Killer deal on high-end knife .....

124»

Comments

• GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    gyosa wrote: »
    Wow , 3 pages !
    Glad we could get all you polki’s to spend money on something you didn’t know you needed !
    Ha ha

Bk

Add me to the list. Ordered one last night . . . My 1st "real knife" sans my 270mm Tojiro Bread Slicer
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • NotaSuv
    NotaSuv Posts: 3,811
    SNL "Choppin broccoli" Dana Carvay
  • Just ordered one for my wife. Got over 50% off; saw this just in time since extra 25% off ends today. Thanks!!!
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    Awesome pics. The birchwood looks great on your countertop.
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    JayCee wrote: »

The Nakiri and stones:
    wox09lqztpp3.jpg

Nice looking 5000 grit stone. Is that a wooden base? Who made it?

• JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,474
    maxward wrote: »
    Awesome pics. The birchwood looks great on your countertop.
    Thank you.
    delkal wrote: »
    Nice looking 5000 grit stone. Is that a wooden base? Who made it?

Yes on the base. Both stones recommended by @gyosa.
    d363hx9pnuvh.png

The 1000 comes w/what appears to be a silicon base.
    eiigxphjrwh2.png
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • gyosa
    gyosa Posts: 675
    edited November 2020
    Well done !

That Nakiri is a thing of beauty!

Unbelievable edge , ‘eh ?

You’ll be hooked before you know it and looking for deals on more of them ...

The birchwood 3 1/2” paring knife is great ....

Btw , both of those stones need to be soaked a good 15 mins or so - until they stop bubbling - before you use them .

let them air dry before you put them away ..

Congrats!

Now , go look at the Miyabi Black ZDP 189 knives - if you think those birch woods are pretty ....

😂

Bk

Post edited by gyosa on
    Parasound A21 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Polk SDA 1c’s ( my first love .. ) , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Yamaha wxc-50 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

PS Audio Stellar S300 , Eversolo DMP-A8 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Salk Supercharged Song towers ( difficult choice between these and my family if I had to choose ... 😩 ) , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN RIG

Cambridge Audio 851n - sitting in the closet , for now

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO

DAYENS AMPINO ( thanks Verb ! ) , KEiiD streamer ( this was only 60 bucks ?? ) , Polk atrium 8SDi’s - KID’s BEDROOM
  • JayCee
    LOL...stop spending my money!~ Haven't used it, yet, but am going to chop up some cucumbers and tomatoes in a few. Thanks for the suggestions.
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • JayCee
    edited November 2020
    Smooth as silk...

but mind the fingers. Really made a conscious effort to keep my veggie side digits rolled under. My technique is pretty good but have to admit one wrong move and it's possibly finding a doc vs. a Band-Aid.

First go w/salad tomatoes, cuke and carrot. What I expected w/the tomato and cuke but the carrot surprised me. The least bit of effort I've experienced w/a root vegetable. I could've halved or quartered the 1/2" tomato but why stop there? Just because I could...slice after slice and easy follow through w/no side blowout.

So, the question, with practiced sharpening how much sharper can it be? Absolutely no complaints, just thinking out loud.

1djbkx1ewjyk.jpg

Not paper thin but close enough. Don't hate on the knife, hate on the chef.
    b8l1c1hc9kt1.jpg
  • gyosa
    I dunno that they need to be any sharper ...
    I’m sure someone better with a stone than me could do it , though.

I’m able to easily replicate the edge on them when I sharpen ....
    The hardest thing is consistently holding that 12 degree angle on the stone cuz it’s so acute compared to a western edge.

Easy trick - when you’re ready to sharpen first few times , take a sharpie and color JUST the bevel on both sides..... then as you sharpen reference the ink wear on the edge and it’ll let you know exactly how you’re doing .... too acute , obtuse , or just right.

Bk
    Parasound A21 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Polk SDA 1c’s ( my first love .. ) , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Yamaha wxc-50 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

PS Audio Stellar S300 , Eversolo DMP-A8 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Salk Supercharged Song towers ( difficult choice between these and my family if I had to choose ... 😩 ) , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN RIG

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO

DAYENS AMPINO ( thanks Verb ! ) , KEiiD streamer ( this was only 60 bucks ?? ) , Polk atrium 8SDi’s - KID’s BEDROOM
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    @gyosa, thanks for the tip. Just got the Miyabi today. Beautiful and very sharp. The waterstones you recommended will be on the Christmas list unless I jump the gun and order them myself.
  • JayCee
    edited November 2020
    New kid on the magnetic block meets it's big brother. The cheapest knife no longer welcome and kicked to the counter. Not sure how this is called a paring knife compared, blade size, to what I grew up with. This is my first foray into Japanese knives so maybe it's so w/Nippon chefs? My current paring knife references are on the far right.
    dr7p8rkcf0nz.jpg

This'll be perfect for slicing, dicing, chopping and making fast work of small items like garlic, onions, peppers, etc. The birch figuring is darker/more detailed/nicer than the bigger brother:
    bjsbcsb6je6e.jpg
    dff3e9ris2rt.jpg
    azhd4cabolhu.jpg
    ywudlnu7mqtb.jpg

Dare I say...I'll be on the lookout for more Miyabi deals but habitually I've found one favorite knife and tend to use it for everything.
  • gyosa
    edited November 2020
    I’d call it a petty knife ...
    Or prep knife ..
    The 3.5” one is what I’d call a paring knife ....

