JBL L50's, one more time and rescued by Millersound

While remodeling I pulled the JBL's down to the lab and found the refoam job done 10 years ago by Orange County Speakers had finally given up. So I sent the woofers off to Millersound and Bill did another fantastic job.

In addition to doing the refoam he also checks them over and found the former on one wasn't quite right so he's fixed it for no additional cost. He always does a great job!

I also had redone the crossovers and added some damping to them a decade ago. They are a bit bright but have a tone control and turning that down helps a lot.

Good Stuff!!

gxv6jkr4v5fs.jpg

v7ibmamasbwi.jpg

js5fblioxbyq.jpg
Aaron
Enabler Extraordinaire

Comments

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    Beautes!
    Were they always bright, or was that after the crossover work?
    Would Sonicaps make a difference over Clarity?
    I disabled signatures.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
  • ALL212
    ALL212 Posts: 1,553
    msg wrote: »
    Beautes!
    Were they always bright, or was that after the crossover work?
    Would Sonicaps make a difference over Clarity?

To be honest I don’t remember. It could also be the little Sansui AU222 that’s powering them.

If they stay bright I might try some Mundorfs in them. Not sure if Sonicaps would even out the treble.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    (classic) JBL = bright

B)
  • msg
    Really?!? I did not know this.

Were the L100s the same?
    I disabled signatures.
  • ALL212
    These are basically the same speaker just one generation older.

But lots of changes between those generations!
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • mhardy6647
    Yeah, yeah -- power, schmower.
    Did you try that bad boy in Class A? ;)

16563535215_8b032ed302_b.jpgDSC_0180 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • msg
    edited November 2020
    woh, cool.
    I like those vents.
    ymut9u7cvsey.png

The first piece I saw like that was the Harman Kardon HK990. It was a very beefy and unruly-to-handle piece of gear, and it has vents like that on the top and bottom - convection for the heatsinks, I imagine.
    I disabled signatures.
  • pitdogg2
    ALL212 wrote: »
    Moved up an amp. @SCompRacer might recognize the Yammy.

A lot more power and the treble is better controlled. Actually turned the speaker tweeter controls up.

Yamaha is usually a bit dry but this combo works.

is3crld1xaf1.jpeg
    dagm0q94nwyd.jpeg

Show off...
  • mhardy6647
    edited November 2020
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

A lot more power and the treble is better controlled. Actually turned the speaker tweeter controls up.

is3crld1xaf1.jpeg
    dagm0q94nwyd.jpeg

Show off...

Hey, it work for me :)

The CA-800 is (still) a very nice little integrated IMO. I mean, heck, if it can make a pair of JBL monkey coffins sound good...
    ;)

In all seriousness, those Yamahas (and the very next generation of their integrateds) pair oh-so-well with the Polk Audio "Monitor Series" loudspeakers of the same era. Oh-so-well.

And my appreciation of what the JBLs did/do well has increased substantially in the intervening four-plus decades, I must acknowledge. :)
    woh, cool.
    I like those vents.
    ymut9u7cvsey.png

The first piece I saw like that was the Harman Kardon HK990. It was a very beefy and unruly-to-handle piece of gear, and it has vents like that on the top and bottom - convection for the heatsinks, I imagine.

hk - at least in the olden days - took their heatsinking quite seriously.

14035890691_3d18bb9e8d_b.jpgDSC_9171 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Not sure if you can see the big cast heatshinks on the hk770 in the photo above...

EDIT:
    PS I know youse mugs'll love the speaker cables I was usin' with the hk770 in the photo! :*
  • ALL212
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Yeah, yeah -- power, schmower.
    Did you try that bad boy in Class A? ;)

16563535215_8b032ed302_b.jpgDSC_0180 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

She gets a might toasty when you flip that little switch! But my ears and these speaks don’t really reveal it.

This one has had a “mostly done” recap. There are places I didn’t have the cajones to get into so there are a few originals left.

Calibration required a new meter as they wanted accuracy to 2 full decimal points and my cheapy only did 1.

Anyone listened to “ok go”? Fun band!
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • pitdogg2
    edited November 2020
    If it wasn't known let it be known. I'm a sucker for those old yamaha pieces. Yamaha is one of my all time favorites in audio gear.
    Cut my audio teeth on Yamaha. My first pieces were all yamaha.
    AX500
    AX900 integrateds. I couldn't afford the amps and preamps but I sure wanted them BAD!!
    I cannot remember the CD player
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    Nice speakers. I used to have the L150. I probably should never have sold them and re-do the crossovers but, that was like 15-19 years ago.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited December 2020
    I recognize the rack too. You got my tube tester, old DAC and whatever else I am forgetting. :) That yammy and Polk 7A's were a great match!

In my no longer alive file, you are in there for first dibs on the Salks and some other audio stuff. No worries, the wife knows what they are worth. :D
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • ALL212
    I gots a whole pile o Richies stuff!

Yep... $500 for the Salks if you throw in the Krell. :#
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • pitdogg2
    I gots a whole pile o Richies stuff!

Yep... $500 for the Salks if you throw in the Krell. :#

Oh man talk about beating a man while he's down....shoot I'll give ya $500 for the Krell...
  • SCompRacer
    I dunno, wife already has plans on what to buy with money from audio stuff when I kick off so doubt those low offers will appeal to her. :o:D
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • pitdogg2
    I got skills bro

:D
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    I got skills bro

I got skills bro

Pfft, Ivan has a purse collection he can barter with.,.but don’t tell anyone

2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • pitdogg2
  • SCompRacer
    Dadgumit Ron!

It'll take more than purses.....she's pretty spoiled...lol
  • mhardy6647 wrote: »

is3crld1xaf1.jpeg
    dagm0q94nwyd.jpeg

Show off...

Hey, it work for me :)

The CA-800 is (still) a very nice little integrated IMO. I mean, heck, if it can make a pair of JBL monkey coffins sound good...
    ;)

In all seriousness, those Yamahas (and the very next generation of their integrateds) pair oh-so-well with the Polk Audio "Monitor Series" loudspeakers of the same era. Oh-so-well.

And my appreciation of what the JBLs did/do well has increased substantially in the intervening four-plus decades, I must acknowledge. :)
    woh, cool.
    I like those vents.
    ymut9u7cvsey.png

hk - at least in the olden days - took their heatsinking quite seriously.

14035890691_3d18bb9e8d_b.jpgDSC_9171 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Not sure if you can see the big cast heatshinks on the hk770 in the photo above...

EDIT:
    PS I know youse mugs'll love the speaker cables I was usin' with the hk770 in the photo! :*

That HK amp is the definition of no nonsense, yet stylish! Impressive looking.