/

9cu1alre8s95.png

https://youtu.be/bqz65_YfcJg

There are certain forms of insanity that I can appreciate. :#

Comments

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,461
    Options
    Reminds me of the days loading programs off of cassette.
    I disabled signatures.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,046
    Options
    Yes indeedily-do -- but much hipper.

Now, maybe we can get @KennethSwauger to implement, maybe, a nice Linux distro with a GUI on 15 ips, half-track reel tape...

B)
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Options
    msg wrote: »

Used to have a Commodore 64 growing up. That’s how we loaded our games. Press play on the cassette and wait..................and wait.........
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    Options
    C64 had some sweet games.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,271
    edited November 2020
    Options
    And Sprites !
    Make your own Sprites and have some fun 😊

When I started work at my last job our Building Automation System was run on an IBM 7 system.
    If we experienced a power outtage or blip we'd lose the operating system and have to restore it with a backup that was on a single cassette.
    Sal Palooza
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    joecoulson wrote: »

Used to have a Commodore 64 growing up. That’s how we loaded our games. Press play on the cassette and wait..................and wait.........

and wait..................and wait.........All for a little green or yellow stick man :D:D:D

2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,046
    Options
    I've been thinkin' about this -- I wonder if one could go with a dual boot platform by cuttin' the disk in stereo...?

And, imagine goin' whole hog with a Shibata stylus, JVC SuperVinyl, and CD-4 discrete quad?!?

Maybe the O/S and "Office" on one 12-incher...

B)
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,461
    Options
    This is fun thread, but you know, this might actually be close to possible with an ADC :p
    I disabled signatures.
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,048
    Options
    C'mon Mark.
    You *know* records are used for O/S2 Warp
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Options
    @Nightfall Yeah. I liked Sid Meier games like Red Storm Rising and Pirates. But there were tons of games and we used to have game swaps with pirated copies being shared.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,704
    Options
    Truly neat-o. Someone was possibly trying to keep Gates from stealing software back in the day.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,972
    Options

Reminds me of the days we loaded programs with shoe boxes full of punch cards. If even one got out pf place you were temporarily screwed.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • mrbigbluelight
    Options
    Chain printers ....were....AWESOME !
    Sal Palooza