Regardless , told ya so .....

Awesome , another convert !
    So glad I could spend your money ... LOL

Dare I say , they really are just a joy to use ...

You’ll end up with more ....
    Soon enough , that rack will be full of Japanese knives ....
    Plastic handled knives kicked to the drawer !

If you can’t have a no kidding real Samaurai sword , knives will have to do ... LOL !

Amazing blade , huh ?
    Sharp as “expletive” ... 😂

If you’re hooked , check out the Blacks ....that’s your’s on the right ....

I’m on the lookout for a sale on the black rocking santoku ...

Or a Yoshimi Kato SG2 Bunka ...

what I’m most impressed with is the “thinness” of the Japanese blades ...
    So much easier to use than a thicker western steel blade ....

9b0vysreo7re.png

ftfd2nvynh46.jpg

Bk
    Post edited by gyosa on

• gyosa
    edited November 2020
    One more pic of the collection ...
    Found them all on sale killer deals over the years....

Bk

wvgflplkfuao.jpg

• JayCee
    Yes, the blades are like no other I've used and thin is definitely an immediate distinction. Not sure I'm looking to pay a ton more, so consider me in the mid-fi range of Japanese knives. But, never say never.

I read the insert without researching...advice on handle care other than don't lay in the sink, dishwash, wash off/dry immediately, etc? Any type of oil treatment or conditioner?

I'm keeping my better older knives for abusive conditions and messy meats. Still need something I can slap around and expect it to respect me with a bit of TLC after the fact.
  • gyosa
    edited November 2020
    Go to any drugstore and get a bottle of any generic mineral oil ....
    Few bucks ... cheap - what is considered the “stuff” to use .

Don’t waste money on “designer” oils - they’re all mineral oil based .

It’s what to use on wood cutting boards as well

Slather the handles a few times a couple days apart - let soak in over nite - wipe down in between .... repeat - get a good base.

then they’re protected from germs , gunk , dish soap , etc ... bacteria is resistant to mineral oil , btw.....

Then just once a month or so , or less , as needed , when handles look dry , for maintenance- light coat.

They look good now , oil them and it brings out the luster ....

Bk

• JayCee
    Awesome, thanks.
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    gyosa wrote: »
    Miyabi Birchwood ... these things normally run $240 ...
    Less than $100 with the additional 30% off ....
    Best knife you will ever own ..Japanese Damascus steel and will hold a razor blade edge for a long time in between sharpenings...
    Makes trimming a brisket childs play.

I own this one and several others from the series.

Thanks for this sale tip BK. Belated Thank you!
    That was great price. Dunno if I missed recent Xmas sale pricing, but here I am.
    I find myself wanting/needing another :# I'm looking for a chef knife or a rocking santoku

Pricing is kinda crazy lately, so I'm also considering alternatives. I've got no prob paying the coin for another high quality Miyabi, but sure would like to catch a sale

Any one familiar with Kamikoto? It's a single bevel and 1/2 the price of Miyabi
    I do realize, ya get what ya pay for . . . . just curious what's out there. I'm in no hurry. Might just sit on the fence til a sale pops up

https://kamikoto.com/collections/store/products/7-inch-santoku-knife

btw, great thread!
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • gyosa
    edited January 2022
    Not familiar with that brand .
    I do believe a single bevel edge is more challenging to sharpen correctly, though.
    I do notice they’re not saying what type of steel is used - a warning flag to me.
    With Japanese knives , it’s all about the steel used.

If you like the miyabi , I’d look for a SG2/R2 steel blade , or maybe ZDP-189 steel - although very difficult to sharpen due to its exceptional hardness.
    VG10 would work also, but the SG2/R2 in Damascus would be my first choice.

Try this website … very high quality stuff and reasonably priced.

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/

I have purchased from them in the recent past.
    I’m sure they will have exactly what you’re looking for….

The Yoshimi Kato’s in Damascus SG2 is wicked sharp and a beauty.
    I own one - the Bunka - and it’s my “go to” for just about every task.

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/yosg2bu16.html

Bk
    Post edited by gyosa on