Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo Review and Impressions

2»

Comments

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Are these speakers on the 2nd floor? If so, take your shoes off and stand in front of speaker (within 18") and see how much bass energy you can feel through the floor into your feet.

I have heard and felt huge differences of speakers in same house and similar room sizes with the only difference was concrete on first floor and and wood 2nd floor sub flooring...ie suck out
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,129
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Are these speakers on the 2nd floor? If so, take your shoes off and stand in front of speaker (within 18") and see how much bass energy you can feel through the floor into your feet.

I have heard and felt huge differences of speakers in same house and similar room sizes with the only difference was concrete on first floor and and wood 2nd floor sub flooring...ie suck out
    It is on the second floor, and I think the placement of the room on the floor plan is a factor.
    2nd floor with large open dining room below.
    Left wall connects to the open stairwell. Right wall connects to attic space. Front wall is an exterior wall. Back wall connects to a walkway that is open/loft style over the living room.

Great for not disrupting other rooms. Not great for possible leaking low frequency energy.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • displayname
    I should add we moved in fairly recently, so haven't done any upstairs vs down with speakers. Nor is that in the plans in the near future.
    Discogs
  • txcoastal1
    Spiked?? On carpet??
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Also, how old is the house? A lot of newer houses with second floor laundry closets use floor joists that are designed to "eat" the vibration energy of the washer and dryer and will absolutely suck the life out of your bass response.

Our townhouse was built this way and even with a sub and a pair of RTA15TLs, the bass energy was just sucked out of the second floor. The energy was there as the windows in my listening room would rattle but you couldn't actually hear anything there.

Just throwing out thoughts. In a concrete bunker of a room I have now, the Elbas are having no trouble loading the room. In fact, Skip was here last week and at one point he mentioned the subs being on. I checked and they actually were not on at that time.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • txcoastal1
    De-couple from your floor with a plinth on top of carpet. If spiked leave them on

• JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,479
    De-couple from your floor with a plinth on top of carpet. If spiked leave them on

I agree with this and previous comments. I have a 100+ year old house and my music room is on the second floor. Spiked, I had the same issue as you. Used Herbie's decouplers and it made a huge difference. Several people on the forum commented when they saw pictures and brought up spikes, coupling, etc. I know, contrary to prevailing logic, but it works for me.
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • displayname
    Thanks for all the input guys!
    Spiked?? On carpet??
    We tried it with and without spikes - virtually no change.
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    Also, how old is the house?
    1969 build
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    Just throwing out thoughts. In a concrete bunker of a room I have now, the Elbas are having no trouble loading the room. In fact, Skip was here last week and at one point he mentioned the subs being on. I checked and they actually were not on at that time.
    Yup, my last house was on a slab with a tile floor. Had more issues taming the bass there as things often got boomy. Big difference in materials.
    We talked about that too. Something I will likely try at some point. Maybe even try a couple different materials. But we did try it with no spikes, and it didn't really have an impact.
    JayCee wrote: »

I agree with this and previous comments. I have a 100+ year old house and my music room is on the second floor. Spiked, I had the same issue as you. Used Herbie's decouplers and it made a huge difference. Several people on the forum commented when they saw pictures and brought up spikes, coupling, etc. I know, contrary to prevailing logic, but it works for me.
    I do have Hebie's decoupling gliders under my rack. I could give those a shot. One more thing to experiment with.

But honestly, I think treatment is going to be required. I noticed a drop in bass on the Usher's too before those went to a new home. It might just be part of the room. But plenty of things to try, and when I find the magic trick (or combo of things) I'll certainly share what works in this room.

Discogs
  • txcoastal1
    You can also try a corner load speaker/system placement design

https://i.imgur.com/WD91E8L.jpgvfi3ns6p145k.png

• displayname
    You can also try a corner load speaker/system placement design

https://i.imgur.com/WD91E8L.jpgvfi3ns6p145k.png
    Room arrangement already has gone through spousal review and sign off. Not missing enough bass to go through that again, lol.

And more importantly, I also have ZERO desire to move our 750+ records again.
    Discogs
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,871
    How about an update?
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • displayname
    marvda1 wrote: »
    How about an update?
    Update is I just got married last weekend so I haven't had as much time to mess with stuff the past couple weeks :)
    It was actually kind of nice to walk away from the system for a week and come home to appreciate it with fresh ears. My mother was also pretty impressed when she got to briefly hear it on her visit. She doesn't really care about audio, but my dad was always into it growing up, and my uncle recently got a $15K+ system she's heard a couple times, so she has more experience than a lot of people actually.

I'm still very happy with everything so far, and I feel confident I've locked in my positioning as best I can. I've written that down so I don't have to put tape down. I've been doing a lot of reading about bass traps and other room treatment options, and hopefully I can start messing with that by early 2021. You'll have to come by at some point to offer your ears and input too!

I can say that these speakers aren't going anywhere, and bass treatments and some digital upgrades are on the figure horizon.
    Discogs
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,909
    Congrats!
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,517
    Hey Willie,
    Congrats on getting married! Probably the best thing I did.
    Regarding your speakers and placement and the room, I have done quite a bit of reading on treatments. I would gladly come over some day and see if I can help you out and hear your system.
    After covid...
    Joey
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    Congratulations on getting married!
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,313
    Congrats!!!!!
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • displayname
    Thanks for all the well wishes everyone! One week down and a lifetime to come :)
    Discogs
  • indyhawg
    indyhawg Posts: 1,636
    Congrats on the marriage.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Update is I just got married last weekend...

Sucker!

JK. Congrats!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • displayname
    Following up on discussions of bass of the Certaldo vs the room...

I've clearly identified some issues caused by the room, most significantly being a massive null around 50 hz at the listening position. I'm going to start a separate thread going into more details of where that bass is building up in the room, and how I'll progressively address it over time.

Figured it would be good to follow up here in the event anyone stumbles on this in the future.
    Discogs
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,550
    5 subwoofers should suffice!

Thank me later